Dip Teaching, B Education, GDip Arts-Leadership, M Educational Leadership, Master of Education, Doctor Education
Senior Lecturer (Mathematics Education), School of Education and Professional Studies
Kevin’s Doctoral Thesis investigated the use of Netbooks to support student learning in the Middle Years. His research interests include:
Current teaching areas
- Mathematics Education Two
- Mathematics Education One
- Larkin, K. (2015). “An App! An App! My Kingdom for An App”: An 18-Month Quest to Determine Whether Apps Support Mathematical Knowledge Building. In T. Lowrie & R. Jorgensen (Eds.), Digital Games and Mathematics Learning: Potential, Promises and Pitfalls. (Vol. 4, pp. 251-276): Springer Netherlands.
- Larkin, K., Finger, G. & Thompson, R. (2010). Student health and welfare in networked school communities. In M. Lee and G. Finger (Eds), Developing Networked School Communities: A Guide to Realising the Vision (pp. 277-288) Camberwell, Victoria: ACER Press.
- Larkin, K. (2009). Apprentice, collaborator, colleague, competitor: Negotiating the trajectory(ies) of a doctoral student. In B. Garrick, S. Poed, and J. Skinner (Eds), Educational Planet Shapers: Researching, Hypothesising, Dreaming the Future (pp. 51-66). Brisbane. Post Pressed.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Larkin, K. (2016). Developing Pre-service Teachers’ Mathematics Pedagogical Content Knowledge (MPCK): A Drama in Three Parts. Submitted to the International Journal of Mathematics Teaching and Learning (IJMTL) May 10, 2016.
- Larkin, K., Rowan, L., Garrick, B. & Beavis, C. (2016) Student Perspectives on First Year Experience Initiatives Designed for Pre-service Teachers in their First Weeks of University Study. Journal of University Teaching & Learning Practice, 13(1), 1-14.
- Larkin, K. and Calder, N. Mathematics education and mobile technologies - Special Issue of Mathematics Education Research Journal,28(1). p 1-7 DOI 10.1007/s13394-015-0167-6
- Larkin, K. & Jamieson-Proctor, R. (2015). Using Transactional Distance Theory to redesign an Online Mathematics Education Course for Pre-Service Primary Teachers. Mathematics Teacher Education and Development (MTED). Online First.
- Larkin, K., & Jorgensen, R. (2016). ‘I Hate Maths: Why Do We Need to Do Maths?’ Using iPad Video Diaries to Investigate Attitudes and Emotions Towards Mathematics in Year 3 and Year 6 Students. International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education, 14(5), 925-944 doi: 10.1007/s10763-015-9621-x
- Larkin, K. (2014). Ipad Apps that promote mathematical knowledge? Yes, they exist! - Australian Primary Mathematics Classroom Vol 19 (2) p. 28-32
- Martyn, J., Larkin, K., Sander, T., Yuginovich, T., & Jamieson-Proctor, R. (2013). Distance and devices — Potential barriers to use of wireless handheld devices. Nurse Education Today (0).
- Kawka, Marta Dr; Larkin, Kevin M. Dr; and Danaher, Patrick Professor (2012) "Creating Flickr Photo-Narratives with First-Year Teacher Education Students: The Possibilities and Pitfalls of Designing Emergent Learning Tasks," Australian Journal of Teacher Education: Vol. 37: Iss. 11, Article 1.
- Larkin, K. Jamieson-Proctor, R. & Finger, G. (2012). TPACK and pre-service teacher Mathematics education: Defining a signature pedagogy for Mathematics education using ICT and based on the metaphor ‘Mathematics is a Language’. Computers in the Schools - Special Issue: Technology and Signature Pedagogies.
- Larkin, K. (2011). You Use! I Use! We Use! Questioning the orthodoxy of one-to-one computing in primary schools. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 44(2), 101-120.
- Larkin, K. & Finger, G. (2011). Informing one-to-one computing in primary schools: Student use of netbooks. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 27(3), 514-530.
- Larkin, K. & Finger, G. (2011). Netbook computers as an appropriate solution for one-to-one computer use in primary schools. Australian Educational Computing, 26(1), 27-34.
- Kawka, M. & Larkin, K. (2011). Wrestling and wrangling with a worrisome wiki: An account of pedagogical change in the use of a Web 2.0 technology in a first year education course. Themed edition of Studies in Learning, Education, Innovation and Development (SLEID), 8(1), 38–48.
- Kawka, M., Larkin, K. & Danaher, P. (2011) Emergent learning and interactive media artworks: Parameters of interaction for novice groups. The International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning (IRRODL), 12(7), 40-55
For a full list of publications visit publications.