PhD, BA (Hons) App Theatre, BComn
Adjunct Research Fellow
- Foreign Language Learning through Drama
- Cross-language qualitative research
- Language Teacher Education
- Drama Education
Current teaching areas
- Italian Cinema and Theatre
- Italian as a Foreign Language
- Arts Education
- Process drama
- 2014 (with P. Bundy and J. Dunn) Sociocultural theory, process drama and Second Language learning, in Sue Davis, Hannah Grainger Clemson, Beth Ferholt, Satu-Mari Jansson, Ana Marjanovic-Shane (eds.), Dramatic Interactions in Education: Vygotskian and Socio-cultural Approaches to Drama, Education and Research, New York, Bloomsbury.
- 2013 (with M. Stinson) Drama for additional language learning: Dramatic contexts and pedagogical possibilities, in Julie Dunn and Michael Anderson (eds.), How drama activates learning: Contemporary research and practice, London, Continuum.
- 2012 Film and drama aesthetics for additional language teaching, in Joseph Winston (ed.), Second language learning through Drama, London, David Fulton.
- 2015 Translation in Cross-language Qualitative Research: Pitfalls and Opportunities. Translation and Translanguaging in Multilingual Contexts, 1(1), 80-102.
- 2015 Reflection in Action in Cross-Language Qualitative Research. Qualitative Research Journal, 15(1), 74-85.
- 2014 Engagement as perception-in-action in process drama for teaching and learning Italian as a Second Language. International Journal for Language Studies 8, 2: 91-116.
- 2014 The authentic teacher: Heathcote’s notion of “authenticity” in Second Language teaching and learning. Drama Research Journal 5, 1.
- 2014 (with C. Kennedy) Drama: Threat or opportunity? Managing the “dual affect” in process drama for additional language learning. Scenario 7, 1.
- 2013 The silent gaps in the data: What do participants say about engagement when experiencing process drama to learn an additional language Drama Research, 4, 1.
- 2012 Engage or entertain? The nature of teacher/participant collaboration in process drama for additional language teaching Scenario, 6, 2.
- 2011 Process drama: The use of affective space to reduce language anxiety in the additional language learning classroom, Research in Drama Education 16, 4: 557-574.
- 2011 Didattica process drama: Principi di dbase, estetica e coinvolgimento. Italiano LinguaDue. Milano: Università degli Studi.
- 2010 Process drama and intercultural language learning: An experience of contemporary Italy Research in Drama Education 15, 3: 385-402.
- 2010 Process drama and additional language teaching: Reflections on the Dante Alighieri Immersion Weekends Applied Theatre Researcher IDEA Journal, 11:1-12.
Articles in specialised magazines
- 2012 Process drama: Aneddoto contro la sonnolenza. 23-26. Download a copy of Officina.it magazine (PDF 4.5MB).
- 2010 'The power of “teacher in role” Journal of Modern Language Teachers' Association of Queensland 149, MLTAQ inc., Brisbane.
- 2009 Metodologia process drama e competenza interculturale. Culturiana September 2009: 69-73.