MBBS FRACP FCSANZ
Associate Professor, School of Medicine
Senior Staff Cardiologist and Clinical Director - Coronary Care Unit, Gold Coast University Hospital
Dr Atifur Rahman started his training in medicine in 2000 in the Gold Coast Hospital as a Medical registrar and passed the FRACP in 2002 from Royal Brisbane Hospital. He has completed advanced training in cardiology from The Canberra Hospital and joined the Gold Coast Hospital as a full time staff specialist in January 2006.
Currently Dr Rahman is a full time senior staff cardiologist, clinical Director of Coronary Care Unit, with main interest in interventional cardiology, and is also the Director of Advance Training, and Regional Examiner, for Royal Australasian College of Physicians. Dr Rahman is also an examiner at Australian Medical Council and speaker at national and international level.
- Cardiovascular disease
Rahman A, Broadley S (2013) "Troponin and acute stroke". In Advances in Troponin Research. Nova Publishing, Huappuage, NY.
Refereed journal articles
- Habibian M, Rahman A (2016) Diagnosis of acute myocardial infarction and patient risk stratification. Cardiology Today. 6(2):17-23
- Dashwood A, Rahman A, Al Marashi H, Jennings C, Raniga M, Dhillon P (2016) Pacemaker-induced takotsubo cardiomyopathy. Heart Rhythm Case Reports. 2:272–276.
- Rahman A, Lwin M (2016) Case 5 .June has an irregular pulse. Page 26.Check. April: Unit 526.
- Dashwood A, Rahman A, Pavicic M (2015) Carcinoid heart disease. European Heart Journal. doi:10.1093/eurheartj/ehv070
- Latona J, Rahman A (2015) Management of oral anticoagulation in the surgical patient. ANZ Journal of Surgery. 85(9):620–625.
- Rahman A (2015) Randomized Trial of Primary PCI with or without Routine Manual Thrombectomy. New England Journal of Medicine. 372:1389-1398.
- Rahman A (2014) New oral anticoagulants and perioperative management of anticoagulant / antiplatelet agents. Australian Family Physician. 43(12):861-866.
- Markham R, Rahman A, Tai S, Hamilton-Craig I, Hamilton-Craig C (2014) Myocardial infarction from isolated coronary artery vasculitis in a young patient: A rare case. International Journal of Cardiology. 180:40-41.
- Rahman A, Broadley S (2014) Elevated troponin: Diagnostic gold or fool's gold? Emergency Medicine Australasia. 26:125-130.
- Rahman A, Liu D (2012) "Broken heart syndrome". Australian Family Physician. 41(1/2).
- Rahman A, Batra R, Basavaraj A (2011) Case Report of Two Patients Presented with Acute Coronary Syndrome, Cardiogenic Shock Secondary to Left Main Stenosis Managed by Urgent Bailout Angioplasty. Bangladesh Journal of Cardiology. 3(2).
- Rahman A, Liu D (2011) Pericarditis - clinical features and management. Australian Family Physician. 40(10):791-796.
- McKenzie SC, Rahman A (2010) Bradycardia in a patient taking black cohosh. Medical Journal of Australia. 193(8):479-481.
- Rahman S MacKenzie (2009) Cimicifuga Racemosa and a not so racing heart: A case report of Black cohosh mediated complete heart block-A. Bangladesh Journal of Cardiology. August.
- Hickman PE, McGill DA, Talaulikar G, Hiremagalur B, Bromley J, Rahman A, Koerbin G, Southcott E, Potter JM (2009) Prognostic efficacy of cardiac biomarkers for mortality in dialysis patients. Internal Medicine Journal. 39(12):812-818.
- Rahman A, Jayasinghe R, Rajendran S (2008) Paradoxical embolism via a patent foramen ovale: an important mechanism of cryptogenic strokes. Circulation, Cardiovascular Imaging. 1(2):e9-e10.
Other published articles
- Markham R, Rahman, A (2015) Multimodality imaging of cor triatriatum sinistrum diagnosed in an adult female: Letter to the editor. International Journal of Cardiology. 185:90-92.
- Rahman A (2014) New oral anticoagulants and perioperative management of anticoagulant / antiplatelet agents: Letter to the editor. Australian Family Physician. 44(3):87.
- Rahman A, Liu D (2012) Broken heart syndrome - a case study. Australian Family Physician. 41(1-2):55-58.
- Rahman A, Batra R, Basavaraj A (2011) Case Report of Two Patients Presented with Acute Coronary Syndrome, Cardiogenic Shock Secondary to Left Main Stenosis Managed by Urgent Bailout Angioplasty. Bangladesh Journal of Cardiology. 3(2):441-443.
Current teaching areas
- Supervisor for 3rd and 4th year School of Medicine students during selective/elective placement in Cardiology