Fit for Placement Checklist
The following mandatory requirements must be submitted prior to commencing placement.
Vaccination & Health Tests
- Accessing your vaccination records and schedule
- International students vaccination records information
- Translating Documents - Any document in a language other than English must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
Hepatitis B Vaccines
Evidence of completed age appropriate course of Hepatitis B vaccines (accelerated course not accepted)
As the Hepatitis B vaccine schedule can take up to 7 months to complete, as long as you have completed the first 2 doses of your schedule you will be partial compliant for placement. Your Hepatitis B vaccine schedule must, however, be completed by the end of your first year.
Hepatitis B Serology
- Copy of positive serology (HBsAb levels equal to or greater than 10mlU/ml)
Diphtheria, Tetanus and Pertussis (Whooping Cough)
- Evidence of vaccine (Adacel or Boostrix only) – within the past 10 years
- Serology not accepted.
Measles, Mumps and Rubella
- Copy of positive serology for measles, mumps and rubella (low positive, equivocal or negative serology not accepted) OR
- Evidence of 2 doses of vaccine
- Not required if born before 1966.
Best time to have your vaccine is from mid April each year. Peak Flu season is from mid August.
This vaccine is required annually.
- Evidence of date vaccine given
Please complete the Queensland Health TB Self Assessment Form to identify if you are an at risk student. This form only needs to be completed by yourself as this is a self assessment.
If you are identified as an at risk student you must have a Mantoux Skin Test at a TB Control Centre or an Interferon Gamma Release Immunoassay (IGRA)/QuantiFERON®-TB Gold blood test at a Private Pathologist. The Mantoux Skin Test at the TB Control Centre is free and the blood test with a Private Pathologist will cost up to $60.
Contact Metro South Clinical TB Service at Princess Alexandra Hospital on email email@example.com. Please ensure the following information is in your email: Name, date of birth, degree your studying and that you will be attending placement during your degree.
Appointments for a Mantoux Test with the TB Control Centre may take a few months to be scheduled, this does not affect you commencing placement while you await your appointment.
Licenses & Certificates
Australian National Police Check Certificate
National Police Check certificates are valid for 5 years from 8th July 2019. Applications can take up to 4 weeks to process.
Only certificates from the Australian Federal Police will be accepted.
NB: Police Checks from an Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC) accredited organisation are not accepted.
All Australian National Police Checks must be applied for through the Australian Federal Police (AFP).
International Criminal History Check
Only applies to students who have lived in a country other than Australia after the age of 16. They must also submit:
- A National Police Check certificate from that country
- A Statutory Declaration stating that you have never, in Australia or another country, been convicted of murder or sexual assault, or convicted of, and sentenced to imprisonment for, any other form of assault.
If you have a criminal history
Where you declare that you have a criminal history further investigations are made and assessed according to the National Board's Criminal History Registration Standards or Membership Board Standards.
Queensland Blue Card
Queensland Blue Cards are valid for 3 years. Application processing time can take up to 8 weeks.
If you have been convicted of a child related offence you must not complete, sign and submit a Blue Card Application. As of 1st July 2019 new laws have expanded the number of offences that disqualify a person from applying for a Blue Card - Who is disqualified from applying for a Blue Card. Please contact the Fit for Placement Office to discuss.
The Government have approved several changes to the Blue Card System. As of the beginning of 2020, the 'No Card, No Start' law will be introduced. This means unless you hold a working with children's clearance you will be prevented from commencing your placement.
Present the following documents, for the organisation section to be completed on page 3, to the Fit for Placement Office at the Gold Coast campus, Nathan Campus (Tuesday & Thursday), Logan Campus (Wednesday) or to the Student Centre on all other campuses.
- Completed and printed online Blue Card application form
- Original identification documents
Top 5 Tips to Avoid Application Delays
1. Check you can read the handwriting on the form. If you can't read it, neither can Blue Card Services.
2. Check all parts of the form are complete.
3. The 'Organisation Declaration' will not be signed until your original identification has been sighted and signature has been checked. Ensure you bring with you your Original Identification not copies.
4. Don't complete the Organisation Details section. This will be completed by the Fit for Placement Office or Student Centre.
