Senior Research Fellow, Griffith School of Engineering
Dr Chai has active research interests in the fields of pavement planning and management, mechanistic pavement design, pavement investigation and evaluation, finite element analysis of concrete pavement, cement stabilization in pavement rehabilitation and soil mechanics of pavement foundation. He has more than 20 years of extensive experience in highway design and construction as well as in the design management of highway projects under the Design-Build-Operate and Transfer (DBOT) contractual scheme.
Current teaching areas
- Mechanistic Design of Pavements
- Pavement Management System
- Chai, G., Lewer, G., & Cancian, G., (2010). "A study of the FWD Deflection Characteristics of Composite and sandwich Pavements", 11thInternational Conference on Asphalt Pavements, Nagoya , Japan, 1-6 August 2010.
- Chai, G., & Kelly, G., (2008). "Characterization of LTPP Pavements using Falling Weight Deflectometer", 6th International Conference on Road and Airfield Pavement Technology, Sapporo, Japan, 21-23 July 2008.
- Chai, G., & Smith, W., (2006). "Development of a Predictive Model for Cement Treated Base", Journal of the Korean Society of Road Engineers, June 2006.
- Chai, G., Kamal, S., Sutton, C., Bartlett, R., (2006). "LTPP Study for Six Local Government Authorities in Southeast Queensland", Journal of the Road Engineering of Asia and Australasia (REAAA), June 2006.
- Chai, G., Manley, G & Smith, W., (2005). "The Benefits of Recycling in Road Reconstruction", 4th Asia Pacific Conference of Transportation and Environment, Xian, China, 8-11 November 2005.
- Chai, G., & Smith, W., (2005). "Development of a Predictive Model for Cement Treated Base", 5th International Conference of Road and Airfield Pavement Technologies, Seoul, Korea, 10-12 May 2005.
- Chai, G., & Kamal, S., (2005). "Preliminary Calibration of HDM-III for Six Local Councils in Southeast Queensland", 5th SMEC National PMS Conference, Hunter Valley, New South Wales, 16-18 March 2005.
- Chai, G., Ourad, A., Snaith, M., & Asnan, A., (2004). "Calibration of HDM-4 to Local Condition", 6th International Conference on Managing Pavement, Brisbane, Queensland, 19-24 October 2004.
- Chai, G., and Sutton, C., (2004). "Long Term Pavement Performance Study in Southeast Queensland", 6th Malaysian Road Conference, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 16-18 August 2004.
- Chai, G., Smith, W., and Asnan, A., (2004). "Sustainability in Road Construction through Cement Stabilization", 8th AATT 2004 Conference, Beijing, China. (26-28 May 2004).
- Mood, O., Chai, G., Kamal, S., Bartlett, R., Sutton, C., and Runge, S., (2004). "Establishing a PMS Database to determine Costs of Ownership, Optimise Funding Requirements and provide value for Money Alternatives", Whole Life Costing for Asset Management Conference, Sydney, 16-17 February 2004.
- Chai, G., Ali, F., Balasubramaniam, A.S., and Oh, E., (2004). "Prediction of the Undrained Shear Strength of Pavement Subgrade using Falling Weight Deflectometer", 9th Australian-New Zealand Geomechanics Conference, Auckland, New Zealand, 8-13 February 2004.
- Chai, G., and Asmaniza A., (2003). "Performance Evaluation of Cement Stabilised Base using FWD ", 21st ARRB and 11th Road Engineering Association of Asia and Australasia(REAAA) Conference, Cairns, Queensland, Australia. 18-23 May 2003.
- Chai, G., and Ourad, A., (2003). "Calibration of HDM Model to Local Condition - A Case Study in a Tropical Environment", 4th SMEC National PMS Conference, Caloundra City, Queensland, Australia, 26-28 March 2003.
- Chai, G., and Faisal A., (2002). "In-situ Assessment of Pavement Foundation using Falling Weight Deflectometer", Special Invited Paper of the 2nd World Engineering Congress, Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia, 22-25 July 2002.
- Chai, G., and Faisal, A., (2000). "Determination of the Elastic Modulus and Density of a Pavement Foundation using FWD During Pavement Construction", 10th REAAA Conference, Tokyo, Japan, 4-9 September 2000.
- Chai, G., and Norbayati, M., (2000). "The Performance of a Concrete Pavement at a Section of the North-South Expresswa ", Seminar on Modern Cost Effective Concrete Roads, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 18-19 April 2000.
- Chai, G., and Noryati Roslie.,(1998). "A Comparison Between The Backcalculated Subgrade Elastic Modulus From FWD's Deflection Data And Field Subgrade's Modulus Derived From DCP Testing Device ", 9th REAAA Conference, Wellington, New Zealand, May 1998
- Lee, C.W., Chai, G., and Roslie, N., (1996). "Structural Characterisation of Pavement using FWD", Proceeding of Highways Into The Next Century, Hong Kong.