Senior Lecturer, Griffith School of Environment
Deputy Director, Centre for Environment and Population Health
B Science (Hons), PhD
- Public health response and disasters
- Health risk assessment and standards setting
- Health impact assessment
- Climate change and health
- Risk communication
- Air quality and public health
- Environmental health systems planning
Current Teaching Areas
- Research Design and Planning
- Public Health Leadership and Management
- Health Program Planning and Evaluation
- Health Determinants and Global Responses
- Lv, S, Wang, Y, Xu, D, Rutherford, S., Chong, Z, Du, Y, Jia, L Zhao, J.(2013), Drinking water contributes to excessive iodine intake among children in Hebei, China, European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, doi:10.1038/ejcn.2013.127
- Phung, D.T., Wang, Z., Rutherford, S., Huang, C., Chu, C. (2013) Body mass index and risk of pneumonia: a systematic review and meta-analysis, Obesity reviews, doi 10.1111/obr.12055
- Wei Wu,Yize Xiao, Guangchun Li, Weilin Zeng, Hualiang Lin, Shannon Rutherford, Yanjun Xu, Yuan Luo, Xiaojun Xu, Cordia Chu, Wenjun Ma(2013) Temperature–mortality relationship in four subtropical Chinese cities: A time-series study using a distributed lag non-linear model Science of The Total Environment, 449(1) p355–36.
- Huiyan Xie, Zhibin Yao, Yonghui Zhang, Yanjun Xu, Xiaojun Xu, Tao Liu, Hualiang Lin, Xiangqian Lao, Shannon Rutherford, Cordia Chu, Cunrui Huang, Scott Baum, and Wenjun Ma (2013) Short-Term Effects of the 2008 Cold Spell on Mortality in Three Subtropical Cities in Guangdong Province, China, Environmental Health Perspectives. 2013 February; 121(2)p210–216.
- Dwirahmadi,F, Rutherford, S., Ulrich,W., Chu,C Chapter 33 Linking disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation: a good practice project in Jakarta, Indonesia in Palutikof,J., Boulter, S.L, Ash,A.J., Stafford Smith, M., Parry, M., Waschka, M. and Guitart, D (ed). (2013), Climate Adaptation Futures,Wiley-Blackwell, London.
- Palutturi,S, Rutherford, S, Davey,P., & Chu, C.Comparison Between Healthy Cities and Adipura in Indonesia (2013),Malaysian Journal of Medicine and Health Sciences Vol. 9 (1),p35-43.
- Yuan Luo, Yonghui Zhang, Tao Liu, Shannon Rutherford, Yanjun Xu, Xiaojun Xu, Wei Wu,Jianpeng Xiao, Weilin Zeng, Cordia Chu, Wenjun Ma (2013) Lagged Effect of Diurnal Temperature Range on Mortality in a Subtropical Megacity of China, PLOS-ONE, Vol 8, Issue 2, e55280.
- Min Kang, Haojie Zhong, Jianfeng He, Shannon Rutherford, Fen Yang (2013) Using Google Trends for Influenza Surveillance in South China, PLOS-One, Vol 8,| Issue 1, e55205.
- Liu T, Li, TT, Zhang YH, Xu YJ, Lao XQ, Rutherford S, Chu C, Luo Y, Zhu Q, Xu XJ, Xie HY, Liu ZR, Ma WJ. (2012) The short-term effect of ambient ozone on mortality is modified by temperature in Guangzhou, China, Atmospheric Environment doi: 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2012.07.011, available online 21 July 2012.
- Phung D T, Connell, D, Miller, G, Rutherford, S. Chu,C. (2012) Pesticide regulations and farm worker safety: the need to improve pesticide regulations in Viet Nam, Bulletin of the World Health Organisation, 90:468–473.
- Shengmin L, Jun Z, Dong X, Zhengshui C, Lihui J, Yonggui D, Jing M, Rutherford, S. (2012) An epidemiological survey of children’s iodine nutrition and goitre status in regions with mildly excessive iodine in drinking water in Hebei Province, China, Public Health Nutrition, 15(7), 1168–1173.
- Guo, B., Rutherford, S., Chu, C. (2008), Negative Impact of Adverse Events on National Immunization Programs and the Appropriate Responses. Chinese Journal of Vaccines and Immunization, 14(6):549-552.
- Rutherford, S., Macintosh, K.I., Jarvinen, K.A., Chan, A., McTainsh, G. (2003), Characterisation and health impacts of the October 2002 dust event in Queensland: a preliminary investigation, paper presented at the Clean Air Society of Australia and New Zealand Conference in November 2003.
- Rutherford, S. Marshall, I., Loan, A., Tempany, G., Golding, G., Holling, N. (2003), A pilot survey of metal contamination and presence of undeclared drugs in complementary medications offered for sale in Queensland, Environmental Health, 3(4), 21-28.
- Marshall I & Rutherford S (2003) Health-based investigation levels for endosulfan in soil, in `Health and Environmental Assessment of Site Contamination?, proceedings of the Fifth National Workshop on the Assessment of Site Contamination, National Environment Protection Council Service Corporation, Adelaide.
- Green BJ, Yli-Panula, E., Dettmann, M., Rutherford, S., Simpson, R. (2003) Airborne Pinus pollen in the atmosphere of Brisbane, Australia and relationships with meteorological parameters, Aerobiologia, 19, 47-55.
- Green BJ, Dettmann, M, Rutherford, S and Simpson, RW. (2002) Airborne pollen of Brisbane, Australia: a five-year pollen record, 1994-1999. Grana, 41 (4): 242-250.
- Wardrope, C., Rutherford, S., Simpson, R.W. (2001) Air pollution and allergens in two south east Queensland Schools, Clean Air, 35(3):39-44.
- Petroeschevsky, A., Simpson, R.W., Thalib, L. and Rutherford, S. (2001) Associations between outdoor air pollution and hospital admissions in Brisbane, Australia, Archives of Environmental Health, 56 (1): 37-52.
- Rutherford, S., Simpson, R.W., Williams, G., Mitchell, C., McCall, B.(2000). Relationships between environmental factors and lung function of asthmatic subjects in South East Queensland, Australia, Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine,42(9):882-891.
- Rutherford, S., Clark, E., McTainsh, G. Simpson, R.W (1999) Characteristics of rural dust events shown to impact on asthma severity in Brisbane, Australia, International Journal of Biometeorology, 42:217-225
- Rutherford, S., Owen, J.A.K., Simpson, R.W. (1997) Survey of airspora in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, GRANA, 36:114-121.
- Simpson, R.W., Williams, G., Petroeschevsky, A., Morgan, G., Rutherford, S. (1997) The association between outdoor air pollution and daily mortality in Brisbane, Australia, Archives of Environmental Health,52(6):442-454.
- Glikson, M., Rutherford, S., Simpson, R.W., Mitchell, C.A., Yago, A. (1995), The microscopic and sub-micron components of atmospheric particulate matter occurring during high asthma periods in Brisbane, Qld. Australia, Atmospheric Environment, 29(4):549-562.
- Brown, A.L. and Rutherford, S. (1994), Using the sound of water in the city, Landscape Australia, 16(2):103-107.