B Education (Art), B Arts (Hons), Doctor of Philosophy
Lecturer, Adult and Vocational Education
- Competency-based training
- Vocational education and training (VET)
- Adult education
- Philosophy of education
Current Teaching Areas
- Kearns, S. K., Mavin, T. J. & Hodge, S. (2016). Competency-based education in aviation. Farnham, UK: Ashgate.
- Hodge, S. (2015). Martin Heidegger: challenge to education. Dordrecht: Springer.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Hodge, S. (2015). Alienating curriculum work in Australian Vocational Education and Training, Critical Studies in Education, DOI: 10.1080/17508487.2015.1009842
- Hodge, S. & Harvey, J. (2015). Learning and development expertise: an Australian analysis. International Journal of Training and Development, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 270-286.
- Smith, E., Hodge, S., Yasukawa, K. (2015). VET teacher education in Australian universities: who are the students and what are their views about their courses? Research in Post-Compulsory Education, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 419-433.
- Gale, T. and Hodge, S. (2014). Just imaginary: delimiting social inclusion in higher education, British Journal of Sociology of Education, vol. 35(5), 688-709.
- Hodge, S. (2014). Transformative learning as an “inter-practice” phenomenon, Adult Education Quarterly, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 165 -181.
- Hodge, S. and Harris, R. (2012), ‘Discipline, governmentality and 25 years of competency-based training’, Studies in the Education of Adults, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 155-170.
- Hodge, S. (2011), ‘Learning to manage: Transformative outcomes of competency-based training’, Australian Journal of Adult Learning, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 498-517.
- Hodge, S. (2010), ‘Trainers and transformation: Facilitating the ‘dark side’ of vocational learning’, International Journal of Training Research, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 53-62.
- Harris, R. and Hodge, S. (2009), ‘A Quarter of a century of competency-based training: The vicissitudes of an idea’,International Journal of Training Research, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 122-133.
- Hodge, S. (2007), ‘The origins of competency-based training’, Australian Journal of Adult Learning, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 179-209.
- Hodge, S. (2013), ‘What makes education “vocational” in an integrated tertiary sector?’, In Structures in tertiary education and training: a kaleidoscope of merely fragments? (eds) F. Beddie, L. O’Connor and P. Curtin. Adelaide, SA: NCVER, pp. 26-35.
- Hodge, S. (2009), ‘Heidegger and mythopoetic curriculum theory’, in Spirituality, Mythopoesis and Learning, (eds) P. Willis, T. Leonard, S. Hodge and A. Morrison. Flaxton, QLD: Post Pressed, pp. 51-69.
Professional journal article
- Hodge, S. (2013). ‘A model of learning and development practice’, Training & Development, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 4-6.
- Hodge, S. (2014), Interpreting competencies in Australian vocational education and training: practices and issues. Adelaide, SA: National Centre for Vocational Education Research.
- Gale, T., Hodge, S., Parker, S., Rawolle, S., Charlton, E., Rodd, P., Skourdoumbis, A. & Molla, T. (2013), VET Providers, Associate and Bachelor Degrees, and Disadvantaged Learners. Report to the National VET Equity Advisory Council (NVEAC), Australia. Melbourne, VIC, Centre for Research in Education Futures and Innovation (CREFI), Deakin University.
- Hodge, S., Smith, E. and Barratt-Pugh, L. (2013), Modelling Learning and Development Practitioner Needs, Sydney, NSW: AITD.
- Stehlik, T., Macallum, F., Hodge, S. and Maher, K. (2009), Scoping project on Southern ICAN and FLO: A report on key issues arising from partner consultations and relevant literature and proposals for further research, CREEW, University of South Australia, Adelaide.
- Gale, T., Hodge, S., Charlton, E., Rodd, P., Parker, S., Skourdombis, A. and Rawolle, S. (2013), Impact for disadvantaged learners of TAFE institutions and other VET providers delivering bachelor and associate degree qualifications. Department of Industry, Innovation, Science, Research and Tertiary Education (DIISRTE) and the National VET Equity Advisory Council (NVEAC). ($72,687)
- Street, P., Hodge, S. and Kavanagh, K. (2013), The work of VET casuals. School of Education and Arts, University of Ballarat. ($4,000)
- Hodge, S. (2012), How do VET practitioners understand and use competency standards? National VET Research and Evaluation Research Program (NCVER). ($27, 588)
- Hodge, S., Smith, E. and Barratt-Pugh, L. (2012), Modelling AITD Member Needs. Australian Institute of Training and Development (AITD). ($22, 125)
- Hodge, S. and Grace, L. (2011), Graduate teacher as workplace learners. Faculty of Arts and Education, Deakin University. ($6,500)
- Stehlik, T., Macallum, F., Hodge, S. and Maher, K. (2009), Scoping project on Southern ICAN and FLO: A report on key issues arising from partner consultations and relevant literature and proposals for further research, Department for Education and Child Development, SA. ($10,000)
Refereed conference papers
- Hodge, S., Smith, E. and Barratt-Pugh, L. (2013), ‘The emerging profile of Australian learning and development specialists’, AVETRA 16th Annual Conference, VET Research at the Edge, Esplanade Hotel, Fremantle, 4-5 April.
- Hodge, S. (2009), ‘A research-based dilemma for Australian vocational education and training policy’, SCUTREA 39th Annual Conference, Really Useful Research, Downing College, Cambridge University, 7 – 9 July.
- Hodge, S. (2009), ‘A Foucauldian strategy in vocational education and training research’, Foucault: 25 Years On Conference, Centre for Post-Colonial and Globalisation Studies, University of South Australia, 25 June.
- Hodge, S. (2008), ‘Disorienting VET: Enhancing VET practice through transformative learning theory’, AVETRA 11th Annual Conference, VET in Context, Adelaide Holiday Inn, Adelaide, 3 – 4 April.
- Hodge, S. (2007), ‘The transformative potential of adult literacy learning’, ALA 47th Annual National Conference 2007, Adult Learning and Literacy: Policy and Practice, Cairns International Hotel, 8 – 10 November.
Recent non-refereed conference papers
- Hodge, S. (2013), ‘Challenging the ideal of curriculum alignment in Australian VET’, 22nd National Vocational Education and Training Research Conference, No Frills, Sunshine Coast TAFE, Mooloolaba, 10-12 July.
- Hodge, S. (2013), ‘Interpreting competency standards in Australian VET’, JVET Tenth International Conference, Worcester College, Oxford, 5-7 July.
- Hodge, S. and Harris, R. (2013), ‘W(h)ither adult and community education: Is ACE being trumped by VET?’ SCUTREA-CRLL International Conference, Mobilities and Transitions, Glasgow Caledonian University, Glasgow, 25-27 June.
- Hodge, S. (2013), ‘Practice plurality and the workplace learning of graduate teachers’, 8th International Conference on Researching Work and Learning, The visible and invisible in work and learning, University of Stirling, Stirling, 19-21 June.
- Hodge, S. (2013), ‘Modelling L&D practitioner work’, 40th ARTDO International Leadership and HRD Conference and AITD National Conference, Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre, Melbourne, 10-11 April.
- Hodge, S. (2013), ‘Standards and diversity, or What trainers do with competencies’, AVETRA 16th Annual Conference, VET Research at the Edge, Esplanade Hotel, Fremantle, 4-5 April.
- 2013 – Australian VET Research Association (AVETRA) Journal Article of the Year 2012
- 2011 – Australian VET Research Association (AVETRA) Journal Article of the Year 2010
- 2008 – University of South Australia Full Spectrum Scholarship