CoastEd is a community and school based coastal education program that provides the opportunity for Gold Coast community groups, schools and kindergartens to learn about the coastal zone. Primary and Secondary school sessions are matched to the Australian Curriculum and accompanied with optional curriculum based worksheets tailored to the level of the participants.
What CoastEd offers
We offer free and subsidised education sessions covering a wide range of topics that relate to the Gold Coast coastal zone. Our interactive sessions and hands-on activities can be booked for 30 or 60 minutes. There are options to extend your session or add additional programs for a small cost. All sessions are facilitated by experts in the field of coastal management, marine science and environmental education.
Sessions can be undertaken at your school, a community hall, mangroves, rocky shores on a local beach or at Griffith University. Sessions can include surveys, flora and fauna identification techniques and primary data collection.
What costs are involved?
There are a limited number of complimentary sessions available for Gold Coast based schools, other schools are still able to book sessions however will be charged a minimal service fee to cover logistics and facilitation. Complimentary sessions are provided on a first come first served basis and limited to one per Gold Coast school.
For further information please email CoastEd Coordinator Maggie Muurmans or telephone on (07) 555 28823.
- Coastal Plant Pocket Guide, Gold Coast Region
- Coastal Plant Pocket Guide, Western Australia
- Coastal Plant Poster
- Rocky Shore Pocket Guide, The Gold Coast
- Our Coast Information Sheet Series
- Teacher Pack Prep - Yr12: Coastal Management and Engineering
- Teacher Pack Prep - Yr12: Coastal Ecology
- Teacher Pack Prep - Yr12: Coastal Tourism and Recreation
Our teaching team consists of a number of experienced coastal engineers and marine biologists who have experience in community engagement and environmental education. The information provided during the sessions is based on the latest coastal research conducted at the centre as well as factual and current data through our partnership with the City of Gold Coast.
- Maggie Muurmans
- Peta Leahy
- Daniel Ware
- Sally Obst
- Chantal Huijbers
- Tom Murray
- Tegan Croft
- James Gullison
News and Events
- Guided Coastal Tour (Senior Week) 19th of August 2016. More information and booking here. $5
- Coastal Walk and Talk (Burleigh Heads) 20th of August 2016. More information and booking here. Free