BA (Hons)(Anthropology)(UWA), BA(Hons)(Urban & Regional Planning)(Curtin), PhD(Geography)(USC)
- Urban nature parks and greenspace planning
- Equity and fairness in planning (environmental ethics and justice)
- Open space and healthy cities
- Ecological modernisation and sustainability
- Climate change adaptation and urban resilience
Current Research Projects
- Access to urban greenspace in dense built environments
- Urban greenspace and climate change adaptation in Gold Coast, Fort Lauderdale and Beihai
- Perception and use of Karawatha Forest Park, Brisbane
- Climate justice in Australian cities
- Community gardens and biodiversity
- Horse-riding in national parks
Current Teaching Areas
- 1017ENV Introduction to Environmental Planning
- 2057ENV Urban Analysis
- Byrne, J. and Wolch, J. (2009) ‘Nature, race and parks: Past research and future directions for geographic research’ Progress in Human Geography Vol. 33 (6) pp 743-765, [ISI=3.762; H index=42, SJR= 0,075].
- Byrne, J., Wolch, J. and Zhang, J. (2009) ‘Planning for environmental justice in an urban national park’ Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Vol. 52(3) pp. 1-28, [ISI=n/a; H index=21, SJR= 0,070].
- Byrne, J., Kendrick, M., and Sroaf, D. (2007) ‘The Park Made of Oil: A Historical Political Ecology of Park Development in the Baldwin Hills’ Local Environment Vol. 12(2) pp. 153-181[ISI=n/a; H index=15, SJR= 0,044]
- Reynolds, K.D., Wolch, J., Byrne, J., Chou-C-P., Feng, G., Weaver, S., Jerrett, M. (2007) ‘Trail characteristics as correlates of urban trail use’ American Journal of Health Promotion Vol. 21(14) pp. 335-345 [ISI=n/a; H index=40, SJR= 0,130].
- Searle, G. and Byrne, J.A. (2002) ‘Selective Memories, Sanitised Futures: Constructing Visions of Future Place in Inner Sydney’ Urban Policy and Research, Vol. 20(1), pp. 7-25 [ISI=n/a; H index=?, SJR= ?]
- Byrne, J. (2011) ‘The human relationship with nature: rights of animals and plants in the urban context’ in I. Douglas, D. Goode, M. Houck and W. Rusong (eds.) Handbook of Urban Ecology, Abingdon, Routledge, pp 63-73.
- Bajracharya, B., O'Hare, D. and Byrne, J. (2010) 'Greening transit-oriented development and subtropical design' in B.Glesson and W. Steele (eds.) A climate for Growth: Planning South East Queensland, Brisbane, University of Queensland Press, pp. 147-166.
- Byrne, J., Gleeson, B., Howes, M. and Steele, W. 2009 ‘Climate change & Australian urban resilience: The limits of ecological modernisation as an adaptive strategy’ in S. Davoudi, Crawford and Mehmood (eds.) Planning for Climate Change: Strategies for Mitigation and Adaptation, LONDON, Earthscan, pp 136-154.
- Byrne, J., and Houston, D. (2005) Ghosts in the City: Multicultural Redevelopment and Urban Memory in East Perth in D. Cryle and J. Hillier (eds.) Consent and Consensus: Politics, Media and Governance in Twentieth Century Australia, Common Cultures Series, PERTH, API Network. pp. 319-349
- Byrne, J. (2010) ‘Environmental justice’ and ‘’Ecological justice’ in B.D. Solomon (ed) Encyclopedia of Geography, Sage.
- Byrne, J. and Wolch, J. (2009) Urban habitats / nature in N. Thrift and R. Kitchin (eds.) International Encyclopedia of Human Geography, Elsevier.
- Byrne, J. (2007) (Eco) Design and Quality of Life in P. Robbins (ed.) Encyclopedia of Environment and Society, THOUSAND OAKS, Ca., Sage.
- Byrne, J. (2008) Review of Agyeman, J. (2005), Sustainable Communities and the Challenge of Environmental Justice, New York, New York University Press.Urban Policy and Research, Vol 26 (2) pp. 238-241[ISI=n/a; H index =?. SKR=?]
- Byrne, J. (2003) Review of Evans, P. (ed.) (2002), Liveable Cities? Urban Struggles for Livelihood and Sustainability, Berkeley, University of California Press. Ethics, Place and Environment, Vol 6(1), pp. 90-92[ISI=n/a; H index=9. SJR=0.042]
- Byrne, J. (2001) Review of Valsson, T. (2000), City and Nature: An Integrated Whole, Reykjavik, Iceland University Press. Environment and Planning A, Vol 33 (9), pp. 1705-1708.[ISI=1.726; H index=36, SJR=0.059]
- Byrne, J. (2000) Review of Gleeson, B. and Low, N. (2000), Australian Planning: New Challenges, New Agendas, Sydney, Allen and Unwin, Urban Policy and Research,Vol. 19 (2), pp. 258-260.[iISI-n/a; H INDEX=?,SJR=?]
- Byrne, J. (1999) Review of Gleeson, B. and Hanley, P. (eds.), (1998), Renewing Australian Planning: New Challenges, New Agendas, Canberra, Research School of Social Sciences, Australian National University.Urban Policy and Research, Vol. 17 (3), pp. 252-254.[ISI=n/a; H index=?, SJR=?]
- Byrne, J. and Sipe, N. (2010) Green and open space planning for urban consolidation - a review of the literature, Urban Research Program, Issues Paper 11, URP Brisbane, p. 1-54.
- Byrne, J. and Qi, L. (2008) Planning for Parks and Greenspace in Transit Oriented Developments, Queensland Development Research Institute, Nerang.
- Sister, C., Wolch, J., Wilson, J, Linder, A., Seymour, M., Byrne, J., and Swift, J. (2007) Green Visions Plan for 21st Century Southern California: Park and Open Space Resources in the Green Visions Plan Area, University of Southern California, GIS Research Laboratory and Center for Sustainable Cities, Los Angeles, California.
- Byrne, J., Wolch, J., Swift, J and Ryan, C. (2006) SAGE (Systematic Audit of Green-space Environments): Audit Form and Instructions,University of Southern California, Center for Sustainable Cities, Los Angeles, California.
- Seymour, M., Byrne, J., Martino, D., and Wolch, J. (2006) Green Visions Plan for 21st Century Southern California. Recreationist-Wildlife Interactions in Urban Parks. University of Southern California GIS Research Laboratory and Center for Sustainable Cities, Los Angeles, California.
- Byrne, J. (2004) SPACES for Trails: Audit Form and Instructions, University of Southern California, Institute for Disease Prevention Research, Los Angeles, California.
- Wolch, J., Byrne, J., Kahle, C. and Zhang, J. (2003) Report on the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area Visitor Trail Use Survey. Los Angeles, National Park Service.
Current Supervised PhD Projects:
- Sebastian Rossi - Conflict within peri-urban national parks (joint supervisor)
- Wendy Hill - Political ecology of a Mexican biosphere reserve (joint supervisor)
- Daniela Guitart - International surfing reserve movement (joint supervisor)
- Tania Romero Brito - Predictors of NGO success in ecotourism ventures (joint supervisor)
- Chris Boulton - Alternative measures for urban park provision (joint supervisor)