AAWP 2020 : Rising Tides
Griffith University, Gold Coast Campus, 16 - 18 November 2020
At this 25th anniversary AAWP conference we ask, what does 20/20 vision bring us as we face the rising tides of the future? What must writers write for now? Where should research be directed? How might publishing adapt? How can teaching prepare the writers of the future? What do the coming changes mean for traditional genres and emergent technologies? Will writing itself sink or swim?
It is now a quarter of a century since the first AAWP conference. A milestone in the history of creative writing in Australia. The 2020 conference will be held online and at the Gold Coast campus of Griffith University, a place known as much for its real estate expansionism, as for its tidal settings. Thankfully, the Gold Coast campus of Griffith University is well above sea level.
NOTE: Although travel plans are interrupted due to Covid-19 concerns the conference will go ahead in November both online and in person.
The AAWP 2020 conference (16 - 18 November) will bring together a vibrant array of online and onsite papers, readings, workshops, keynotes, prizes and launches, with live (and streamed) celebration events on the evenings of Tuesday 17 November and Wednesday 18 November.
Online presenters will be supported by a highly experienced, professional IT team. Directions will be provided in advance to all registered participants on how to use the Zoom webinar platform, share PowerPoint presentations and prepare any video content speakers wish to include. Session support will also be available.
Conference registrations are accepted until the 12 November and includes day, student and full conference registration options. All registrants must be AAWP members at the time of the conference.
The conference program is now available: 25th AAWP Anniversary Conference Rising Tides 2020 (PDF 3.7MB)
It includes the speaker schedule, abstracts and all speaker bios, advice on using zoom for online participation, guidelines for speakers and session chairs, IT support, and campus maps.
Parking is available for in-person attendees in building G55. Please contact email@example.com if you require a parking code.
Session mode changes:
Changes to arrangements have been necessary to accommodate the impact of the pandemic.
- Monday sessions will now be online only.
- Tuesday and Wednesday sessions will be in dual mode – ‘live’ presentations will take place on the GUGC campus in Building G.17
- Smallroom Writers Collective presents the AAWP readings on Tuesday night, 17 November, 6 - 9pm on campus in G.07 the Drama Theatre. Entry is free for AAWP delegates. Register: Smallroom presents the AAWP Readings - Live and Online
- A ‘Green Room’ space will be set up in Building G.01, Room 2.12 for displays, meetings and quiet reflection.
- The AAWP 25th Anniversary celebration event will take place on Wednesday 18 November, 6 - 8pm at the Mantra@Sharks function centre.
- For those attending the conference in person, Mantra@Sharks remains our preferred hotel accommodation venue.
Safety First for In-person Sessions:
A GU Covid-safe plan is in place. Participants will sign into venues via QR Code or logbook venues and we will maintain a distance of 1.5 metres. Hand-gel and wipes will be available. Enclosed footwear should be worn and anyone with cold or flu symptoms is asked to stay away. Conference programs will be provided but we recommend that those attending in person print and bring your own copies.
Conference login details
Our Tech Support team recommend that you use Zoom Client for meetings Version 5.4.2 or later for the best conference experience. You can get the newest version of Zoom on the Zoom website
Conference Zoom link:
- Meeting ID: 840 7949 8446
- Passcode: 066122
For those attending the conference in person, Mantra@Sharks is the recommended hotel. It is offering a 15% discount to conference participants. With cafes, bars and restaurants, it’s a 10 min walk to a supermarket and the tram line. The tram line links Griffith University (GC) with the beachside Mantra hotels and Helensvale Station.
The closest airport to Griffith University (GC) is Coolangatta, serviced by a bus which connects with the tram. The tram also links directly with Brisbane airports and city via train. Transport information is available via Translink: https://translink.com.au/
For individual bookings:
- Visit www.mantra.com.au
Choose your hotel of choice from (map below for reference)
- Mantra at Sharks – 15% off Mantra Daily Rate
- Mantra at View Surfers Paradise - 10% off Mantra Daily Rate
- Mantra On the Park Broadbeach - 10% off Mantra Daily Rate
- Use promotional code - AAWP2020 - to obtain discount between Sunday 15th November 2020 - Thursday 19th of November 2020.
AAWP Conference 2020, Gold Coast