B Science, B Education, M Education, Doctor of Philosophy
Senior Lecturer, School of Education and Professional Studies
- Assessment for learning purposes
- Improving intellectual quality in classrooms
- Evidence-based teaching; curriculum theory
- Griffith Grants for Learning and Teaching (2014), “Using students’ perceptions of assessment ‘texts’ to enhance their university learning experience.” GU Ref No: EDN/35/15/HREC | Chief investigator: Dr. Katie Weir | Research Team: Dr. Christopher Klopper; Mr. Nicholas Charlton
- Capturing Learning: Building staff capacity to improve the quality and excellence of the student experience during and after lectures, (2012). Griffith University Level 3, $10 000 Sammel, A., Klopper, C., & Weir, K.
Current teaching areas
- Assessment and curriculum theory
- Luke, A., Woods, A. & Weir, K. (2012) (Eds). Curriculum, syllabus design and equity: A primer and a model. New York: Routledge.
- Luke, A., Woods, A. & Weir, K. (2012). Curriculum and syllabus design. In B. McGraw, E. Baker,& P. Peterson (Eds), International Encyclopaedia of Education, 3rd Ed. Amsterdam: Elsevier.
- Weir, K. (2009). Planning and assessment: aligning what we value with how we teach. In J. Millwater & D. Beutel (Eds), Stepping Out Into the Real World of Education, pp. 109-132. French’s Forest, NSW: Pearson.
- Weir, K. (2003). A critical semiotic analysis of the Rich Tasks. In J. Vadeboncoeur & S. Rawolle (Eds), Educational imaginings: On the play of texts and contexts. (pp. 111-129). Brisbane, Qld: Australian Academic Press.
- Weir, K. (2003). Analysing the visual in curriculum texts. In L. Zipin & K. Whitehead (Eds), Proceedings of the 2003 National Biennial Conference of the Australian Curriculum Studies Association: Conversactions, Adelaide, 28-30th September. Deakin West, ACT: Australian Curriculum Studies Association.
Refereed journal articles
- Klopper, C. & Weir K. (2015). Classrooms and chat rooms: augmenting music education in initial teacher education. Australian Journal of Music Education, 1: 45-54.
- Grainger, P., Adie, L., & Weir, K. (2015). Quality assurance of assessment and moderation discourses involving sessional staff, Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, DOI: 10.1080/02602938.2015.1030333
- Grainger, P. & Weir, K. (2015). An alternative grading tool for enhancing assessment practice and quality assurance in higher education, Innovations in Education and Teaching International, DOI: 10.1080/14703297.2015.102220
- Sammel, A., Weir. K., & Klopper, C. (2014). The Pedagogical Implications of Implementing New Technologies to Enhance Student Engagement and Learning Outcomes. Creative Education, 5(2), 104-113. doi: 10.4236/ce.2014.52017.
- Al-Malki, M. A., & Weir, K. (2014). A comparative analysis between the assessment criteria used to assess graduating teachers at Rustaq College (Oman) and Griffith University (Australia) during the teaching practicum. Australian Journal of Teacher Education, 39(12).
- Weir, K. (2005). CDA and internet research. Melbourne Studies in Education, 46(2), 67-86.
- Luke, A. & Weir, K. (2006). Science teaching and cultural appropriation, Cultural Studies of Science Education, 1 (1), 195-201.
- Luke, A., Weir, K. , & Woods, A. (2008). Development of a set of principles to guide a P-12 syllabus framework. (PDF 763K) Brisbane: Queensland Studies Authority.
- Luke, A., Weir. K., Land, R. & Sanderson, D. (2007). A comparative review of systemic approaches to the assessment of capabilities. Adelaide: Department of Education and Children’s Services.
- Luke, A., Graham. L., Sanderson, D., Voncina, V., & Weir, K. (2006). Curriculum and equity: A review of research and theory. Adelaide: Department of Education and Children’s Services.
- Pendergast, D., Flanagan, R., Land, R., Bahr, M., Mitchell, J., Weir, K., et al, (2005). Developing Lifelong Learners in the Years of Schooling: A report about the practices, processes, strategies and structures that best promote ‘lifelong learning' in the middle years of schooling. Brisbane: Department of Education and the Arts.
- Luke, A., Elkins, J., Weir, K., Land, R., Carrington, V., Dole, S., et al (2003). Beyond the Middle: A Report about Literacy & Numeracy Development of Target Group Students in the Middle Years of Schooling – Vols 1 & 2. (PDF 1.8M) St. Lucia, Qld: University of Queensland.
- Weir, K. (2012) Assessing for Happiness. ISfTE 33rd Annual Seminar: Educating for Happiness, May, Paro, Bhutan.
- Weir, K. (2010) Assessing the capabilities of our millennium learners. AISSA National Curriculum Conference, August, Adelaide.
- Weir, K. (2009) Curriculum, syllabus design and equity. IAACS, Stellenbosch, September, South Africa.
- Weir, K. (2007) The discourse of reform: analysing Queensland’s New Basics curriculum. AERA, April, Chicago.
- Weir, K. (2006) Keynote: Continuing the journey with a 'rich task' curriculum. Naruan Teacher's Conference, December, Nauru.
- Weir, K. (2006) The evidence we need: monitoring and sustaining middle years reform. International Middle Schooling Conference, May, Perth.
- Weir, K. (2005) Shaking ivory towers in order to reconceptualise a Middle Years curriculum. AARE, November, Parramatta.
- Weir, K. (2005) The discourse of reform: a critical analysis of the New Basics curriculum. ACSA Curriculum Conference, September, Sunshine Coast.
- Weir, K. (2005) Middle Years Symposium, ATEA, June, Gold Coast.
- Weir, K. (2005) MYSA May, Gold Coast.
- Weir, K. (2004) CDA and internet research; lifelong learning and middle schooling. AARE, November, Melbourne.
- Weir, K. (2003) Analysing the visual in curriculum texts. ACSA Curriculum Conference. September, Adelaide.