BSc Hons Zoology (Canterbury), PhD(McGill)
Research Member, Australian Rivers Institute, Nathan
- Fish recruitment and community ecology in Australian rivers
- Ecology of endangered and alien species
- Science, methods and management of environmental flow allocations to sustain river biota and river/floodplain ecosystems
- Arthington, A.H., S.R. Balcombe (2011). Extreme hydrologic variability and the boom and bust ecology of fish in arid-zone floodplain rivers: a case study with implications for environmental flows, conservation and management. Ecohydrology 4: 708–720.
- Arthington Angela H., Robert J. Naiman, Michael E. McClain and Christer Nilsson (2010). Preserving the biodiversity and ecological services of rivers: new challenges and research opportunities. Freshwater Biology 55 (1): 1-16, Special Issue on Environmental Flows; Science and Management.
- Arthington, A.H., J.D. Olden, S. R. Balcombe, M.C. Thoms (2010). Multi-scale environmental factors explain fish losses and refuge quality in drying waterholes of Cooper Creek, an Australian arid-zone river. Marine and Freshwater Research 61(8): 842-856 (Special Issue on Arid Zone Rivers)
- Arthington,A.H.(2009). Australian lungfish. Neoceratodus forsteri, threatened by a new dam. Environmental Biology of Fishes 84:211-221.
- Bond, N.R., P.S. Lake, A.H. Arthington (2008). The impacts of drought on freshwater ecosystems: an Australian perspective. Hydrobiologia 600 (1): 3-16.
- Knight, J.T., and Arthington, A.H., (2008) Distribution and habitat associations of the endangered Oxleyan pygmy perch, Nannoperca oxleyana Whitley, in Eastern Australia. Aquatic Conservation Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems. Published online in Wiley InterScience (www.interscience.wiley.com)
- Arthington, A. H.; Baran, E.; Brown, C. A.; Dugan, P.; Halls, A. S.; King, J. M.; Minte-Vera, C. V.; Tharme, R. E.; Welcomme, R. L. (2007). Water requirements of floodplain rivers and fisheries: existing decision support tools and pathways for development. Colombo, Sri Lanka: International Water Management Institute. 74 pp. (Comprehensive Assessment of Water Management in Agriculture Research Report 17).
- Balcombe, S.R., Bunn, S.E., Arthington, A.H., Fawcett, J.H., McKenzie-Smith, F.J. and Wright, A. (2007). Fish larvae, growth and biomass relationships in an Australian arid zone river: links between floodplains and waterholes. Freshwater Biology 52: 2385-2398.
- Kennard, Mark J., Julian D. Olden, Angela H. Arthington, Bradley J. Pusey and N. LeRoy Poff (2007). Multiscale effects of flow regime and habitat and their interaction on fish assemblage structure in eastern Australia. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences.64: 1346-1359.
- Arthington, Angela H., Bunn, Stuart E., Le Roy Poff, N., Naiman, Robert J., (2006) The challenge of providing environmental flow rules to sustain river ecosystems. Ecological Applications 16(4): 1311-1318.
- Arthington, A.H., S.R. Balcombe, G.A. Wilson, M.C. Thoms, and J. Marshall (2005). Spatial and temporal variation in fish assemblage structure in isolated waterholes during the 2001 dry season of an arid-zone river, Cooper Creek, Australia. Marine and Freshwater Research 56: 25-35.
- Dudgeon, D., Arthington, A.H., Gessner, M.O, Kawabata, Z., Knowler, D., Leveque, C., Naiman, R.J., Prieur-Richard, A.-H., Soto, D. & Stiassny, M.L.J. (2005). Freshwater biodiversity: importance, threats, status, and conservation challenges. Biological Reviews 18:
- Arthington A.H., Lorenzen K., Pusey B.J., Abell R., Halls, A., Winemiller K.O., Arrington D.A., Baran E. (2004). River fisheries: ecological basis for management and conservation. In: Proceedings of the Second International Symposium on the Management of Large Rivers for Fisheries Volume I. Welcomme, R. and T. Petr, Eds, FAO Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific, Bangkok, Thailand. RAP Publication 2004/16, pp. 21-60.
- Pusey, B.J., M.J. Kennard and A.H. Arthington (2004). Freshwater Fishes of North-Eastern Australia. CSIRO Publishing, Collingwood, Victoria. 684 pp.
- Arthington, A.H. and B.J. Pusey (2003). Flow restoration and protection in Australian rivers. River Research and Applications 19 (5-6): 377-395.
- Arthington, A.H., J.L. Rall, M.J. Kennard and B.J. Pusey (2003). Environmental flow requirements of fish in Lesotho Rivers using the DRIFT methodology. River Research and Applications 19 (5-9): 641-666.
- Bunn, S.E. and A. H. Arthington (2002). Basic principles and ecological consequences of altered flow regimes for aquatic biodiversity. Environmental Management 30, 492-507.