Bachelor of City Planning (Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey), Master of City and Regional Planning (Clemson University, Clemson, South Carolina, USA), PhD (Urban and Regional Planning) (Florida State University, Florida, USA)
Senior Lecturer, Griffith School of Environment
- Environmental planning and environmental justice
- Climate change adaptation and disaster resilience
- Decision making, specifically collaborative planning, consensus building, and alternative dispute resolution
- Regional planning and natural resource management
- Growth management and urbanisation in subtropical areas
Current Research Projects
- Increasing Disaster Resilience of People and Property: Fostering Collaboration on Land Use and Transport Planning in Coastal High Hazard Zones, funded by the Queensland Centre for Social Science Innovation Grants, with Douglas Baker and Mellini Sloan of QUT.
- History of Gold Coast urbanism and development through the GoCART (Gold Coast Area Research Team) research group within the Urban Research Program co-convened by Dr. Caryl Bosman
Current Teaching Areas
- 3097ENV Strategic Planning Studio
- 4227ENV Resolving Environmental Issues
- Ruth Potts, Aysin Dedekorkut-Howes, and Caryl Bosman. 2013. Gold Coast is Not Only All That Glitters: Understanding Visitor and Resident Perceptions of the Gold Coast, Australian Planner. 50 (4): 316-327
- Caryl Bosman, Aysin Dedekorkut-Howes and Dianne Dredge. 2012. The First Year Experience in Higher Education and Planning Studio Pedagogies: An Australian Case Study, CEBE Transactions. 9(1):3-19
- Aysin Dedekorkut, Johanna Mustelin, Michael Howes, and Jason Byrne. 2010. Tempering Growth: Planning for the Challenges of Climate Change and Growth Management in SEQ, Australian Planner. 47 (3): 203-215.
- Ayşın Dedekorkut-Howes and Michael Howes. In press. Climate Adaptation Policy and Planning in South East Queensland, in Responding to Climate Change: Lessons from a hotspot. Burton, P. (ed.) CSIRO Publishing: Melbourne.
- Ayşın Dedekorkut-Howes. 2014. (Bio)Regional planning and growth management, in Australian Environmental Planning: Challenges and Prospects. Jason Byrne, Jago Dodson and Neil Sipe (eds.). Routledge. 234-245.
- Michael Howes and Aysin Dedekorkut-Howes. 2012. Climate Adaptation and the Australian System of Government: The Gold Coast Example, in Environmental Policy Failure: The Australian Story. Kate Crowley and K.J. Walker (eds). Prahran, VIC: Tilde University Press.pp 116-130
- Aysin Dedekorkut. 2005. Tampa Bay Water Wars: From Conflict to Collaboration?, in Adaptive Governance and Water Conflict: New Institutions for Collaborative Planning. John T. Scholz and Bruce Stiftel (eds.). Washington, DC: Resources for the Future. pp.52-63
- Aysin Dedekorkut. 2005. Suwannee River Partnership: Representation Instead of Regulation, in Adaptive Governance and Water Conflict: New Institutions for Collaborative Planning. John T. Scholz and Bruce Stiftel (eds.). Washington, DC: Resources for the Future. pp. 25-39
- Fran Berry, Bruce Stiftel and Aysin Dedekorkut. 2003. State Agency Administrative Mediation: Assessment of Florida Trial and Prospects, in The Promise and Performance of Environmental Conflict Resolution. Rosemary OLeary and Lisa Bingham (Eds.). Resources for the Future.pp. 207-229
- Aysin Dedekorkut. 2011. Environmental Justice (Ethics), in Green Issues and Debates. J. Newman and J. Golson (eds). Thousand Oaks, California: Sage Publications.pp.210-216
- Aysin Dedekorkut. 2011. Individual Action versus Collective Action, in Green Issues and Debates. J. Newman and J. Golson (eds). Thousand Oaks, California: Sage Publications.pp.305-309
- Aysin Dedekorkut. 2011. Civic Environmentalism, in Green Ethics and Philosophy. J. Newman and J. Golson (eds). Thousand Oaks, California: Sage Publications.pp.64-68
- Aysin Dedekorkut. 2011. Urbanization, in Green Ethics and Philosophy. J. Newman and J. Golson (eds). Thousand Oaks, California: Sage Publications.pp.420-422
Academic Conference Proceedings (Peer-reviewed)
- Michael Howes and Ayşın Dedekorkut-Howes. 'The Paradox of Paradise: Declining government responses to the increasing risks of climate change on the Gold Coast.' State of Australian Cities Conference 2013, Sydney, 26-29 November. http://www.soacconference.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Howes-Environment.pdf
