RN, DipAppSci, BN, MHSc, PhD
Director, Centre for Health Practice Innovation
Contact details for Prof Wendy Moyle
Professor Wendy Moyle is the Director of the Centre for Health Practice Innovation (HPI), a research program in the Griffith Health Institute at Griffith University where she leads an evidence-based practice for older people research agenda. Wendy is also a partner and research leader in the Dementia Collaborative Research Centre – Carers and Consumers and a management committee member of the QLD Dementia Training and Study Centre. The focus of her work has been on quality of life and finding evidence for managing agitated behaviours in people living with dementia using controlled trials and psychosocial and complimentary and alternative medicine interventions. She has published 8 book chapters and over 100 peer review publications. Her work is international and often involves teams from both Australia and abroad. She is a sought after speaker and to date has given over 60 invited keynote and plenary presentations, with the majority of these being at International Conferences.
Wendy maintains an active role in the community working closely with a number of aged care organisations as well as the International Psychogeriatric Association where she is the co-editor of the Research Section of the IPA Bulletin, a member of the mental health in long-term care taskforce, and the co-chair of the Nurses Special Interest Group. Wendy is the first nurse to be elected to the IPA Board of Directors (2011-2015). She also takes an active role in publishing and is the Australasian Editor for the International Journal of Older People Nursing, and on the Editorial Board of Nursing Research and Reviews. She also holds two Visiting Professor positions at City University, UK and Northumbria University, UK.
Current Teaching Areas
- Higher Degree Supervision
- Quality of life
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Dementia care and behaviour management
- Models of care
- Family involvement in care of people with dementia
Publications (2009 – 2011 only)
- Venturato, L., Moyle, W., & Steel, A. (in press). Exploring the gap between rhetoric and reality in dementia care in Australia: Could practice documents help bridge the great divide?” Dementia: The International Journal of Social Research and Practice (accepted 13th July 2011).
- Stockwell-Smith G, Jones C, & Moyle W. (2011). “You’ve got to keep account of heads all the time”: Staff perceptions of caring for people within a dementia specific unit. Journal of Research in Nursing, 16 (5), 400-412.
- Bramble, M, Moyle, W, & Shum, D. (2011). A quasi-experimental design trial exploring the effect of a partnership intervention on family and staff well-being in long-term dementia care. Aging and Mental Health, I First, 21st June
- Barrett R, Shaban R, Moyle W. (in press) Patient experience of source isolation: Lessons for clinical practice. Contemporary Nursing (accepted 3rd May 2011)
- Moyle, W. Gracia N, Murfield, J., Griffiths S. & Venturato, L. (2011). Assessing quality of life of older people with dementia in long-term care: A comparison of two self-report measures. Journal of Clinical Nursing, Online 18 May 2011.
- Moyle, W. Venturato L. Griffiths S, Grimbeek P, McAllister M. & Oxlade D. (2011, iView). Factors influencing Quality of Life for People with Dementia: A Qualitative Perspective, Aging and Mental Health, iFirst 21st June.
- Moyle, W. Johnston A. & O’Dwyer S. (2011). Exploring the effect of foot massage on agitated behaviours in older people with dementia: A pilot study. Australian Journal on Ageing. Online 26th April 2011.
- Kung, Y. Moyle W. & Venturato.L. (2011). Nurses’ attitudes towards older patients in acute care settings in Korea. International Journal of Older People Nursing, 6 (2), 143-152.
- Murfield, J., Cooke, M., Moyle, W., Shum, D., & Harrison, S. (2011). Conducting randomised Control Trials with older people with dementia in long-term care: Challenges and lessons learn. International Journal of Nursing Practice, 17, 52-59.
- Sun GC, Hsu MC, Moyle W, Lim MF, Creedy D & Venturato L. (2011). Mediating roles of adherence attitude and patient education on antidepressant use in patients with depression. Perspectives in Psychiatric Care, 47, 13-22.
- Moyle, W. Kellett, U. Ballantyne A. & Gracia N. (2011). Dementia and Loneliness: An Australian Perspective, Journal of Clinical Nursing, 20, 9-10, 1445-1453.
- Moyle W. Hsu M, Lieff S.& Vernooij-Dassen, M. (2010). Recommendations for staff education and training for older people with mental illness in long-term aged care. International Psychogeriatrics, 22 (7), 1197-1106.
- Vernooiji-Dassen, M. Vasse E, Zuidema S, Cohen-Mansfield J. & Moyle W.(2010). Psychosocial interventions for dementia patients in long-term care, International Psychogeriatrics, 22 (7), 1121-1128 (IF: 2.506) (Top 10 downloaded paper for 2010)
- Cook, G. Klein B. Cader R. Moyle W. Marais, Clarke C. Reed J. (2010) Potential technological solutions to promote mental well-being in older age. Generations Review, 20 (3), 1-5.
- Barratt, R. Shaban R. & Moyle W. (2010). Behind barriers: Patients’ perceptions of source isolation for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), Australian Journal of Advanced Nursing, 28 (2), 53-59.
- Moyle, W. Murfield, J. Griffiths S. & Venturato L. (2010). Care staff attitudes and experiences of working with older people with dementia. Australasian Journal on Ageing. Online 8 Oct.
- Gracia N. Moyle W. Oxlade D. Tansley K. (2010). Addressing loneliness in a retirement village community: a pilot test of a print-delivered intervention. Australasian Journal on Ageing.29 (4), 179-182.
- Wei Z. Cooke M. Moyle W. & Creedy D. (2010). Health education needs of family caregivers supporting an adolescent relative with schizophrenia or a mood disorder in Taiwan. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 24 (6), 418-428.