5. When uploading your application onto the Blue Card Portal, make sure you scan all the pages of the form into one PDF document and attach the correct document.
Once your application form has been completed and verified by either Fit for Placement Office or Student Centre you will be required to upload your application via the online submission portal on the Blue Card website. Select the tick box for email me confirmation of successful lodgement and you will receive notification of successful submission. Upload this confirmation on Sonia.
If you already have a Blue Card, complete the Link an applicant/cardholder to this organisation form located under the "Have a card already?" Tab and "Working for another organisation" link and submit to the Fit for Placement Office at the Gold Coast or to Student Centre at all other campuses. Ensure you bring your Blue Card with you.
If your usual residence is more than 50kms away from any Griffith University Campus, complete the Confirmation of identity form located under the "Need to apply for card" Tab and email the Application form, Confirmation of identity form and a copy of the identification that has been verified to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you lose your Blue Card or Positive Notice you MUST inform Blue Card Services and organise a new card by submitting a Card/Notice Letter Lost or Stolen Form.
Students who are registered as a health practitioner and are furthering their studies in the same discipline ie: registered as an Enrolled Nurse and completing Bachelor of Nursing or Midwifery, are exempt from applying for a Blue Card. You will need to submit a copy of your Registration and your Blue Card expiry date will be in line with your Registration expiry date.
First Aid and CPR Certificates
- First Aid certificates are current for 3 years. CPR certificates are current for 12 months only.
- Complete an Australian Nationally Accredited 'Provide First Aid' unit (formerly known as Perform First Aid or Senior First Aid) - This unit includes the component 'Provide CPR (formerly known as Perform CPR ).
- First Aid and CPR certificates from Queensland Health facilities are not accepted as Queensland Health is not an accredited training provider.
- First Aid and CPR certificates from an online course are not accepted. You must attend the training course in person.
- International First Aid/CPR training certificates are not accepted as the training varies between countries.
- If you are a registered Health Practitioner (eg RN, Medical Officer, etc) you ARE NOT EXEMPT from submitting current First Aid and CPR Certificates.
It is the student's responsibility to meet the costs of an accredited First Aid/ CPR course. Nationally-accredited providers offer First Aid/ CPR training and assessment to standards established by the Industry Skills Council and Australian Department of Education, Science and Training and some of these include:
- Griffith University Student Guild
- Australian Red Cross
- St John Ambulance Australia
- Queensland Ambulance Service (or interstate equivalent)
Work Integrated Learning (WIL) Health and Safety Module Online Training
- Log in to Learning@Griffith
- Select the Organisations tab at the top of the screen
- Type in the Organisation search box "WIL Placement"
- Click "GO"
- Hover over EPS_WORK_PLACEMENT an options menu arrow will appear
- Click the arrow
- Click "enrol"
- Complete enrolment by clicking "Submit" and "OK"
- Review the induction module material and complete the Safety Quiz as per the instructions
You need to correctly answer a minimum of 7 questions out of 10 to achieve a pass. Print certificates as proof of having successfully completed this training.
If you have previously completed this module you do not have to do it again.
For assistance please contact:
Australia's First Peoples Cultural Awareness for Health (Yuwahn Wupin)
- Click on the link below.
- Scroll down the page complete the pre-learning survey, read the information and play the videos on the Welcome page.
- Click on Get Started to Begin your Journey.
- Work your way through each of the 5 Modules. Take the Quiz after each module.
- You will need to Login or Register with your Griffith University account ie: Griffith student email address.
- Once you have completed all 5 modules including the quiz questions you will earn your Yuwhan Wupin digital badge.
- You will not receive a certificate of completion. Your Check in Sonia will be updated by the Fit for Placement team.
Should you have any issues please email email@example.com.
Griffith University Student Undertaking
All Griffith Health students who undertake placement must complete the Griffith University Student Undertaking before commencing their first placement. This Undertaking will govern your behaviour and activities whilst you are on placement.
The Undertaking will continue for the duration of your degree program. You may withdraw the consent that you have provided through the Undertaking at any time by providing written notice to the University. A withdrawal of consent will affect your ability to continue with your required placements.
The Undertaking is located on SONIA Online under the Forms tab. Please see Fact Sheet for directions on how to complete the Undertaking.