B Education, Master of Education, Doctor of Philosophy
Currently teaching areas
Associate Professor, School of Education and Professional Studies
Research expertiseMy starting point for research was the complex, ill-defined problems encountered by design and technology students and people working in related fields such as architecture, examined from a cognitive psychological perspective. This has involved research into idea generation processes; problem based learning; technological problem solving, research methods, learning environments, and the use people make of visual mental imagery. Recent funded projects have included Learning environments in elementary technology education classrooms, a project funded by the Technical Foundation of America, and Technology, learning and working: Blind and vision-impaired people's use of technology, a project funded by the Aid for the Blind Society of Queensland. The move into technology and vision impairment represents a new direction in my research.
Currently teaching areas
- Technology Education: Managing and Teaching
- Technology Education
- Middleton, H. E. (2013) Transfer, Transitions and Transformations of Learning. Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.
- Middleton, H. E. (Ed). (2008). Researching Technology Education: Methods and Techniques. Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.
- Middleton, H. E. (2007). Technology, learning and working: Blind and vision-impaired people's use of technology. Brisbane: Griffith Institute for Educational Research.
- Middleton, H. E. (in press). Technology education and research in Australia. A coming of age in the 21st century. In A Jones, & M.J. De Vries (Eds), International Handbook on Research and Development in Technology Education. Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.
- Middleton, H. E. (2014). Exploring the tensions between education for creativity and the demands of accountability in education in Australia, in E. Sui (Ed.) Creativity Research: An Interdisciplinary and Multidisciplinary Research Handbook, Routledge.
- Middleton, H. E. (2008). Examining Design Thinking: Visual and Verbal Protocol Analysis. In H. E. Middleton (Ed). Researching Technology Education: Methods and Techniques. Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.
- Middleton, H. E. (2008). Researching technology Education. In H. E. Middleton (Ed). Researching Technology Education: Methods and Techniques. Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.
- Middleton, H. E. (2006). Changing Practice and Changing Lenses: The Evolution of Ways of Researching Technology Education. In M. J. De Vries, & I. Mottier (Eds.), International Handbook of Technology Education: The State of the Art. International Technology Education Studies. Amsterdam: SensePublishers, 53-64.
- Middleton, H. E. (2003). Developing problem-solving skills. In J.C. Stevenson (Ed.), Developing vocational expertise. (Chapter 6, pp. 135-152). Sydney: Allen and Unwin.
- Middleton, H. E. (2003). Technology education in Australia. In H. Miyakawa (Ed.), Technology education in the Pacific Rim countries. Nagoya: Japanese Society for Technology Education. 1-18.
- Middleton, H. E. (in press). Problem-Solving In Technology Education As An Approach To ESD. International Journal of Technology and Design Education.
- Middleton, H. E. (2006). Looking out and looking in. International Journal of of Design and Technology.
- Middleton, H. E. (2005). Creative thinking, values and Design and Technology Education. International Journal of Technology and Design Education, 15, 61-71.
- Middleton, H. E. (2004). Examining design thinking: a story in two parts. In Design and Education, 10, (1).
- Middleton, H. E. (2004). Problem-solving in architectural design. Australian Vocational Education Review, 11, (1), 19-34.
- Middleton, H. E. (2004). Quelques problems theoriques d'evaluation, (Assessing technology education: some theoretical issues). Education Technologique, 26, 9-12.
- Al-Ali, S., & Middleton, H. E. (2004). Technology transfer: the interaction of vocational education and industry, the College of Technological Studies, Kuwait. Australian Vocational Education Review, 11, (2), 19-28.
- Middleton, H. E. (2002). Complex problem solving in a workplace setting. International Journal of Educational Research, 37, 67-84.
- Pavlova, M. B., & Middleton, H. E. (2002). Values in Technology Education: A Two-Country Study. Learning in technology education: Challenges for the 21st Century.
- Middleton, H. E. (2004). Models of AGQTP Professional Learning That Could Be Used as a Basis for Post-Graduate Study at Universities in Queensland (Ch. 3). In J. Lindsay (Ed.). Report on the Impact of Professional Learning Programmes Funded by the Australian Government Quality Teacher Programme (AGQTP) 2003-2004. Griffith University: Centre for Leadership and Management in Education, 7-9.