- Harrison, S., Cooke, M., Moyle, W., Shum, D & Murfield, J. (2010). Delivering a music intervention in a RCT involving older people with dementia: Musician experiences and reflections. Music & Medicine. 2 (4), 214-218.
- Moyle, W. (2010). Is quality of life being compromised in people with dementia in long-term care? International Journal of Older People Nursing, 5 (3), 245-252.
- Moyle W. & Bowers B. (2010). Quality of life: Dementia and Dignity, Editorial, International Journal of Older People Nursing, 5 (3), 227.
- Moyle, W. Borbasi S. Wallis M. Olorenshaw R. & Gracia N. (2010). Acute care management of older people with dementia: a qualitative perspective. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 20, 420-428.
- Harrison S. Cooke M. Moyle W. Shum D & Murfield J. (2010) Development of a music intervention protocol and its effect on participant engagement: Experiences from a randomized controlled trial with older people with dementia. Arts and Health, 2(2), 125-139.
- Cooke M. Moyle W. Shum D. Harrison S. Murfield J. (2010) A randomised control trial exploring the effect of music on agitated behaviours and anxiety in older people with dementia. Aging and Mental Health, 14 (8), 905-916
- Stanley, M. Moyle W. Ballantyne A. Jaworski K. Corlis M. Oxlade D. Stoll A. & Young B. (2010). “Nowadays you don’t even see your neighbours”: addressing loneliness in the everyday live’s of older Australians. Health and Social Care in the Community, 18 (4), 407-414.
- Moyle, W. Clarke C. Gracia N. Reed J. Cook G. Klein B. Marais S. & Richardson E. (2010). Older people maintaining mental health wellbeing through resilience: an appreciative inquiry study in four countries. Journal of Nursing and Healthcare of Chronic Illness, 2, 113-121.
- Stockwell-Smith G. Kellett U. & Moyle W. (2010). Why carers of frail older people are not using available respite services: An Australian study. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 19, 2057-2064.
- Cooke, M., Moyle, W., Shum, D., Harrison, S. & Murfield J. (2010) A randomised control trial exploring the effect of music on quality of life and depression in older people with dementia: A randomized control trial. Journal of Health Psychology, 15 (5), 765-776.
- Cooke, M., Mitchell, M., Moyle, W., Henderson, A. & Murfield, J. (2010) Application and student evaluation of a clinical progression portfolio: A pilot. Nurse Education in Practice, 10, 227-232.
- Kellett, U., Moyle, W., McAllister, M. King, C. (2010). Life stories and biography: A means of connecting family and staff to people with dementia. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 19, 1707-1715.
- Moyle W. Park YS, Olorenshaw R, Grimbeek P. Griffiths S. & Murfield J. (2010) The influence of personal characteristics on student nurse health attitudes. Australian Journal of Advanced Nursing, 27 (3), 55-61.
- Hsu, M. Moyle, W. Creedy, D., Venturato, (2010) Attitudes towards and education about CAM among adult patients with depression in Taiwan. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 19, 988-997.
- Cooke, M. Moyle, W. Griffiths S. & Shields L. (2009/2010). Outcomes of a home-based pulmonary maintenance program for individuals with COPD: A pilot study. Contemporary Nurse, 34 (1), 85-97.
- Moyle, W. Kellett, U. Cheek J. Ballantyne A, Olorenshaw R. (2009). Loneliness: An under explored concept in people with dementia Alzheimer's and Dementia, Volume 5, Issue 5, Pages e6-e6.
- Bramble M. Moyle W. Shum D. (2009). Challenges to implementing an evidence-based partnership in residential care settings. Alzheimer's and Dementia, Volume 5, Issue 5, Pages e10-e10
- Cooke, M., Moyle, W., Shum, D., Harrison, S., & Murfield J. (2009). The effect of music on quality of life and depression in older people with dementia: A randomized control trial. Alzheimer’s & Dementia, 5(5), e11.
- Wu, A. Gamble, J. & Moyle W. (2009). Self-care strategies used by Taiwanese adolescents for dysmenorrhea. Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology, Volume 22, Issue 2, Pages e44-e45.
- Liu, K. Moyle, W. & Kellett, U. (2009). The needs of Chinese-Australian Family Carers who care for older relatives with diabetes. Geriaction, 27 (1), 5-16.
- Milne, L., Moyle, W. & Cooke, M. (2009) Hope a construct central to living with COPD. International Journal of Older People Nursing, 4,299-306.
- Bramble, M. Moyle, W. McAllister, M. (2009). Seeking connection: family care experiences following long term dementia care placement. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 18, 3118-3125.
- Daskein, R., Moyle, W., Creedy, D. (2009) Aged Care Nurses’ Knowledge of Nursing Documentation: An Australian Perspective. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 18 (14), 2087-2095.
- McAllister, M. Moyle, W. Billett, S. & Zimmer-Gembeck, M. (2009) I can actually talk to them now: Qualitative results of an educational intervention for emergency nurses caring for clients who self-harm. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 18 (20), 2838- 2845.
- McAllister, M. Billett, S., Moyle, W. & Zimmer-Gembeck, M. (2009). Use of a think-aloud procedure to explore the relationship between clinical reasoning and solution-focused training in self-harm for emergency nurses. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 16, 121-128.
- Hsu, M., Moyle, W. Creedy, D. Venturato, L. Ouyang, WC & Tsay, SL. (2009) Use of antidepressants and complementary and alternative medicine among outpatients with depression in Taiwan. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 23 (1), 75-85.