BSc Economics (Delhi), MA Economics (Delhi), PhD Economics (University of Wyoming, USA)
Executive Director of Sustainable Water Future Programme
Anik Bhaduri is the Executive Director of the Sustainable Water Future Programme (Water Future) of Future Earth and Associate Professor at Australian River Institute, Griffith University. Previously, he served as th Executive Officer of Global Water System Project( GWSP). With a background in environment and natural resource economics, Anik Bhaduri has specialised in water resource management. He has worked on several topics and projects ranging from transboundary water sharing to adaptive water management under climate change. Dr Bhaduri also serves as a senior fellow at the Centre of Development Research, University of Bonn.
- Transboundary Water Management
- Water Resource Economics
- Water Energy Food Nexus
- Applications of Game theory in Conflict Negotiations
- Water Resource Pricing
- Global Water Policies
Potential PhD topics
- Which indicators for the trade-offs between different water security dimensions would be needed to enable assessment of multi-criteria policy goals?
- What are the missing links to economic theory when analysing the optimal use of water resources and direction of trade flows to frame appropriate policy advice?
- How is the linkage between water resource use and household well-being affected by asset endowments and other socio-economic attributes?
- How does the relationship between water resource dependence (income derived from natural resource) and human and societal wellbeing vary with changes in the state of water resources?
- How could investment in other forms of capital (human, social and physical) influence water resource dependence of the farmers/households, mitigate the intensification of natural resource use and also lead to higher welfare over time?
- Bhaduri, A, Bogardi, J, Siddiqi, A, Voigt, H, Vörösmarty, C, Pahl-Wostl, C, Bunn, S E, Shrivastava, P, Lawford, R, Foster, S, Renaud, F, Kremer, H, Bruns, A, Rodriguez Osuna, V 2016 'Achieving sustainable development goals from a water perspective', Frontiers in Environmental Science http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fenvs.2016.00064/full
- Iskandar, D D, Bhaduri, A, Wünscher, T 2016. 'The determinants of compliance with environmental tax: Behavioural study motivated by the case of Indonesia'. African Journal of Agriculture and Resource Economics vol.11, no.1, pp.33-46.
- Bekchanov, M, Lamers, J P A, Bhaduri, A, Lenzen, M and Tischbein, B. 2016. 'Input-output model-based water footprint indicators to support IWRM in the irrigatedi drylands of Uzbekistan, Central Asia', in Integrated Water Resources Management: Concept, Research and Implementation, pp 147-168. Springer International Publishing
- Hornidge, A-K, Oberkircher, L, Tischbein, B, Schorcht,G, Bhaduri, A, Awan, U K, Manschadi, A M, 2016. 'Reconceptualising Water Management in Khorezm, Uzbekistan-Recommendations Towards IWRM' In Integrated Water Resources Management: Concept, Research and Implementation, pp. 569-602. Springer International Publishing
- Gerber, N and Bhaduri, A 'Producers' well being and natural resource extraction in the Eaglewood trade in Papua New Guinea', Agricultural and Resource Economics Review (in press)
- Bhaduri, A and Beckchanov, M, 'Exploring benefits and scope of cooperation in transboundary water sharing in Amu Darya River Basin' In Management of Transboundary Water Resources Under Scarcity:A Multidisciplinary Approach Edited by Ariel Dinar and Yacov Tsur World Scientific Publishing | Imperial College (In press)
- Bekchanov, M, Bhaduri, A and Ringler, C, 2015 'Potential gains from water rights trading in the Aral Sea Basin', Agricultural Water Management vol 152, pp 41–56.
- E Barbier and Bhaduri, A (2015) 'Transboundary management with issue linkage' in Handbook of Natural Resource Economics (eds) Robert Halvorsen and David F. Layton, Publisher Edward Elgar
- Bhaduri, A, Ringler, C, Dombrowski, I, Mohtar, R and Scheumann, W, 2015 'Sustainability in the water energy food nexus', Water International vol 4-5 pp 723-732
- Bhaduri, A (2016) Trade and Transboundary water Sharing in Handbook of Water Security edited by Claudia Pahl -Wostl, Anik Bhaduri and Joyeeta Gupta Publisher Edward Elgar ( forthcoming)
- Maksud Beckchanov, Claudia Ringler, Bhaduri, A and Marc Jeuland (2015)“Optimizing irrigation efficiency improvements in the Aral Sea Basin” Water Resource and Economics (In press )
- Bekchanov Maksud, Claudia Ringler and Bhaduri, A(2015) “A water rights trading approach to increase inflows to the Aral Sea Basin “Land Degradation and Development , doi: 10.1002/ldr.2394.
