Transformation, equality and leadership
- Tuesday 28 November 2017
- 9 am - 5 pm
- Griffith University, Gold Coast campus, Parklands Drive, Building G42, Level 4
To this end, Griffith University’s Centre for Social and Cultural Research, together with the Department of Tourism, Sport and Hotel Management are hosting an interactive symposium, bringing together leading academics with industry professionals to share ideas, innovate and network.
The day will cover four key themes, i) Media, ii) Governance and Leadership, iii) Mega and Major Sport Events, and iv) Grassroots Participation, in a single stream format. Panelists are experts in their area, working specifically in the field of women and sport, or they are industry representatives with experiences to share.
Each panel will be followed with round table activities where industry and academic representatives can discuss and brainstorm a range of issues related to women’s growing participation in sport.
This is a free event but spaces are limited. We encourage anyone interested in supporting women and girls participation in sport (at all levels, from the boardroom to the locker room) to come along and engage in dialogue to help develop new pathways and opportunities.
The event will conclude with drinks and canapes to enable further networking and discussion.
- Professor Simone Fullagar, Physical Cultural Studies Research Group, University of Bath, UK
- Professor Kristine Toohey, AM Department of Tourism, Sport and Hotel Management, Griffith University
- Dr Sarah Kelly, UQ Business School and Director on the board of the Brisbane Lions AFL club.
- Dr Kim Toffoletti, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Deakin University
- Glynis Nunn-Cearns OAM, Board Member, Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Corporation Executive Director, Australian Track and Field Coaches Association
- Sam Hughes, Senior Active Parks Officer, City of Gold Coast
- Keeown Rawnsley, Female Participation Coordinator at the National Rugby League
- Danielle Warby, Journalist and advocate for women in sport
- Anne Marie White OAM, award winning author and journalist
- A/Professor Popi Sotiriadou, Griffith University, Department of Tourism, Sport and Hotel Management
- Kerry Harris, Executive Manager Corporate Services, West Australian Football Commission
Hosted by the Griffith Centre for Social and Cultural Research, with support from the Department of Tourism, Sport and Hotel Management
To register please follow this link: Registration to attend Women and Sport Symposium