Books and Volumes
- SKERRETT DM, BARKER E, DE LEO D: Suicide Research: Selected Readings, Volume 8 . Australian Academic Press, Brisbane, 2012.
- KOLVES KE, SKERRETT DM, KOLVES K, DE LEO D: Suicide Research: Selected Readings, Volume 7 . Australian Academic Press, Brisbane, 2012.
- KOLVES K, MILNER A, MCKAY K, DE LEO D: Suicide in Rural and Remote areas of Australia. Longueville Media, Brisbane, 2012.
- DE LEO D, SVETICIC J: Suicide in Queensland 2005–2007: Mortality rates and related data. Australian Academic Press, Brisbane, 2012.
- DE LEO D: Un’Altra Vita (Another Life). Alpes, Rome, 2012.
Publications in International Journals
- BERTOLOTE JM, DE LEO D: Global suicide mortality rates: A light at the end of the tunnel? Crisis; 33: 249-53, 2012.
- BURSZTEIN-LIPSICAS C, MAKINEN IH, APTER A, DE LEO D, KERKHOF A, LONNQVIST J, MICHEL K, SALANDER-RENBERG E, SAYIL I, SCMIDTKE A, VAN HEERINGEN C, VARNIK A, WASSERMAN D. Attempted suicide among immigrants in European countries: an international perspective. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 47, 241-251, 2012.
- DE GIOANNIS A, DE LEO D: Managing suicidal patients in clinical practice. Open Journal of Psychiatry, 2, 49-60, 2012.
- DE LEO D, MILNER A, SVETICIC J: Mental disorders and communication of intent to die in indigenous suicide cases, Queensland, Australia. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior, 2012 Apr; 42(2): 136-46. doi: 10.1111/j.1943-278X.2011.00077.x.
- DE LEO D, HAWGOOD J, IDE N: Do we need education on right-to-die issues? Medical perspectives from Australia. Asia-Pacific Psychiatry, 4, 10-19, 2012.
- DE LEO D, KOLVES K: Suicidality in old age not always mediated by depression. (Invited Commentary). Annals of Family Medicine, published online: 17 July 2012.
- DE LEO D, TOO LS, KOLVES, K, MILNER A, IDE N: Has the suicide rate risen with the 2011 Queensland floods? Journal of Loss and Trauma, 2012, doi 10.1080/15325024.2012.684581.
- FASSBERG MM, VAN ORDEN KA, DUBERSTEIN P, ERLANGSEN A, LAPIERRE S, BODNER E, CANETTO SS, DE LEO D, SZANTO K, WAERN M: A systematic review of social factors and suicidal behavior in older adulthood. International Journal of Environmental Research in Public Health 2012, 9(3), 722-745; doi:10.3390/ijerph9030722.
- IDE N, KOLVES K, CASSANITI M, DE LEO D: Suicide in first generation immigrants to Australia, 1990-2006. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 2012, doi: 10.1007/s00127-012-0499-4.
- JALENQUES I, AUCLAIR C, ROBLIN J, MORAND D, TOURTAUCHAUX R, MAY R, VAILLE-PERRET E, WATTS J, GERBAUD L, DE LEO D: Cross-cultural Validation of the French version of the LEIPAD, a Health-Related Quality of Life instrument for use in the Elderly living at home", Quality of Life Research, 2012 Apr 3. [Epub ahead of print]
- KOLVES K, IDE N, DE LEO D: Fluctuations of suicidality in the aftermath of marital separation: 6-month follow-up observations. Journal of Affective Disorders 142(1-3):256-63, 2012.
- KOLVES K, KOLVES KE, DE LEO D: Natural disasters and suicidal behaviours: A systematic literature review. Journal of Affective Disorders, 2012, doi.org.10.1016.
- LAW CK, LEUNG CMC. Temporal patterns of charcoal burning suicides among the working age population in Hong Kong SAR: the influence of economic activity status and sex. BMC Public Health 2012, 12:505 doi:10.1186/1471-2458-12-505.
