B Science, M Science, PhD
Professor, Griffith School of Environment
Synthesis and characterisation of nanoparticulate semiconductor photocatalysts; fundamental studies of kinetic and thermodynamic properties of photocatalysis processes; development of new generation photoanodes for solar energy conversion (dye-sensitised solar cell) and removal of organic pollutants (water treatment technologies); development of new analytical method and instrument for real-time, on-line, in situ water quality monitoring applications including chemical oxygen demand, biochemical demand, total organic carbon, nutrients (N&P), heavy metal ions and other water quality parameters; electrochemical sensors / biosensors; membrane separation technology; functional polymer materials; energy storage materials and secondary batteries.
Current Teaching Areas
- Analytical Chemistry
- Approved Topic
- Li W., Zhao H., Teasdale P.T. and John R., Analytical Chemistry, 75 (2003) 2578-2583, "Application of a Poly(4-styrenesulfonate) Liquid Binding Layer for Measurement of Cu2+ and Cd2+ with the Diffusive Gradients in Thin Films Technique"
- Catterall K., Zhao H., Pasco N., John R., Analytical Chemistry, 75 (2003) 2584-2590, "Development of a rapid ferricyanide mediated assay for biochemical oxygen demand using a mixed microbial consortium"
- Jiang D., Zhao H., Zhang S. and John R., Journal of Physical Chemistry B: 107 (2003) 12774-12780, "Characterisation of Photoelectrocatalytic Processes at Nanoporous TiO2 Film Electrodes ??? Photocatalytic Oxidation of Glucose"
- Zhao H., Jiang D., Zhang S. and John R., Analytical Chemistry, 76 (2004) 155-160, "Development of A Direct Photoelectrochemical Method for Rapid Determination of Chemical Oxygen Demand"
- Jiang D., Zhao H., Zhang S. and John R., Journal of Catalysis, 223 (2004) 212-220, "Kinetic Study of Photocatalytic Oxidation of Adsorbed Organic Compounds at TiO2 Porous Films by Photoelectrolysis"
- Morris, Zhao, H.; John, R., Australian Journal of Chemistry, Invited review, 58 (2005) 237-245, "Ferricyanide-Mediated Microbial Reactions for Environmental Monitoring"
- Zhang S., Jiang D., and Zhao H., Environmental Science and Technology, 40 (2006) 2363-2368, "Development of chemical oxygen demand on-line monitoring system based on photoelectrochemical degradation principle"
- Fogelman S., Zhao H., Blumenstein M., Analytical & Bioanalytical Chemistry, 386 (2006) 1773-1779, "A rapid analytical method for predicting the oxygen demand of wastewater"
- Jiang D., Zhang S., and Zhao H., Environmental Science and Technology, 41 (2007) 303-308, "Photocatalytic degradation characteristics of different organic compounds at TiO2 nanoporous film electrodes with mixed anatase/rutile phases"
- Gan W. Y., Lam S., Chiang K., Amal R., Zhao H., Journal of Materials Chemistry, 17 (2007) 952-954, "Novel TiO2 thin film with non-UV activated superwetting and antifogging ; behaviours"