BSc, B Arts (Hons), PhD
Cassamarca Senior Lecturer in Italian Studies at the School of Humanities, Languages and Social Studies
- Language teaching methodology, especially computer assisted language learning
- Multilingualism and language change among immigrant communities in Australia
- Italian politics
Current teaching areas
- Italian language
- Italian society and politics
Research supervision areas
Claire's principal research area is language teaching methodologies, and has a particular interest in the application of computer-based technology to language learning and teaching. She is currently involved in experimenting with wikis and blogs to extend students' opportunities for reading and writing practice outside class and for building a sense of community in language classes. She is also investigating the implications of CALL for language students' motivation. A second area in which she has recently begun to work is that of sociolinguistics, and in particular the language repertoires of first, second and third generation Italians in Australia.
Edited journal special issues and peer-reviewed conference proceedings
- 2011 (with C. Dewhirst and F. Ricatti, eds) 150 Years of Italians in Queensland, Special issue of Spunti e ricerche, vol. 24.
- 2002 (ed.) Proceedings of the Innovations in Italian Teaching workshop, Griffith University, Brisbane.
- 2011 (with D. Moss) Anomaly in the Academy: Italian Studies in Australia. In D. Moss and G. Moliterno (eds), Italy under the Southern Cross: An Australasian Celebration of Dino De Poli and the Cassamarca Foundation, Australasian Centre for Italian Studies, Perth.
- 2005 (with M. Levy) Learning Italian via mobile SMS. In A. Kukulska-Hulme and J. Traxler (eds), Mobile Learning: A handbook for educators and trainers, Routledge, London.
- 2002 (with T. Miceli) The CWIC project: Developing and using a corpus for intermediate Italian students. In B. Kettemann and G. Marko (eds) Teaching and Learning by Doing Corpus Analysis, Rodopi, Amsterdam.
- 2011 (with C. Dewhirst and F. Ricatti) 150 Years of Italians in Queensland: An introduction, Spunti e ricerche 24: 8-21.
- 2010 (with M. Levy) Materials development in three Italian CALL projects: Seeking an optimal mix between in-class and out-of-class learning, CALICO Journal 27, 3: 529-539.
- 2010 (with T. Miceli) Corpus-assisted creative writing: Introducing intermediate Italian learners to a corpus as a reference resource, Language Learning and Technology 14, 1: 28-44.
- 2010 (with T. Miceli and S. Visocnik Murray) Using an L2 blog to enhance learners’ participation and sense of community, Computer Assisted Language Learning 23, 4: 321-341.
- 2009 (with M. Levy) Sustainability and computer-assisted language learning: Factors for success in a context of change, Computer Assisted Language Learning 22, 5: 445-463.
- 2008 (with M. Levy) L’italiano al telefonino: Using SMS to support beginners’ language learning, ReCALL 20, 3: 315-330.
- 2004 (with M. Levy) A task-cycling pedagogy using stimulated reflection and audio-conferencing in foreign language learning, Language Learning and Technology 8, 2: 50-68.
- 2002 (with D. Moss) Still the good Europeans? The Italian general election of May 2001, Australasian Parliamentary Review 17, 1: 26-48.
- 2001 (with T. Miceli) An evaluation of intermediate students’ approaches to corpus investigation, Language Learning and Technology 5, 3: 77-90.
- 2000 (with T. Miceli) CALL in a communicative context: A study of students’ conversation at a multimedia workstation, Babel 35, 1: 18-23.
- 1999 (with T. Miceli) Italia oggi: un videodisco per l'apprendimento dell'italiano L2, S.I.&N.A. 4, Universita’ per Stranieri di Siena, Italy.
- 1997 Cosa 2: A new start for the PDS in the Veneto?, ConVivio 3, 1: 27-39.
- 1996 (with D. Moss) The end of democracy, Italian-style? The elections of 21 April 1996, Contemporary European Studies Association of Australia Newsletter 16, University of Melbourne, Melbourne.
- 1995 (with T. Miceli and S. Visocnik Murray) Italia oggi: A multimedia window on contemporary Italy, On-CALL 9.
Publications in peer-reviewed conference proceedings
- 2004 (with T. Miceli and S. Visocnik Murray) "Stimulated Reflection": A technique for language learners. In B. Bartlett, F. Bryer, & D. Roebuck (eds) Educating: Weaving Research into Practice, Proceedings of Second Annual International Conference on Cognition, Language, and Special Education Research, Griffith Institute for Educational Research, Griffith University, Brisbane.
- 2002 (with T. Miceli) An apprenticeship with the CWIC corpus: A tool for learner writers in Italian. In C. Kennedy (ed.) Proceedings of the Innovations in Italian Teaching Workshop, Griffith University, Brisbane.
- 1996 (with T. Miceli and S. Visocnik Murray) Italia oggi: A multimedia window on Italian grammar. In C. Arbonés Solà, J. Rolin-Ianziti, & R. Sussex. (eds) Proceedings of Who's Afraid of Teaching Grammar? conference, published as Working Papers in Language and Linguistics #1, Centre for Language Teaching Research, University of Queensland, Brisbane.
- 2000 Nine entries on selected political leaders and newspapers in G. Moliterno (ed.) Encyclopedia of Contemporary Italian Culture, Routledge, London.