Professional and Career Development Loan
Who qualifies for a Professional and Career Development Loan
- be 18 or over
- have been living in the UK for at least 3 years before your course starts
- plan to work in the United Kingdom, European Union or European Economic Area after the course.
HOW TO APPLY
- Find out which banks offer the loan and order an application pack by calling the National Careers service on 0800 100 900 (find out about call charges) or request a call back.
- Fill in the application form and send it to the bank.
- The bank will decide if you qualify for a loan.
- You take out the loan with the bank and agree to their repayment conditions.
You should apply three months before your course starts to give the bank enough time to process your application.
Which courses qualify
- only last up to 2 years, or 3 years if they include 1 year of work experience
- be provided by an organisation on the Professional Career and Development Loan Register—check with your course provider
- help with your career—they don’t have to lead to a qualification.
Please note: You can’t get Professional and Career Development Loans for first full-time degrees, but you can apply for student finance.
Repayment and interest
Professional and Career Development Loans are bank loans that have to be paid back. You start repaying the loan (plus interest at a reduced rate) one month after leaving your course.
The government pays the interest while you study and for one month after you leave your course. After this time, you start repaying the loan and interest.
Please notes: You have to repay your loan even if you don’t complete the course or your course provider goes out of business.
Getting advice about Career Development Loans
Contact National Careers Service for further advice on Professional and Career Development Loans.