Student visa holders
This policy applies for all Griffith English Language Institute (GELI) programs with the exception of the Direct Entry Program - Preparation, Direct Entry Program.
- Leave will not be approved once a student has commenced the final 10-week Direct Entry Program (DEP)
- Leave will not be approved if a student has any fees currently owing to GELI.
- Leave may not be approved if a student’s attendance has at any time fallen below 80%.
- Students may apply for a period of 5 weeks leave after 25 weeks of continuous study. The start and end date of approved leave must correspond with the start and end date of a GELI 5-week English language program.
- Students must apply in writing a minimum of 10 working days prior to the commencement of the requested leave period. The request must be submitted on the GELI Application for Leave of Absence form, giving full reasons for the request. The request will be assessed and the outcome advised in writing. Students must continue to attend class until notified of the outcome of the application.
If a student takes leave without approval or does not return on the approved re-commencement date the GELI’s Attendance Policy will apply and the student will be marked absent from class until the student re-commences study. This may impact on the student’s visa.
Sponsored students are required to provide written permission from the Sponsor before a leave application can be considered. Students are expected to return home during an approved leave of absence.
Under 18 students
Leave will not be approved for students less than 18 years of age except in exceptional circumstances.