- McPHEDRAN S, BAKER J. Suicide prevention and method restriction: evaluating impacts of limiting access to lethal means among young Australians. Archives of Suicide Research 16: 135-146, 2012.
- MILNER A, SVETICIC J, DE LEO D: Suicide in the absence of mental disorder? A review Psychological Autopsy studies across countries. International Journal of Social Psychiatry, 2012; ePub(ePub): ePub.
- MILNER A, DE LEO D: Suicide by motor vehicle ‘accident’ in Queensland. Traffic Injury Prevention, 13, 342-347, 2012.
- MILNER A, MCCLURE R, DE LEO D: Globalization and suicide: an ecological study across five regions of the world. Archives of Suicide Research, 16, 238-249, 2012.
- MILNER A, MC CLURE R, DE LEO D. Socio-economic determinants of suicide: an ecological analysis of 35 countries. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 47, 19-27, 2012.
- POMPILI M, VICHI M, DE LEO D, PFEFFER C, GIRARDI P. A longitudinal epidemiological comparison of suicide and other causes of death in Italian children and adolescents. European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 2012 Jan 29. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 22286089.
- POMPILI M, VICHI M, QIN P, INNAMORATI M, DE LEO D, GIRARDI P: Does the level of education influence completed suicide? A nationwide register study. Journal of Affective Disorders, published online: 26 September 2012. pii: S0165-0327(12)00617-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jad.2012.08.046.
- POMPILI M, DE LEO D, GIRARDI P: Suizidprävention in Italien. Suizidprohylaxe 39:100-107, 2012.
- SVETICIC J, TOO LS, DE LEO D: Suicides by persons reported as missing prior to death: A retrospective cohort study. British Medical Journal Open, 2012. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2011-000607.
- SVETICIC J, DE LEO D: The hypothesis of a continuum in suicidality: a discussion on its validity and practical implications. Mental Illness, 4, 73-78, 2012.
- TIGHE J, MCKAY K: Alive and Kicking Goals!: Preliminary findings from a Kimberley suicide prevention program. Advances in Mental Health 10(3):240-245, 2012
- DE GIOANNIS A, KERR K, BAUER A: Managing Suicidal Thoughts and Urges in Barletta J and Bond J (eds) ‘The Home Therapist: A practical, self-help guide for everyday psychological problems’. Australian Academic Press, Brisbane, 2012.
- DE GIOANNIS A, KERR K, BAUER A: Deliberate Self-Harm in Barletta J and Bond J (eds) ‘The Home Therapist: A practical, self-help guide for everyday psychological problems’. Australian Academic Press, Brisbane, 2012.
- HAWGOOD J: Suicide Bereavement, in Barletta J and Bond J (eds) ‘The Home Therapist: A practical, self-help guide for everyday psychological problems’. Australian Academic Press, Brisbane, 2012.
Conference Presentations and Posters
3rd TRIPLE i: intuition, imagination and innovation in Suicidology, Koper, Slovenia. 11 May 2012
- De Leo D. Suicide in the Elderly.
3rd Australian Postvention Conference, “Hope Meaning and Direction”, Sydney, Australia. 28-30 June, 2012.
- De Leo D, Cimitan A, Ratkowska K, Basso S, Guzzo G, Tomos A, Tasca A. Helping the bereaved from traumatic deaths: the De Leo Fund Network in northern Italy.
Suicide and Self-harm Prevention Conference, Cairns, Australia. 13-15 July, 2012
- De Leo D. Opening Keynote: The evidence behind suicide risk factors.
- Kolves K, Kolves KE, De Leo D. Natural disasters and suicidal behaviours: a systematic literature review.
- Kolves K, De Leo D. Suicide in the health professions: an analysis of the Queensland Suicide Register (QSR).
- Kolves K. Chair of the session. Identifying and addressing risk factors for suicide.
- Kõlves K, Soole R, De Leo D. Child suicides: Evidence from Queensland Suicide Register and Potential for Prevention.
15th NSW Rural Mental Health Conference. Bathurst, New South Wales, Australia.