- Maksud Bekchanov, Claudia Ringler, Anik Bhaduri, Marc Jeuland (2015)“How would the Rogun Dam affect water and energy security in Central Asia “Water International. Volume 40 issue 5-6
- Mori-Clement, Y., Bhaduri, A, & Djanibekov, N. (2014). The Role of Institutions and Water Variability in Food Security in Uzbekistan: The Case of Rice Markets in the Khorezm Region. In The Global Water System in the Anthropocene (pp. 91-104). Springer International Publishing.
- Bhaduri, A and N Djanibekov (2014) Potential Water Price Flexibility, Tenure Uncertainty and Cotton Restrictions on Adoption of Efficient Irrigation Technology in Uzbekistan In Restructuring Land and Water Use: Technologies, Policies and Practices in the Lower Amy Darya Region, Central Asia Bonn University Press.
- Mori-Clement, Y., Bhaduri, A, & Djanibekov, N. (2014). Food price fluctuations in Uzbekistan: Evidences from local markets In Restructuring Land and Water Use: Technologies, Policies and Practices in the Lower Amy Darya Region, Central Asia Bonn University Press.
- Bekchanov, M., Bhaduri, A, Lenzen, M., & Lamers, J. P. (2014). Integrating Input-Output Modeling with Multi-criteria Analysis to Assess Options for Sustainable Economic Transformation: The Case of Uzbekistan. In The Global Water System in the Anthropocene (pp. 229-245). Springer International Publishing.
- Lenzen, M., Moran, D, Bhaduri, A, Kanemoto, K., Bekchanov, M., Geschke, A., & Foran, B. (2013). International Trade of Scarce Water, Ecological Economics, volume 74 Pages 78–85
- Bhaduri, A and Julia Kloos (2013) Getting the Water Prices Right Using an Incentive-based Approach: An Application of Choice Experiment in Khorezm, Uzbekistan, European Journal of Development Research 25, 680-694.
- C Ringler, Bhaduri, A, R Lawford (2013) “The nexus across water, energy, land and food (WELF): potential for improved resource use efficiency?” Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability , Volume 5, Issue 6 Pages 617-624.
- Bhaduri, A and Manna, U. (2013), Impacts of Water Supply Uncertainty And Storage on Efficient Irrigation Technology Adoption. Natural Resource Modeling. Doi: 10.1111/Nrm.12016.
- H Yang, S Pfister, Bhaduri, A (2013) “Accounting for a scarce resource: virtual water and water footprint in the global water system” Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability. Volume 5, Issue 6 Pages 599-606.
- C Pahl-Wostl, CVörösmarty, Bhaduri, A J Bogardi, J Rockström, J Alcamo (2013) “Towards a sustainable water future: shaping the next decade of global water research” Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability Volume 5, Issue 6. Pages 708–714.
- Tischbein, B., Manschadi, A. M., Conrad, C., Hornidge, A. K., Bhaduri, A, Ul Hassan, MJ. P. A. Lamers, U. K. Awan& Vlek, P. L. G. (2013). Adapting to Water Scarcity–Constraints and Opportunities for Improving Irrigation Management in Khorezm, Uzbekistan. Water science and technology: water supply, 13(2), 337-348.
- Djanibekov, U., Djanibekov, N., Khamzina, A., Bhaduri, A., Lamers, J., & Berg, E. (2013). Impacts of innovative forestry land use on rural livelihood in a bimodal agricultural system in irrigated drylands. Land Use Policy, 35, 95-106.
- S Marx and Bhaduri, A(2013)” Understanding the Global Water System for Water Cooperation” in Free Flow, Reaching Water security through cooperation, published by UNESCO. Pg 288-290.
