PhD Lincoln, MSc Waikato, BSc Fujian
Current Supervised PhD Projects (as a principal supervisor)
Professor, Griffith School of Environment
- Soil ecology –interactions of soil, plant, microbe and mesofauna.
- Biogeochemical cycling of carbon and nutrients in terrestrial ecosystems.
- Assessment of impacts of global climate change on the biogeochemical processes and the belowground microbial diversity using advanced isotopic, nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and PCR-based molecular techniques.
- Land resource management, mine rehabilitation, restoration of degraded ecosystems and agricultural disposal of recycled organics.
- Biochar application and fertilization
- Soil-Plant root-microbe interaction (Rhizosphere)
- Terrestrial carbon sequestration, biochar application and greenhouse gas emission
Current Teaching areas:
- 1044SCG Earth System
- 2771Soil and Geomorphology
- 3441ENV Land degradation & catchment management
- 7461ENV Environment & development
- Maryam Esfandbod, Christopher Merritt,, Mehran Rezaei Rashti, Balwant Singh,, Sue Boyd, Prashant Srivastava, Christopher Brown, Rai Kookana, CR Chen (Corresponding author) 2017 Role of oxygen-containing functional groups in forest fire-generated and pyrolytic chars for attenuation of copper and nickel. Environmental Pollution 220, 946-954
- Xian Liu, CR Chen (corresponding author), Jane M. Hughes, Weijin Wang, Tom Lewis, 2017. Temporal changes rather than long term repeated burning predominately control the shift in the abundance of soil denitrifying community in an Australian sclerophyll forest. Microbial Ecology 73, 177-187
- JB Goloran, IR Phillip, CR Chen 2017 Forms of nitrogen alter plant phosphorus uptake and pathways in vegetated highly alkaline bauxite-processing residue sand. Land Degradation and Development DOI: 10.1002/ldr.2630
- M. Esfandbod, I.R. Phillips, B. Miller, M. Rezaei Rashti, Z.M. Lan, P. Srivastava, B. Singh, C.R. Chen 2017 Aged acidic biochar increases nitrogen retention and decreases ammonia volatilization in alkaline bauxite residue sand. Ecological Engineering 98, 157-165
- Z.M. Lan, C.R. Chen (Corresponding author), M. Rezaei Rashti, H. Yang, D.K. Zhang 2017 Stoichiometric ratio of dissolved organic carbon to nitrate regulates nitrous oxide emission from the biochar-amended soils. Science of the Total Environment 576, 559-571.
- Orpheus M. Butler, Tom Lewis, CR Chen (Corresponding author) 2017 Prescribed fire alters foliar stoichiometry and nutrient resorption in the understorey of a subtropical eucalypt forest. Plant and Soil. DOI 10.1007/s11104-016-2995-x
- Hou EQ, CR Chen, Yuanwen Kuang, Yuguang Zhang, Marijke Heenan, Dazhi Wen 2016 A structural equation model of phosphorus transformation in global unfertilized and uncultivated soils. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 30, 1300-1309
- M Rezaei Rashti, W.J. Wang, S.H. Reeves, S.M. Harper, P.W. Moody, CR. Chen 2016 Linking chemical and biochemical composition of plant materials to their effects on N2O emissions from a vegetable cropped soil. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 103, 502-511
- Bushra Muqaddas, CR Chen (corresponding author), Tom Lewis, Clyde Wild 2016 Temporal dynamics of carbon and nitrogen in the surface soil and forest floor under different prescribed burning regimes. Forest Ecology and Management 382, 110-119
- Lu Yao, Guihua Liu, CR Chen, Wenzhi Liu. 2016 Within-lake variability and environmental controls of sediment denitrification and associated N2O production in a shallow eutrophic lake. Ecological Engineering 97, 251–257
- Ju-pei Shen, CR Chen (corresponding author), Tom Lewis. 2016. Long-term repeated fire disturbance alters soil bacterial diversity but not the abundance in an Australian wet sclerophyll forest. Scientific Reports 6:19639. DOI: 10.1038/srep19639
