BHSc, M Arts, PhD
Associate Professor, School of Humanities
- Political Islam
- Israel-Palestine conflict
- Media framing of Muslims
- Contextualisation and higher objectives (maqasid) in Islamic thought
Current teaching areas
- Islam in the Modern World (1603HUM)
- Islam, Media and Conflict (2611HUM)
- Advanced Islamic Studies (3609HUM)
- Muslim World Study Tour (3610HUM)
- Islam-West Relations (3612HUM)
- Halim Rane, Jacqui Ewart and John Martinkus (2014) Media Framing of the Muslim World: Crises, Conflicts and Contexts, Palgrave Macmillan, New York.
- Eulalia Han and Halim Rane (2013) Making Australian Foreign Policy on Israel-Palestine: Media Coverage, Public Opinion and Interest Groups, Melbourne University Press, Carlton.
- Halim Rane (2010) Islam and Contemporary Civilisation: Evolving Ideas, Transforming Relations, Melbourne University Press, Carlton.
- Halim Rane, Jacqui Ewart and Mohamad Abdalla (eds.) (2010), Islam and the Australian News Media, Melbourne University Press, Carlton.
- Halim Rane (2009), Reconstructing Jihad amid Competing International Norms, Palgrave Macmillan, New York.
- Mark Pearson, Jeffrey Brand, Deborah Archbold and Halim Rane (2001) Sources of News and Current Affairs, E-Publications@Bond.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Halim Rane (2013) ‘The Relevance of a Maqasid Approach for Political Islam Post Arab Revolutions’ Journal of Law and Religion, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 489-520.
- Jacqui Ewart and Halim Rane (2013) ‘The Framing of 9/11 and Australian Television’s Framing of the Tenth Anniversary', Communication, Politics and Culture, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 74-92.
- Halim Rane and Jacqui Ewart (2013) ‘Reflections on 9/11: Muslim and Non-Muslim Responses Ten Years On’, Journal of Muslim Minority Affairs, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 155-170.
- Jacqui Ewart and Halim Rane (2013) ‘Talking about 9/11: The Influence of Media Images on Australian Muslims and non-Muslims’ Recollections of 9/11’, Australian Journal of Communication, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 137-151.
- Halim Rane and Bridget Minogue (2013) ‘Turkey’s Role on the Diffusion of Democracy in the MENA Region’, National Centre of Excellence for Islamic Studies Research Papers, vol. 5, no. 8, pp. 1-28.
- Halim Rane and Jacqui Ewart (2012) ‘The Framing of Islam and Muslims in the Tenth Anniversary Coverage of 9/11’, Journal of Muslim Minority Affairs, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 310-322.
- Halim Rane and Abdi Hersi (2012 ‘Meanings of integration in the Australian press coverage of Muslims: Implications for social inclusion and exclusion’, Media International Australia, no. 142, February, pp. 135-147.
- Halim Rane and Sumra Salem (2012) ‘Social Media, Social Movements and the Diffusion of Ideas in the Arab Uprisings’, Journal of International Communication, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 97-111.
- Eulalia Han and Halim Rane (2011) 'Australian Public Opinion on the Israel-Palestine Conflict: Implications in the Context of Arab Revolutions', Australian Journal of Political Science, vol.46, no.4, pp. 617-632.
- Eulalia Han and Halim Rane (2011) 'Australian press and public opinion on the Israel–Palestine conflict', Media International Australia, no.141, pp. 58-69.
- Jacqui Ewart and Halim Rane (2011) 'Moving on from 9/11: How Australian Television Reported the Ninth Anniversary', Journal of Media and Religion, vol.10, no.2, pp. 55-72.
- Halim Rane (2011) 'The Impact of Maqāṣid al-Sharīʿah on Islamist Political Thought: Implications for Islam–West Relations', Islam and Civilisational Renewal, vol.2, no.2, pp. 337-357.
- Halim Rane, Mahmood Nathie, Ben Isakhan, Mohamad Abdalla (2011) 'Towards Understanding What Australia’s Muslims Really Think', Journal of Sociology, vol.47, no.2, pp. 123-143.
- Halim Rane (2009) 'Jihad, Competing Norms and the Israel-Palestine Impasse', Australian Journal of International Affairs, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 41-63.
- Halim Rane and Mohamad Abdalla (2008) 'Mass Media Islam: the impact of media imagery on public opinion', Australian Journalism Review, vol.30, no.1 pp. 39-49.
- Halim Rane (2008), 'Maqasid, Contextualisation and Social Science: Towards a Contemporary Methodology of Interpreting the Quran', Islamic Perspective, vol.1, no.2, pp. 55-85.
- Halim Rane (2007) 'Reformulating Jihad in the Context of the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict: A Theoretical Framework', Global Change, Peace & Security, vol.19, no.2, pp. 127-147.
- Halim Rane (2012) ‘Social Inclusion in the Context of Foreign Policy Debates: Reflections on Jihad, Human Rights and Gender Equality in Islam’, in Women in Islam: Reflections on Historical and Contemporary Research by T. Lovat (ed.), Springer, New York.
- Halim Rane and Sumra Salem (2012) ‘Social Media, Social Movements and the Diffusion of Ideas in the Arab Revolutions’, in The Arab Revolutions in Context: Civil Society and Democracy in a Changing Middle East by B. Isakhan, F. Mansouri and S. Akbarzadeh (eds.), Melbourne University Press, Carlton.
- Halim Rane (2011) 'Human Rights through the Lens of Islamic Legal Thought', in Human Rights in the Middle East: Frameworks, Goals, and Strategies by M. Monshipouri (ed.), Palgrave Macmillan, New York.
- Mohamad Abdalla and Halim Rane (2011) 'Behind a Veil: Islam's Democratic History', in The Secret History of Democracy by B. Isakhan and S. Stockwell (eds.), Palgrave Macmillan, London.
- Halim Rane (2010) 'Media Content and Inter-Community Relations', in Islam and the Australian News Media by H. Rane, J. Ewart and M. Abdalla, Melbourne University Press, Carlton.
- Mohamad Abdalla and Halim Rane (2009) 'Islam and the Struggle for Democracy', in Foreign Policy Challenges in the 21st Century by M. Heazle, M. Griffiths and T. Conley (eds.), Edward Elgar, Cheltenham.