29 - 31 August 2012
- McPhedran S, De Leo D. Miseries suffered, unvoiced, unknown? Communication of suicidal intent by men in rural Australia.
14th European Symposium on Suicide and Suicidal Behaviour, Tel Aviv, Israel.
3-6 September, 2012
- Shaffer D, De Leo D. Is NSSI a separate diagnosis? (Debate).
- Kolves K, Kolves KE, De Leo D. Chair of the session. Epidemiology.
- Kolves K, Kolves KE, De Leo D. Natural disasters and suicidal behaviours: A systematic literature review.
- Kolves K, De Leo D. Suicide in medical doctors and nurses: an analysis of the Queensland Suicide Register (QSR); (poster).
7th National Homelessness Conference, Melbourne, Australia.
5-7 September, 2012.
- Sveticic J, Arnautovska U, De Leo D. Characteristics of Homeless Persons Who Died by Suicide between 1990 and 2008.
Official regional launch of World Suicide Prevention Day, Brisbane Australia. Strengthening Protective Factors and Instilling Hope, 10th Anniversary Forum 10 September, 2012.
- Barker E, Kolves K, De Leo D. Potential for suicide prevention in prisons.
- Kolves K & De Leo D. Suicide in rural and remote areas of Queensland: A psychological autopsy study.
- Kumpula E, Sveticic J, Hawgood J, De Leo D. Suicide trends in Qld based on the Queensland Suicide Register.
- McPhedran S, De Leo D. Suicide and suicide prevention in farmers.
- Skerrett D, Kolves K & De Leo D. Predictors of suicide in GLBTI communities based on Australian literature.
- Sveticic J. How can we prevent suicide if we cannot measure it? Issues surrounding quality of suicide data in Australia.
National Suicide Prevention Conference, Innovation in Suicide Prevention: Bringing It Together, Sydney, Australia. 20-12 October, 2012.
- Law CK, De Leo D. Assessing the influence of economic activity status and depression on the temporal variation of suicide in Queensland of Australia, 1996 – 2007.
Australasian Mortality Data Interest Group Workshop UNLOCKING THE VALUE OF MORTALITY DATA, Sydney, Australia. 12-13 November, 2012.
- Law CK, Kolves K, De Leo D. Suicide mortality in second-generation migrants, Australia, 2001-2008.
- Sveticic J, De Leo D. Review of national statistics of suicide mortality following the revisions by Australian Bureau of Statistics.
4th Australian Rural and Remote Mental Health Symposium, Adelaide, Australia.
19-21 November, 2012.
- Kolves K, De Leo D. Predictors of suicide in rural and remote areas: A psychological autopsy study in Queensland.
- Kavalidou K, McPhedran S, De Leo D. Contact with health services prior to death by suicide among Queensland rural men: Are farmers and agriculture workers less likely to access help?
5th Asia Pacific Regional Conference of the International Association for Suicide Prevention, Chennai, India.
28 November – 2 December, 2012.
- (Plenary). De Leo D. Rate demographics and changes in suicide in Asia Pacific Region.
- Kõlves K, De Leo D. Child and adolescent suicides in the world: A comparison of suicide rates of 10-14 year and 15-19 year old suicides in different countries.
- Law CK, Kõlves K, De Leo D. Suicide mortality in second-generation migrants, Australia, 2001-2008.
- Milner A, De Leo D, Gladman B, Kõlves K. Treatment priority given to Emergency Department presentations for suicide ideation, communication and behaviour: Insights from a major Australian Hospital.
- De Leo D, Kõlves K, Milner A. The increased number of ‘self-cutters’ (X78): A psychiatric or a psycho-social phenomenon? Data from the Gold Coast Hospital, Australia.
- De Leo D, et al. The WHO START study: Suicidal behaviours across different areas of the world.
- McPhedran S & De Leo D: Suicide in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Populations of Queensland: How can we make the best use of evidence?
Reports to Governments
- SVETICIC J, DE LEO D: Suicide in Queensland, 2005-2007. Mortality Rates and Related Data, Report to Queensland Health. Australian Institute for Suicide Research and Prevention, Brisbane (2012).