Having a baby? Consider support from a student midwife.
Have you considered support from a midwifery student?
Midwifery students are studying to gain the knowledge and skills to register as a Midwife in Australia. They work under the direct supervision of a Registered Midwife. As part of their studies, they need to gain an understanding of pregnancy and becoming a new mother from a woman’s perspective. This is best achieved by sharing some of the experiences a woman has during her pregnancy through to the early weeks after she has given birth.
Who is a midwife?
A Midwife is someone who is qualified to provide care to a woman during her pregnancy, childbirth and following the birth of her baby. Midwifery promotes normal pregnancy and childbirth and midwives work alongside other health professionals if complications arise. Midwives can work in the community, in hospitals, or in your home.
What will the midwifery student do?With your consent a midwifery student will:
- attend some of your antenatal appointments
- talk with you about your ongoing thoughts and feelings about your preganancy
- be with you at the birth of your baby
- visit you after the birth of your baby.
What are the benefits?
- You will get to know the student midwife and they will also get to know you during your pregnancy
- The student midwife will be able to offer you support
- It will be an invaluable experience for the student midwife to hear about your thoughts and feelings over this time
- The student midwife will be able to learn about the experiences of women during the first few weeks with a new baby
- This experience will also help the midwifery students to understand more about midwifery and how they can work with women
- Women who have had this experience advise they have enjoyed having a student travel their birth journey with them
What if I change my mind?
Having a baby is a very personal experience, so you can change your mind at any time. If you do change your mind, contact the person listed on your consent form to advise them.
What if I am interested in having a student midwife?
If you would like to share your childbirth experience with a student midwife, please talk with your midwife or student midwife in your antenatal visit or please register your interest.
We are constantly improving our service and courses and may contact you for feedback about your experience with a griffith midwifery student.
If you have any questions and/or require clarification about the experience of having a student midwife please discuss them with the student. Additionally, you can telephone the Director of the Bachelor of Midwifery Program on:
- (07) 338 21535
Thank you for considering a midwifery student. We wish you well on your journey to motherhood.