- Aboriginal culture and history
- Aboriginal education and pedagogy (Queensland)
- Cross-cultural competencies
Current teaching areas
- Van Issum, H. & Tailby, B. (2014). Embedding EATSIPS in a University Pre-service teaching program- Putting a little Black in the White. Paper delivered at the World Indigenous Peoples Conference on Education. May 2014, Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Van Issum, H. & Kerwin, D. (2014). Fair go! It’s un-Australian: Treatment of Aboriginal youth in Australian Society. New Community Journal (submitted).
- Kerwin. D. & Van Issum, H. (2013). “An Aboriginal perspective on Education –Policy and Practice”. In Pedagogies to support literacy and numeracy learning for Indigenous students: Evidence based practice, Jorgensen, R., Sullivan, P, & Grootenboer, P. (Eds.)Dordrecht: Springer.
- Van Issum, H. (2012) Why we need Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Perspectives: Understanding the teaching and learning of geography and history In Place And Time: Explorations in Teaching Geography and History. Taylor, Fahey, Kriewaldt & Boon (Eds.) Pearson: Frenchs Forest.
- Kerwin, D. & Van Issum, H. (2011) Teaching Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Studies: Nunta – Benta-Look and Learn, in Teaching Social Sciences and Humanities in an Australian Curriculum. Marsh, C. & Hart, C. (Eds) Pearson: Frenchs Forest.
- Van Issum H.J. & Dillon, B. (2006). Cross-cultural Competency for Queensland Police Service, Workshop Booklet. Griffith University.
- Robertson B., Demosthenous C.M., Dillon B., Van Issum H.J. & Power C. (2005). Talking -up Vocational Education and Training for Indigenous Peoples in Australia. Paper presented at the 13th Annual International Conference on Post-compulsory Education and Training, Vocational Learning. (DEST 1 publication).
- Van Issum, H.J. & Demosthenous, C.M. (2004). Proposed Framework for Conducting Evaluation of Breakthrough Community and Family Support, Griffith University.
- 2014 - Woppaburra Traditional artefacts and stories- Elder Narratives. Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities. Value : $11,355
- 2013 - Embedding Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Perspectives for Pre-service teachers. On-line modules. Value: $50,000
- 2011 - Canon Australia Environmental Grant - Grass roots Award. Value: $5,000
- 2011 - Queensland Indigenous Education Consultative Committee. Parent and Community Engagement (PACE) Research Grant. Primary Researchers - Dr. Glenda Nalder and Dr. Chris Matthews. Value: $50,000
- 2009 - Australian Learning and Teaching Committee (ALTC) Indigenous Inclusive Curriculum Committee. Primary researchers - Prof. Keithia Wilson and Dr. Chris Matthews. $150,000
- 2006 - Department of Employment and Workplace Relations (DEWR) Indigenous Small Business Development Fund Grant. $100,000
- 2007 - National Indigenous Staff Scholarship, Department of Education Employment and Workplace Relations. Value: $31,300