B Arts, M Arts, PhD
- First and second language acquisition
- Comparative Syntax
- Generative grammar
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Language and gender
Current teaching areas
- Linguistics/applied linguistics
Research supervision areasIntercultural/cross-cultural communication; gender and language, in particular gender representation and stereotyping; second language teaching methodologies; first and second language acquisition.
- 2003 (with A.J. Liddicoat and S. Trevaskes, eds) Australian Perspectives on Internationalising Education. Melbourne: Language Australia.
- 1997 (with C. Boucquey and C. Poyatos Matas) Les Mains dans les Poches: Cent Activités d'Expression Orale. Brisbane: Boombana Publications.
- 1996 (with T. Miceli, S. Visocnik Murray, and C. Poyatos Matas) L'Asso nella Manica: Cento Attivita per Imparare a Comunicare in Italiano, Books A and B. Brisbane: Boombana Publications.
- 1994 (with C. Poyatos Matas) 100 Actividades para Hablar hasta por los Codos, Brisbane: Boombana Publications.
Edited Volumes/Special Issues
- 2015 (with Andrea C. Schalley and Diana Guillemin) Multilingualism and Literacy: Attitudes and Policies, Special Issue, International Journal of Multilingualism 12(2).
- 2007 (with S. Trevaskes), Intercultural competence: Examples of internationalizing the curriculum through students' interactions, in D. Palfreyman and D. McBride (eds) Learning and Teaching Across Cultures in Higher Education, Palgrave Macmillan, New York, pp. 177-192.
- 2006 Zapatista National Revolutionary Army, in T. M. Leonard (ed.) Encyclopedia of the Developing World, Routledge, London, pp. 1753-1754.
- 2006 Shining Path/Sendero Luminoso, in T. M. Leonard (ed.) Encyclopedia of the Developing World, Routledge, London, pp. 1403-1404.
- 2003 (with S. Trevaskes and A.J.Liddicoat) Internationalisation: The slow move from rhetoric to practice in Australian universities, in A.J. Liddicoat, S. Eisenchlas and S.Trevaskes (eds) Australian Perspectives on Internationalising Education. Melbourne, VIC: Language Australia, pp. 141-149.
- 2003 (with S. Trevaskes) Internationalisation at home: Some principles and practice, in A.J. Liddicoat, S. Eisenchlas and S.Trevaskes (eds) Australian Perspectives on Internationalising Education. Melbourne, VIC: Language Australia, pp. 87-102.
- 2003 (with S. Trevaskes and A.J. Liddicoat) Language, culture and literacy in the internationalisation process of higher education, in A.J. Liddicoat, S. Eisenchlas and S.Trevaskes (eds) Australian Perspectives on Internationalising Education. Melbourne, VIC: Language Australia, pp. 1-12.
- 2001 Argentinians in Queensland, in M. Brändle (ed.) Multicultural Qld 2001. Brisbane: Department of the Premier and Cabinet, p. 57.
- 2001 Colombians in Queensland, in M. Brändle (ed.) Multicultural Qld 2001. Brisbane: Department of the Premier and Cabine, p. 101.
- 2001 Israelis in Queensland, in M. Brändle (ed.) Multicultural Qld 2001. Brisbane: Department of the Premier and Cabinet, p. 206-207.
Refereed journal articles
- 2015 (with Andrea C. Schalley and Diana Guillemin). Multilingualism and literacy: attitudes and policies. International Journal of Multilingualism 12(2): 151-161.
- 2015 (with Andrea C. Schalley and Diana Guillemin). Multilingualism and assimilationism in Australia’s literacy-related educational policies. International Journal of Multilingualism 12(2): 162-177.
- 2013 Gender roles and expectations: Any changes online? SAGE Open 3/4, pp. 1–11. DOI: 10.1177/2158244013506446.
- 2013 (with A. C. Schalley and D. Guillemin) The importance of literacy in the home language: The view from Australia. Sage Open 3/4: 1–14 DOI: 10.1177/2158244013507270.
- 2013 (with E. Venables and A. C. Schalley) One-parent-one-language (OPOL) families: is the majority language-speaking parent instrumental in the minority language development? International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, DOI: 10.1080/13670050.2013.816263
- 2013 (with R. Simpson and M. Haugh) The functions of self-initiated self-repair in the second language Chinese classroom. International Journal of Applied Linguistics, 23/2, pp. 144-165.
- 2012 Gendered discursive practices on-line. Journal of Pragmatics, 44/4, pp. 335-345
- 2012 (with R. V. Landor) “Coming Clean” on Duty of Care: Australian Print Media’s Representation of Male Versus Female Sex Offenders in Institutional Contexts. Sexuality & Culture, 16/4, pp. 486-502
- 2012 (with A. C. Schalley and D. Guillemin) Schools Transforming Multilinguals into Illiterates? Language on the Move, July 13 2012, Available online.
- 2011 (with C. Tsurutani) You sound attractive! Perceptions of accented English in a multilingual environment. Australian Review of Applied Linguistics, 34/2, pp. 216-236.
- 2011 On-line interactions as a resource to raise pragmatic awareness. Journal of Pragmatics 43, pp. 51-61.
- 2010 Conceptualising 'communication' in foreign language instruction. Babel, 44/2, pp. 12-21.
- 2009 Conceptualising 'communication' in second language acquisition. Australian Journal of Linguistics, 29/1, pp, 45 - 58.
- 2007 (with S. Trevaskes), Developing intercultural communication skills through intergroup interaction. Intercultural Education, 18/5, pp. 413-425.
- 2006 (with M. Laughren), The role of animacy and definiteness in the clitic-DP nexus. In A. Keith (ed.) Selected papers from the 2005 conference of the Australian Linguistic Society, ALS website. Available online.
- 2003 (with S. Trevaskes) Teaching Intercultural Communication in the University Setting: An Australian Perspective. Intercultural Education, 14/4, pp.397-408.
- 2003 Clitics in Child Spanish. First Language 23/2, pp.193-211.
- 2003 (with S. Trevaskes) Creating Cultural Spaces in the Australian University Setting: A Pilot Study of Structured Cultural Exchanges. Australian Review of Applied Linguistic, 26/2, pp.84-100.
- 1999 (with H. Hortiguera) Beyond the Classroom: the Hispanic community as a resource for teaching and learning. Babel 34/3: 16-20.
- 1997 (with H. Hortiguera) 'Más allá de la clase: La comunidad hispana como recurso pedagógico en la enseñanza del español.' In E. Miyares Bermúdez (ed.) Memorias: V Simposio Internacional de Comunicación Social. University of Twente: The Netherlands, pp. 237-244.
- 1996 Transferencia lingüística en la adquisición bilingüe simultánea del español e inglés. Estudios de Lingüística Aplicada 23/24; 305-317.
- 2014 (with Andrea C. Schalley). Bilingualism and raising bilingual children. Raising Children Network. The Australian Parenting Website. Available online.
- 2013 (with Gordon Moyes, Milenko Tunjic, Andrea C. Schalley and Alexander Borkowski). Bubbles, Handball and Zoo. Video games supporting self-directed literacy acquisition in German-English bilingual children. Griffith Film School, Brisbane, Australia.
- 2013 (with Andrea C. Schalley) Bilingualism: Myths and realities. Journal of the Modern Language Teachers Association of Queensland (MLTAQ), vol.158: 3-7.
- 2012 (with Andrea C. Schalley and Diana Guillemin). Schools transforming multilinguals into illiterates? Language on the Move Research Blog. Available online.