- Hanzhi Zhang, CR Chen (corresponding author), Evan M. Gray, Sue E. Boyd, Hong Yang and Dongke Zhang 2016 Roles of biochar in improving phosphorus availability in soils: A phosphate adsorbent and a source of plant-available phosphorus. Geoderma 276, 1-6
- Goloran JB, Chen CR (Corresponding author), Phillips IR, Elser JJ 2015 Shifts in leaf N:P stoichiometry during rehabilitation in highly alkaline bauxite processing residue sand. Scientific Reports DOI: 10.1038/srep14811
- JB Goloran, IR Phillips, LM Condron, CR Chen (corresponding author) 2015. Shifts in leaf nitrogen to phosphorus ratio of Lolium rigidum grown in highly alkaline bauxite-processing residue sand with differing age of rehabilitation and amendments. Ecological Indicator 57, 32-40
- CR Chen, EQ Hou, LM Condron, G Bacon, J Olley, M Esfandbod, BL Turner. 2015. Soil phosphorus fractionation and nutrient dynamics along the Cooloola chronosequence, southern Queensland, Australia. Geoderma 257–258, 4–13
- M Rezaei Rashti, W.J. Wang, P.W. Moody, CR. Chen, H. Ghadiri 2015 Fertiliser-induced nitrous oxide emissions from vegetable production in the world and the regulating factors: A review. Atmospheric Environment 225-233
- Muqaddas B, Zhou XQ, Lewis T, Wild C, Chen CR (corresponding author) 2015 Long-term frequent fire decreases surface soil carbon and nitrogen pools in a wet sclerophyll forest of southeast Australia. Science of the Total Environment 536, 39–47
- Xian Liu, CR Chen (corresponding author), Jane M. Hughes, Weijin Wang, Tom Lewis, Enqing Hou, Jupei Shen. 2015. Vertical distribution of soil denitrifying communities in a wet sclerophyll forest under long-term repeated burning. Microbial Ecology 70, 993–1003.
- Toberman H, CR Chen, Lewis T and JJ Elser 2014 high frequency fire alters C:N:P stoichiometry in forest litter. Global Change Biology 20: 2321–2331. doi: 10.1111/gcb.12432.
- Xian Liu, CR Chen, WJ Wang, JM Hughes, Lewis Tom. 2013. Soil environmental factors rather than denitrification gene abundance control N2O fluxes in a wet sclerophyll forest with different burning frequency. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 57 292-300.
- JB Goloran, CR Chen, IR Phillips, ZH Xu, LM Condron 2014 Plant phosphorus availability index in rehabilitated bauxite-processing residue sand. Plant and Soil 374, 565-578
- CR Chen, IR Phillips, LM Condron, J Goloran, ZH Xu, KY Chan 2013 Impacts of greenwaste biochar on ammonia volatilisation from bauxite processing residue sand. Plant and Soil 367, 301-312.
- Hou E, Chen C, McGroddy ME, Wen D 2012. Nutrient Limitation on Ecosystem Productivity and Processes of Mature and Old-Growth Subtropical Forests in China. PLoS ONE 7(12): e52071. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0052071
- Long Xien, CR Chen, Zhihong Xu, Ram Oren, Jizheng He. 2012. Ammonia-oxidizing Bacteria and Archaea Respond Differently to Elevated CO2 and N Addition. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 46, 163-171
- Lu Shunbao, CR Chen, Xiaoqi Zhou, Zhihong Xu, Gary Bacon, Yichao Rui, Xiaomin Guo 2012 Responses of soil dissolved organic matter to long-term plantations of three coniferous tree species. Geoderma 170, 136-143.
- Xing SH， Chen CR, Zhang H， Zhou BQ， Lang ZM and Xu ZH. 2011. Genotype and slope position control on the availability of soil soluble organic nitrogen in tea plantations. Biogeochemistry 103, 245-261.
- Ge Y, CR Chen, ZH Xu, R Oren and JZ He. 2010. The Spatial Factor, Rather than Elevated CO2, Controls the Soil Bacterial Community in a Temperate Forest Ecosystem. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 76, 7429-7436.