- Ayşın Dedekorkut-Howes. 'City without a Plan: How the Gold Coast was Shaped.' State of Australian Cities Conference 2013, Sydney, 26-29 November. http://www.soacconference.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Dedekorkut-Howes-Structure.pdf
- Ayşın Dedekorkut-Howes and Severine Mayere-Donehue. 'Managing Growth in the Sunshine States: Urbanization and Planning in Queensland and Florida.' 49th International Society of City and Regional Planners Congress, Brisbane, October 1-4 2013. http://www.eventure-online.com/parthen-uploads/95/13BRI/add226888_7kLiqKsUZE.pdf
- Ayşın Dedekorkut-Howes and Mellini Sloan. 'Disaster Resilience and Local Adaptation Capacity in Coastal Queensland' in Australian Political Studies Association Conference, Hobart, September 24-26, 2012. http://www98.griffith.edu.au/dspace/bitstream/handle/10072/51344/84105_1.pdf;jsessionid=63E8BC7FC83FED668D934DF9DAA4E64D?sequence=1
- Lachlan McClure, Ruth Potts, Ayşın Dedekorkut-Howes and Mellini Sloan. 'What Do Current Planning Students and Recent Graduates Think Planners Do?' in Australia & New Zealand Association of Planning Schools 2012 Conference, Bendigo, September 21-23, 2012. http://anzaps.net/admin/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/ANZAPS-2012_full_web.pdf
- Aysin Dedekorkut-Howes and Caryl Bosman 2011, 'The Unbearable Lightness of Being Gold Coast', in State of Australian Cities National Conference 2011 Proceedings, Melbourne, Australia.
- Ruth Potts, Aysin Dedekorkut-Howes and Caryl Bosman 2011, 'Battle of the Brands: The Gold Coast Identity Crisis', in State of Australian Cities National Conference 2011 Proceedings, Melbourne, Australia.
- Michael Howes, Aysin Dedekorkut-Howes and Jason Byrne 2011, 'Alternative States: Comparing Climate Adaptation Governance for the Gold Coast (Australia), Fort Lauderdale (USA) and Beihai (China)', in World Planning Schools Congress 2011: Planning in an era of uncertainty and transformation, Perth, Western Australia. http://www98.griffith.edu.au/dspace/bitstream/handle/10072/45266/72771_1.pdf?sequence=1
- Michael Howes, Aysin Dedekorkut-Howes, Neil Sipe and Eddo Coiacetto 2011, 'Broadening Horizons: Teaching planning students about climate change at the Griffith School of Environment', in World Planning Schools Congress 2011: Planning in an era of uncertainty and transformation, Perth, Western Australia.http://www98.griffith.edu.au/dspace/bitstream/handle/10072/45268/72778_1.pdf?sequence=1
- Neil Sipe, Severine Mayere-Donehue and Aysin Dedekorkut-Howes 2011, 'Measuring Urban Form: A Comparative Analysis of South East Queensland and South Florida', in World Planning Schools Congress 2011: Planning in an era of uncertainty and transformation, Perth, Western Australia .http://www98.griffith.edu.au/dspace/bitstream/handle/10072/45267/72776_1.pdf?sequence=1
- Aysin Dedekorkut-Howes, Michael Howes, Jason Byrne Tim Chapin, Paul Burton and Zhu Pengfei 2011, 'Averting Atlantis: Adapting Subtropical Cities to Climate Change - A Comparative Study of the Gold Coast and Fort Lauderdale', in Subtropical Cities 2011: Subtropical Urbanism Beyond Climate Change Conference Proceedings, Florida Atlantic University, United States.
- Aysin Dedekorkut-Howes, Severine Mayere-ÂDonehue and Neil Sipe 2011, 'Do Planning Regulations Matter? A Comparison of South East Queensland and South Florida', in Subtropical Cities 2011: Subtropical Urbanism beyond Climate Change Conference Proceedings, Florida Atlantic University, Florida, USA.
- Ruth Potts and Aysin Dedekorkut-Howes and Caryl Bosman 2011, 'Uncovering the City behind the Masks: The Gold Coast Identity Crisis', in Subtropical Cities 2011: subtropical urbanism beyond climate change Conference Proceedings, Florida Atlantic University, United States.
- Severine Mayere, Aysin Dedekorkut and Neil Sipe 2010, 'Resembling Florida: Transpacific Transfer of Ideas from One Gold Coast to Another', in 14th International Planning History Society Conference - Urban Transformation: Controversies, contrasts and challenges: Proceedings, Urban and Environmental Planning and Research Centre, Turkey.
Current Supervised PhD Projects
- Bixia Xu
- Meghamala Roy-Basu
- Kirandeep Sandhu
- Elnaz Torabi