Dedicated equipment to facilitate drug discovery
GRIDD is located in two adjacent buildings housing biology and chemistry laboratories on the Nathan campus of Griffith University in Brisbane.
Explore our wide-ranging facilities, equipment and services below.
Our Unique Resources
Access NatureBank’s collection of 60,000 natural product fractions ready for screening against any disease.
Australia's only dedicated compound management facility, Compounds Australia connects chemists and biologists for drug discovery research.
Purpose-built research spaces
Our facilities include dedicated equipment and areas for:
- analysis of biota
- compound management
- high-throughput screening
- medicinal, natural product, combinatorial, synthetic and structural chemistry
- native state mass spectrometry suite
- cell and molecular biology
- in-vitro cell culture
- animal models of disease.
Shared facilities and cell culture areas
Our shared facilities include equipment for:
- high-performance liquid chromatography
- liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry
- advanced microscopy and image analysis
- histology and immunocytochemistry
Our cell culture facilities are dedicated to in-vitro growth of human cells from patient biopsies, animal cells from animal disease models and infectious parasites.
GRIDD maintains a core of industry-standard drug discovery infrastructure.
- 4 mass spectrometers
- 2 nuclear magnetic resonance spectrometers
- X-ray crystallography facility with a Rigaku X-ray diffractometer
- automated liquid handling and dispensing equipment and analytical detection systems suitable for screening cell-based and cell-free assays by fluorescence, luminescence, colorimetric and radioactive technologies. High throughput imaging of cells is enabled by Perkin Elmer Opera and Operetta High Content confocal screening systems and an InCell Epifluorescent Cell imaging analyser
- high-throughput imaging and high content screening equipment including Perkin Elmer Opera and Operetta High Content confocal screening systems, and an InCell Epifluorescent Cell imaging analyser
- high-resolution microscopy, live cell imaging, and 3D image analysis
- 3D imaging enabled by an Olympus FV1000 confocal laser imaging system with spectral scanner, and Zeiss AxioImager Apotome Imaging system, and live cell imaging by Zeiss high-speed AxioObserver cell imaging system and an Olympus IX81 live cell imaging system.
Read more about the world-class technology assisting our research
High-resolution accurate mass measurement service
GRIDD provides high-resolution mass measurement to determine the molecular formula of chemical entities as a service for Griffith researchers and external organisations.
The sample submission form and guidelines are provided below.
Contact facility manager Dr Wendy Loa for details and quotes to use this service.
Nuclear magnetic resonance spectrometry
The GRIDD NMR facility is equipped with cutting-edge instruments, including a Bruker Avance III HDX 800 MHz with cryoprobe and a Bruker Avance III HD 500 MHz. The facility supports the investigation of molecular structures of small molecules.
These instruments were funded in part from a 2013 Australian Research Council LIEF grant, with installation completed in mid-2015. The 800 MHz NMR is part of the NMR regional network for South-East QLD and Northern NSW, which features five universities: Griffith University, Queensland University of Technology, University of New England, University of the Sunshine Coast and Southern Cross University.
Subject to availability, the GRIDD NMR facility is open to all Griffith University users, with access available via an online booking system.
Users receive training and an operator license from the facility manager, Dr Wendy Loa, after which they run their own NMR experiments. Dr Loa also supports users in NMR data acquisition and processing. Sample submission is fully automated and the NMR data is emailed to the user.
The GRIDD NMR facility offers structural elucidation services to external organisations and companies. Contact facility manager Dr Wendy Loa for details and quote