- Chen CR, IR Phillips, LL Wei and ZH Xu 2010 Behaviour and dynamics of di-ammonium phosphate in bauxite processing residue sand in Western Australia – I. NH3 volatilization and residual nitrogen availability. Environmental Science and Pollution Research 17, 1098-1109.
- Chen CR, Condron LM, Xu ZH 2008 Impacts of grassland afforestation on soil phosphorus dynamics and associated microbial processes: a review. Forest Ecology and Management 255, 396-409
- Campbell CD, Cameron CM, Bastias BA, Chen CR and Cairney JWC 2008. Long term repeated burning in a wet scerophyll forest reduces fungal and bacterial biomass and responses to carbon substrates. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 40, 2246-2252
- Burton J, Chen CR, Xu ZH, Ghadiri H 2007. Gross nitrogen transformations in adjacent native and plantation forests of subtropical Australia. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 39, 426-433
- Burton J, Chen CR, Xu ZH, Ghadiri H 2007. Soluble organic nitrogen pools in adjacent native and plantation forests of subtropical Australia. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 39, 2723-2734
- Chen CR, Condron LM, Xu ZH, Davis MR and Sherlock RR 2006 Root, rhizosphere and root-free soil respiration under ryegrass (Lolium perenne) and radiata pine (Pinus radiata D. Don). European Journal of Soil Science 57, 58-66
- Chen CR, Xu, ZH, Mathers NJ 2004 Soil carbon pools in adjacent natural and plantation forests of subtropical Australia. Soil Science Society of America Journal 68, 282-291
- Chen CR, Condron LM, Turner BL, Mahieu N, Davis MR, Xu ZH and Sherlock RR 2004 Soil organic phosphorus mineralization under pasture and pine determined by NaOH-EDTA extraction and solution 31P NMR spectroscopy. Australian Journal of Soil Research 42, 189-196
- Chen CR, Condron LM, Davis MR and Sherlock RR 2004 Effects of plant species on soil microbial biomass and phosphatase enzyme activity. Biology and Fertility of Soils 40, 313-322
- Chen CR, Sinaj S, Condron LM, Frossard E, Sherlock RR and Davis MR 2003. Characterization of phosphorus availability in New Zealand grassland soils. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystem 65, 89-100
- Chen CR, Condron LM, Davis MR and Sherlock RR 2003 Seasonal dynamics of soil phosphorus and associated microbial properties under adjacent grassland and forest in New Zealand. Forest Ecology and Management 177, 539-557
- Chen CR, Condron LM, Sinaj S, Davis MR and Sherlock RR 2003. Effects of plant species on phosphorus availability in a range of grassland soils. Plant and Soil 256, 115-130
- Chen CR, Condron LM, Davis MR and Sherlock RR 2002. Phosphorus dynamics in the rhizosphere of perennial ryegrass and radiata pine. Soil Biochemistry and Biology 34, 487-499
- Chen CR, Xu ZH and Hughes JM 2002 Effects of nitrogen fertilization on soil nitrogen and microbial properties in a hoop pine (Araucaria cunninghamii) plantation in southeast Queensland, Australia. Biology and Fertility of Soils 36, 276-283
- Chen CR, Condron LM, Davis MR and Sherlock RR 2000 Effects of afforestation on phosphorus dynamics and biological properties in a New Zealand grassland soil. Plant and Soil 200, 151-163
Current Supervised PhD Projects (as a principal supervisor)
- Mr Bruce Lan: N2O emission from the mined soils: chemical and molecular mechanisms.
- Mr Orpheus Butler: Stoichiometric patterns in the responses of organisms, ecosystems and landscapes to fire.
- Ms Yao Lu: Controls over the carbon and nutrient dynamics in wetland systems.
- Ms Yan Gao: Biogeochemical fluxes along terrestrial-aquatic continuum: stoichiometry as a linkage.
- Mr Xiangyu Liu: Fate of nitrogen in sugarcane fields using 15N tracing techniques.
- Mr Mohammad Bahadori: Tracing the origin and fate of sediments and nutrients damaging great barrier reef through fingerprinting techniques.