Study a language at Griffith
Language learning helps us understand the world around us. Inter-cultural language learning can contribute to our overall education, developing the capabilities to:
- communicate, interact and negotiate within and across languages and cultures
- understand our own and others' languages (extending our insight into how our native language works)
- develop our cognitive skills through analytical thinking, solving problems, and making connections in our learning.
Use language skills as your passport to success.
Find out more about the career possibilities for different languages.
Find out about the programs where you can study languages. Look for double degrees such as Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Business.
- Find out more about the School of Humanities, Languages and Social Science.
Diploma of languages
Griffith University also offers you the opportunity to gain a language qualification, with our Diploma of Languages, available in Chinese, Spanish, Japanese and Italian, at both the Nathan and Gold Coast campuses.
The Diploma of Languages is available as a stand-alone program, for those who are not enrolled in any degree program at Griffith University. It is also available as a concurrent program with selected Bachelor degrees.
- Find out more about the Diploma of Languages.
Brisbane Universities Languages Alliance - An extra 6 languages
Griffith University, Queensland University of Technology and The University of Queensland have formed an alliance to give you more opportunities to incorporate language studies into your degree. This initiative is supported by the Australian Government. The alliance is called the Brisbane Universities Languages Alliance (BULA) and it allows you to study the language you are interested in whether you are enrolled at Griffith, QUT, or UQ.
If you are a student of one of these three universities and your degree allows you to take language courses as electives or to major in a language, you will be able to study any of the ten languages that are taught by the BULA, no matter which is your home university. The major or electives will be credited back at your home university.
Languages include: Chinese, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish. All languages, except Portuguese, are available from beginner to advanced level.
- Find out more about the extra languages you can study through the Brisbane Universities Languages Alliance.