The OS-HELP funding is designed to assist eligible Australian students to undertake an overseas experience as a part of their degree studies. The loan can be used for a range of expenses such as airfares, accommodation, and other travel or study expenses.
The amount that can be paid in 2017 is:
- $6,567 (for studies outside Asia)
- $7,880 (for studies inside Asia)
There is no loan fee applied to OS-HELP loans and the amount you borrow will be added to your existing HELP debt. Students who don't have a current HELP debt can still apply for OS-HELP as long as they are studying within a Commonwealth supported place at University. Eligible students may receive up to two OS-HELP loans in their lifetime, however the second loan can only be paid 6 months and one day after the commencement of the first program.
Before applying for a loan, please ensure you are familiar with the OS-HELP loan requirements.
Step 1: Check your eligibility
To apply for a 2017 OS-HELP loan please ensure you must:
- be an Australian citizen, permanent humanitarian visa holder or a New Zealand Special Category Visa holder who meets the long-term residency requirements;
- be enrolled in an undergraduate or a postgraduate program at Griffith University as a Commonwealth supported student in a Commonwealth supported place;
- have completed at least 80CP of study in your current Griffith degree program (at the time of application) OR successfully completed your undergraduate program at Griffith University as a Commonwealth supported student and be enrolled into Honours or a postgraduate program at Griffith University;
- have at least 10CP of your degree remaining upon your return from overseas; and
- be undertaking full-time study overseas for credit (see academic credit requirements below)
Academic credit requirements:
- If your overseas program is up to six weeks in duration you be approved to receive at least 10CP of credit towards your Griffith degree program
- If your overseas program is more than six weeks, but less than a trimester, in duration you must be approved to receive at least 20CP toward your Griffith degree program
- If your overseas program is a full trimester you must be approved to receive at least 30CP of credit back to your Griffith degree program. For one year, this must be at least 60CP.
**Transfer credit from another program or other Australian Universities/TAFE is accepted as long as this credit is counting towards your current degree at Griffith.
Asian language loan supplement:
To be eligible for the Asian language loan supplement, you must:
- be selected to undertake overseas study in Asia;
- be undertaking language study in preparation for the overseas study;
- have been selected to receive an OS-HELP loan for the overseas study; and
- have not yet completed the Asian language study before applying for the supplementary amount
Language study delivered by Griffith University is not eligible for the loan supplement.
Step 2: Prepare your supporting documents
As a part of the application, you will be required to submit the following documents:
- Evidence of Griffith Short Term Program Registration* (see note below) OR Griffith Exchange Program Acceptance
- Acceptance letter from the Host University OR Overseas Program Provider OR Griffith Study Tour Convenor
- Evidence that the overseas study will be credited towards your degree program**
- Australian passport OR permanent humanitarian visa OR New Zealand Special Category Visa (SCV)
- Evidence of enrolment in Asian language study (only applicable if applying for the supplementary Asian language study loan
*Evidence of Griffith Short Term Program Registration is the automatic email confirmation sent to you once you have completed your Short Term Program Registration. This is to ensure that your program is registered with Griffith Global Mobility as OS-HELP is managed by a separate team.
Step 3: Submit your application
Please familiarise yourself with the supporting documents. Incorrect documents will delay the assessment of your application.
Important: Complete applications received after 28 November are not guaranteed to be paid (if approved) this year as Griffith's finance department cease payments from early December, no exceptions. The Financial Aid and Sponsorship office will continue to assess applications, and if approved, the payment will be queued for when the university reopens in January.
You will be directed to the myGriffith webpage and will be required to sign-in with your student log in information. If you are already signed in, then you will automatically be directed to the application page.
If you experience technical issues in accessing the form, please contact our International Financial Aid and Sponsorship Office.
Step 4: Assessment and outcome
Applications are assessed in order of submission and not program departure date.
You will be notified by email of the outcome of your application within 10 business days of your complete application being submitted. Incorrect or insufficient supporting documents may delay the assessment process.
If approved for an OS-HELP loan, will be required to read, sign and submit an online OS-HELP Debt Confirmation Form. Instructions on how to do so will be provided with the approval notice.
Once completed, payment will be made as soon as possible.
If you have questions regarding OS-HELP or require assistance in completing the online form, please contact the Financial Aid and Sponsorship Officer on 555 27190 or to submit an online enquiry:
- Visit Ask Us for current students (log in may be required)
- Select the topic (International, Scholarships and financial aid)