Professor David Grant joined Griffith University as Pro Vice Chancellor (Business) in January 2016. David is an internationally distinguished scholar with extensive leadership experience. Previous to his appointment at Griffith he was Senior Deputy Dean at UNSW Australia Business School. Prior to this he held several senior administrative roles at the University of Sydney Business School including Associate Dean (Undergraduate), Associate Dean (Research), Deputy Dean (Academic), Co-Dean, and most recently Acting Dean. He was previously also Head of the Department of Management at King’s College, London.
David is regarded a pre-eminent scholar in the field of Organisational Studies. He was elected a Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences in 2008, and has held honorary and visiting positions at the King’s College, London, The University of Auckland Business School, UTS, UC Santa Barbara, The University of Melbourne and McGill University.
David received his BA (Government) from the University of Essex and MSc. (Industrial Relations and Personnel Management) and PhD (Management) from the London School of Economics and Political Science.
His current portfolio includes leadership of Griffith University's Business Group, and associated Research Centres and Academic Departments.
In addition to his position at Griffith, David is the current President of the Australian Business Deans Council.
Teaching, Research and Consultancy
David's teaching, research and consultancy work reflects a commitment to the strengthening of scholar-practitioner links which encourage mutual learning and advancement. His teaching focuses on organizational change and development and on leadership and he has designed and delivered change and leadership related executive education programs and professional workshops, for government, business, professional, community and labour organisations in North America, Europe, Australia and Japan. As an expert on organisational discourse, his research examines how language and other symbolic media influence our understanding of, and the practice of, leadership and organisation-wide, group and individual level change processes. Much of this work has been funded by government (Australian Research Council) and other grants amounting to over AU$1.2m.
Recent projects have focused on ICT and change, new organisation development practices, and business
responses to climate change.
In addition to his position at Griffith, David is currently President of the Australian Business Deans Council.
As Pro Vice Chancellor (Business) David is responsible for:
- executive level leadership and management of the Business Group
- strategic planning for the Business Group; and
- high level external representation of the University and Group nationally and internationally.
Organisational Units reporting to the Pro Vice Chancellor (Business)
- Department of Accounting, Finance and Economics
- Department of Employment Relations and Human Resources
- School of Government and International Relations
- Department of Business Strategy and Innovation
- Department of Marketing
- Department of Tourism, Sport and Hotel Management
- Centre for Governance and Public Policy
- Centre for Work, Organisation and Wellbeing
- Griffith Asia Institute
- Griffith Institute for Tourism
- Griffith Centre for Sustainable Enterprise
- Social Marketing @ Griffith
- Griffith Centre for Personal Finance and Superannuation
- The Yunus Centre Griffith University
- APEC Study Centre