B Arts (Hons), Dip Education, PhD
- Literary studies
- Queensland cultural history
- Music as cultural history
- 'Writing from the Hinterland: Eleanor Dark's Queensland Years', Queensland Review, 8.2 (2001), 21-28.
- '"The One Jarring Note": Race and Gender in Queensland Women's Writing to 1939', Queensland Review, 8.1 (2001), 31-54.
- 'Constructing a Life on the Northern Frontier: E.A.C. Olive of Cooktown.' Queensland Review 7.2 (2000).
- Editor, Unmasking Whiteness: Race Relations and Reconciliation. Brisbane: Queensland Studies Centre, 1999.
- 'A State of Harmony? Music of the Deep North.' Queensland Review 5(1), April 1998.
- 'Arts at the edge' in Malcolm Gillies (ed) Northern Exposures Occasional Paper 19. Canberra: Australian Academy of the Humanities, 1997: 121-136.
- 'Songs without Words? The Encoding of Words into Music' Notes and Furphies 36, April 1996: 14-18.
- 'Engendering Music: Nancy Weir and Musical Biography.' in Kay Ferres (ed) Coastscripts, Brisbane: AIWRAP, 1995: 27-42.