About Griffith Email Security
To mitigate the risk of the University becoming a target for cyber threats, Mimecast has been implemented as the Griffith Email Security System to filter email and improve protection against spam, junk email and messages containing suspicious content.
4 Key features Mimecast use to protect your email
1. Spam Digest
- Digest emails will be received at 8am, 12am and 4pm (AEDT).
- You will only receive a digest notification if you have new messages in your hold queue.
- If you have Released an email and it does not appear in your Griffith email inbox, please check your Griffith email spam folder.
- If not actioned, the email will expire from the hold queue in 30 calendar days and be deleted; Griffith email administrator will not be able to retrieve deleted emails, you will need to ask for the email to be resent.
- If you accidentally blocked an important email, contact the IT Service Centre to log a job to the Email administration team to check as there is currently no option to review blocked or permitted lists.
- Most subscription based newsletters and promotional emails will have the option to Unsubscribe. If you are unsure if the email is spam, click Release to view content. You can choose to remove yourself from the mailing list by clicking the Unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email.
|Action||Email Delivery||Future Messages|
|Release||Releases message from the hold queue and immediately delivers it to your inbox.||Messages from this sender may still be sent to the hold queue, depending on your administrator's policies and the message's content.|
|Block||Removes message from the hold queue, but doesn't deliver the message to your inbox.||Messages from this sender will be immediately blocked rejected, and will not be delivered to your inbox.|
|Permit||Releases message from the hold queue and immediately delivers it to your Inbox||Messages from this sender will bypass all spam checks, and will be delivered to your inbox provided it passes virus scanning, content, and attachment policies.|
2. Impersonation (Whaling) Protect
3. URL Protect
4. Attachment Security
Dangerous file types include:
|A - C||.a6p, .ac, .acr, .action, .adp, .air, .apk, .app, .applescript, .awk, .bas, .bat, .bin, .chm, .cmd, .com, .cpl, .crt, .csh|
|D - F||.dek, .dld, .dll .drv, .ds, .ebm, .elf, .emf, .esh, ._exe, .exe, .ezs, .fky, .frs, .fxp|
|G - I||.gadget, .gpe, .gpu, .hlp, .hms, .hta, .icd, .iim, .inf, .ins, .inx, .ipa, .ipf, .isp, .isu|
|J - L||.jar, .js, .jse, .jsx, .kix, .ksh, .lib, .lnk|
|M - O||.mcr, .mde, .mel, .mem, .mpx, .mrc, .ms, .msc, .msi, .msp, .mst, .mxe, .obs, .ocx, .out, .osx|
|P - R||.pas, .pcd, .pex, .pif, .plsc, .pm, .prc, .prg, .pvd, .pwc, .py, .pyc, .pyo, .qpx, .rbx, .reg, .rgs, .rox, .rpj|
|S - U||.scar, .scpt, .scr, .script, .sct, .seed, .sh, .shb, .shs, .spr, .sys, .thm, .tlb, .tms, .u3p, .udf, .url|
|V - Z||.vb, .vbe, .vbs, .vbscript, .vdo, .vxd, .wcm, .widget, .wmf, .workflow, .wpk, .ws, .wsc, .wsf, .wsh, .xap, .xqt, .zlq|
Attachment Blocked Notice: attachment removed
External attachment will be scanned and removed if they contain a dangerous file type. The original email will be received, however the attachment will be replaced with the following notification advising that the attachment has been removed.
Linked Attachment Download: warning to review before download