- B. Tischbein, A. M. Manschadi, C. Conrad, A.-K. Hornidge, Bhaduri, A M. Ul Hassan, J. P. A. Lamers, U. K. Awan and P. L. G. Vlek 2013 “Adapting to water scarcity: constraints and opportunities” for improving irrigation management in Khorezm, Uzbekistan” , Water Science and Technology, 13(2).
- Beckanov M, Bhaduri, A, M Lenzen and J Lamers(2012) The role of virtual water for sustainable economic restructuring: evidence from Uzbekistan, Central Asia. ZEF-Discussion Papers on Development Policy No. 167, Center for Development Research (ZEF), Bonn.
- Bhaduri, A and J Liebe (2012)“Cooperation in Trans boundary water sharing with issue linkage: A game-theoretical case study in the Volta Basin” Journal of Water Resource Planning and Management. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0000252.
- Bhaduri, A, U Amarasinghe and T Shah. (2012) An Analysis of Groundwater Irrigation Expansion in India. International Journal of Environment and Waste Management. Vol. 9, Nos. 3/4
- Bhaduri, A and E. B Barbier (2011) “Water Allocation between States in Inter Basin Water Transfer in India” International Journal of River Basin Management, 9(2) 117-127.
- Bhaduri, A, U. Manna , E. Barbier and J. Liebe. (2011) “Climate Change and Cooperation in Transboundary Water Sharing: An Application of Stochastic Stackelberg Differential Games in Volta River Basin” Natural Resource Modeling, 24(4): 409-444
- Katharina Hornidge A, L. Oberkircher, B. Tischbein, G. Schorcht, Bhaduri, A and A M. Manschadi (2011) “Reconceptualizing water management in Khorezm, Uzbekistan” Natural resources Forum 35: 4, pp. 251-268.
- A Sharma and Bhaduri, A (2009) “THE TIPPING POINT IN INDIAN AGRICULTURE: Understanding the Withdrawal of Indian Rural Youth” Asian Journal of Agriculture and Development. Pages 83-97. Volume 6 No. 1.
- Bhaduri, A and E Barbier (2008) “International water transfer and sharing: the case of the Ganges River”,Environment and Development Economics. 29-51 Vol 13 Issue 1.
- Bhaduri, A and E Barbier. (2008) “Politial Alturism of Water Sharing”, B.E. Journals in Economic Analysis & Policy. Vol 8 Issue 1.
- Amarasinghe Upali, Bhaduri, A, O. P Singh and Ojha A and B. K Anand. 2008. Cost and Benefits of Intermediate Water Storage Structures: Case Study of Diggies in Rajasthan, India Proceddeding of the CGIAR challenge Program on Water and Food, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia , 3, 79-82.
- Bhaduri, A, Utpal. Manna , Edward Barbier and Jens Liebe. (2009) Cooperation in transboundary water sharing under Climate Change. ZEF-Discussion Papers on Development Policy No. 132.
- Bhaduri, A, Upali Amarasinghe and Tushaar Shah (2008) “ Benefits of Irrigation Water Transfers in the National River Linking Project: A Case Study of Godavari (Polavaram)-Krishna Link in Andhra Pradesh” in Amarasinghe, U.A.; Sharma, B.R., eds. Strategic analyses of the National River Linking Project. Of India, series 2. International Water Management Institute Colombo, Sri Lanka. 173-193
- Bhaduri, A and Edward Barbier (2008) “Linking Rivers in the Ganges-Brahmaputra River Basin Exploring the Transboundary Effects” in Amarasinghe, U.A.; Sharma, B.R., eds. 2008. Strategic analyses of the National River Linking Project (NRLP) of India, series 2. International Water Management Institute Colombo, Sri Lanka. 373-395
- Bhaduri, A, Nicostrato Perez and Jens Liebe (2008) “Scope and Sustainability of Cooperation in Transboundary Water Sharing of the Volta River”, ZEF – Discussion Papers On Development Policy No. 124, Center for Development Research, Bonn, September 2008, pp. 28.
- Mathur, Om Prakash, Pratishtha Sengupta and Bhaduri, A, (2000), “Option for Closing the Revenue Gap of Municipalities-2000-01 to 2004-05”, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy, New Delhi.