B Arts, PhD
Lecturer, School of Humanities
- Media, insurgency and political violence
- Cmmunication, culture and identity politics
- Ethno-nationalist media and armed conflict
- Journalism practice
Current teaching areas
- Bowman, Leo Frederic & Ubayasiri, Kasun (2012) Talking it through : the case for the use of conversation analytic approaches in the analysis of news journalism. eJournalist, 12(1), pp. 1-13.
- Rumblings in the UN: Domestic press coverage of US and Sri Lankan narratives of peace and reconciliation in Sri Lanka, Ejournalist, Vol. 12(1), pp. 60-85, 2012
- Ubayasiri, K. (2002). Internet and Media freedom: A case study of contemporary media censorship in Sri Lanka and the emergence of web-based rebel media. Asia Pacific Media Educator, Issue 12/13.
- Knight, A. and Ubayasiri, K. (2002). eTerror: Journalism, Terrorism and the Internet. Ejournalist vol 2(1).
- Knight, A. and Ubayasiri, K. (2002). Terrorism on the World Wide Web Gulf Media Review, vol 1(1).
- Ubayasiri, K. and Brady L. (2002). One Temple, One Bomb and Three lines of Political Narrative. Ejournalist, vol 3(2).
- Ubayasiri, K. (2004). Virtual hostage dramas and real politics. Ejournalist vol 4(2).
- Ubayasiri, K. (2004). A virtual Eelam - Democracy, Internet and Sri Lanka’s Tamil struggle. In Steven Gan, James Gomez and Uwe Johannen (ed.). Asian Cyberactivism: Freedom of Expression and Media Censorship. Thailand: Friedrich Naumann Foundation.
- Ubayasiri, K. (2005). Separatist politics of a tsunami: A Sri Lankan case study. Ejournalist vol 5(1).
- Ubayasiri, K. (2005). Nations: Historical and contemporary – imagined communities and a bloody conflict. Ejournalist, vol 5(2).
- Ubayasiri, K. (2006). Sri lanka-failed peace talks. South Asia Analysis Group, paper 1856.
- Ubayasiri, K. (2006). An illusive leader’s annual speech. Ejournalist, vol 6(1).
- Ubayasiri, K. (2006). Fragile peace or prelude to war? South Asia Analysis Group, paper 1679.
- Ubayasiri, K. (2006). Tamilnet and the International press: Global coverage of a radical press. Ejournalist, vol 6(1).
- Ubayasiri, K. (2007). The SLFP proposal for peace and turning the clock back. South Asia Analysis Group, paper 2232.
- Ubayasiri, K. (2007). Tamileelam air force: its military, political and psychological realities in the south. South Asia Analysis Group, paper 2230.
- Ubayasiri, K. (2008). LTTE narratives in Tamilnet: Independent media or Tiger proxy. Ejournalist, vol 8(2).
- Ubayasiri, K. (2009). Technology in conflict reportage: News gathering during the final days of the Sri Lankan Civil War. Global Media Journal – Australian edition.
- Ubayasiri, K. (2010). Sri Lankan presidential election 2010: preliminary observations - an ethnic polarisation. South Asia Analysis Group, paper 3634.
- Ubayasiri, K. (2010). Sri Lankan election and international politics. South Asia Analysis Group, paper 3621.