Established in 2008, Compounds Australia remains Australia’s only integrated compound management facility
This highly specialised facility enables health and medical researchers worldwide to outsource compound and natural product management and logistics. This drives drug discovery and translational research efforts, through:
- sample lodgement and storage
- specialised formatting into assay-ready microplates
- access to unique robotic and liquid handling platforms
- a sample quality control program
- large-scale data handling
- programming and customisation of proprietary software
- data tracking at all points of processing.
Strategic Advisory Board
The Compounds Australia Strategic Advisory Board (SAB) aims to meet 2 times a year and will provide a mechanism to capture and deliver strategic advice to the Director of the Griffith Institute for Drug Discovery (GRIDD) on the advancement of Compounds Australia’s vision, mission and objectives.
In 2012, we underwent a massive transformation and expansion of our existing, overworked platform, thanks to TIA-EIF funding. A year later, we purchased an open access compound library with remaining funds. In 2014, with our growing national and international customer base, we changed our name from QLD Compound Library (QCL) to Compounds Australia.
In 2017, Compounds Australia introduced its 4th robotic platform to the facility; a Labcyte Access platform. The additional platform complements and provides redundancy for assay-ready plate production utilising the Labcyte ECHO acoustic dispenser.
Our equipment includes:
- five TTP Labtech comPOUND® stores with total capacity to hold 600,000 microtubes
- two Hamilton ASM Platestores with total capacity to hold 4,200 microplates
- multiple liquid handling platforms able to provide nanolitre (Labcyte Echo® 550) and microlitre (Agilent VPrep/Bravo) quantities of samples in multiple assay-ready formats
- four dedicated robotic platforms with integration to centrifuge, sealer, de-sealer and barcode tracking.
- Microtube solubilisation and transfer into microplates
- Microplate replication in 96, 384 and 1536 plate formats.
- Plate to plate cherry-picking in single and multi-volume formats.
- Generate dose response curves via source and intermediate concentrations and designing custom plate layouts specific to customer needs.
- Access to specialised software that allows combination screening formats to compare a drug or other compound rapidly at a specific dose to look for synergistic or antagonistic effects.
- Data tracking at all points of processing.