Under the Higher Degree Research Policy, candidates admitted to candidature from 1 January 2011 are required to complete a mid candidature milestone. Candidates who commenced prior to this date are encouraged to complete this milestone.
*Note: Candidates commencing or not yet confirmed in their Higher Degree Research Program from 1 January 2017 are required to complete the Thesis and Candidature Review Milestone (TCRM) in lieu of the Mid-Candidature Milestone.
Current candidates are encouraged to complete the Thesis and Candidature Review Milestone in lieu of the Mid-Candidature Milestone. Candidates who wish to complete the Thesis and Candidature Review Milestone are required to advise the Griffith Graduate Research School via email to hdr-milestones to enable their record to be amended accordingly.
Higher degree research mid candidature milestone policies
Objectives of the mid candidature milestone
The purpose of this milestone is to:
- assess whether the candidate is on track to complete the thesis and submit by the due date.
- identify any problems/difficulties that have caused or are likely to cause an impediment to progress.
- assist the candidate to publish during candidature.
Exemptions from completing the mid candidature milestone
Exemptions from completing the mid candidature milestone include:
- Doctor of Philosophy (by Prior Publication) candidates
- candidates enrolled in a research masters program other than the Master of Philosophy may have different requirements and should consult with their Program Director.
Time frames for completing the mid candidature milestone
It is expected that the mid candidature milestone occur within the following time frames
|Doctor of Philosophy
|Master of Philosophy
|Doctor of Philosophy (Clinical/Organisational/Forensic Psychology)
|Professional Doctorate (Doctor of Education/ Doctor of Visual Arts/ Doctor of Musical Arts)
||after 24 months*
||after 48 months*
*according to the requirements of the program
Requirements for completion of the mid candidature milestone
The mid candidature milestone may include a written and/or oral component. The format for this milestone will be prescribed and administered by each Group and may include a requirement to
- submit a paper or other output that demonstrates how you have met, or how you intend to meet, your candidature requirement of having at least one peer reviewed output accepted for publication during candidature.
- submit a completion plan.
- make an oral presentation to a panel, or at a conference
- any other requirement as determined by your Group.
Candidates are advised to consult their principal supervisor on the requirements for completion of the mid candidature milestone relevant to their specific faculty and element of study.
- Arts, Education and Law (AEL Community)
- Griffith Business School (GBS HDR Students and Supervisors)
- Griffith Health
- Griffith Sciences
Upon completion of the mid candidature milestone, candidates are required to lodge the milestone documentation via the mid candidature service request at myGriffith, My Research, My Candidate Centre.
Outcome of the mid candidature milestone
The Head of Element or delegate (HDR Convenor), in consultation with your principal supervisor/s, will make a recommendation to the Dean (Research). The milestone will be assessed as attained. If a candidate has not yet attained this milestone a timeline and strategy is to be developed, documented and put in place for the candidate, with progress to be reassessed at a date determined by the Dean (Research).