Offering Year 11-12 students the opportunity to experience a university engineering course whilst completing their senior studies. Griffith Eng is a GUESTS At-School course.
Griffith Eng is designed as a two-stage program. Stage one, A Taste of Engineering, consists of two Experience Days offered to Year 11 students, with hands-on activities covering the practical components of various engineering disciplines.
This year the engineering hands-on activities, called "Engineering in a Box", are offered in an online format. Everything students need for these activities will be sent directly to them to complete at home.
Students who successfully complete the Taste of Engineering will be invited to enrol in Griffith Eng in Year 12 to continue with stage two of the program in Trimester 1, 2021. Stage two will involve attending weekly classes and completing the end of program assessment.
The program is offered on both the Gold Coast and Nathan campuses. There are no fees to participate in the program.
To be eligible to commence in Year 11 (Stage 1 – A Taste of Engineering), students must:
- have a genuine interest in Engineering;
- be ATAR or Diploma of the International Baccalaureate eligible;
- achieve a minimum grade of C (or Satisfactory Achievement) across all subjects, including a General English* subject and Mathematical Methods, plus one of Chemistry, Engineering, Specialist Mathematics, or Physics, or equivalent grades in interstate ATAR or IB Diploma subjects; and
- have not failed or received an unsatisfactory in any subjects.
Note: *QCAA General subjects that meet the English prerequisite include: English, Literature, English as an Additional Language, English and Literature Extension. For interstate ATAR or IB Diploma equivalent subjects visit griffith.edu.au/prerequisites-assumed-knowledge
For admission into Year 12 (Stage 2), students must meet all eligibility criteria above, plus:
- Successfully pass Stage 1 - A Taste of Engineering
Interested students can apply by completing the online Application by the due date. Please obtain approval from your School (School Principal or nominee) and provide the most recent School report.
Access online application at griffith.edu.au/guests-at-school
Select Program: GUESTS At School (9933), Part-time, Trimester 2, 2020, relevant campus (Gold Coast or Nathan) Add Course: Griffith Eng for Year 11 (9000ENG). Select relevant campus (Gold Coast or Nathan)
Applications close: Friday 21 August 2020
For more information: School of Engineering and Built Environment by email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (07) 5552 7199
Year 11 (Stage 1)
Stage 1, A Taste of Engineering, is offered to selected Year 11 students in Trimester 2. Students will complete two experience days between September and November 2020.
This year the engineering hands-on activities, called "Engineering in a Box", are offered in an online format. The kits with everything students need for these activities will be sent directly to them to complete at home.
Year 12 (Stage 2)
Stage 2 is offered in Trimester 1 of Year 12 (February to May). Students will:
- Attend weekly classes, either on the Gold Coast or Nathan campus (usually scheduled once a week from 3pm).
- Complete the end of course assessment at the end of Trimester 1
Year 11 (Stage 1)
In Stage 1, students learn about what engineers do, the scope of the professions and ethical issues. In this stage there is a strong emphasis on teamwork with students working in small teams on the practical component of the program.
Year 12 (Stage 2)
- Introduction to the Project and Team Formation
- Responding to the Design Brief and Research
- Developing a Design for the User
- Development of Sketches
- Comparative Evaluation and Selection of Concept
- Model Building to Develop the Design Concept
- Concept Communication
- Skills Development for a Video Interview
Griffith Eng is a great program that allows you to see what an engineering degree will be like. It is run by your future lecturers with the help of students that have done the program before. During the program you looking into all of the different types of engineering and will be able to choose what major suits you the best.
Zachery Quince, Bachelor of Engineering (Electronic and Biomedical Engineering) Graduate