SJD, M Arts, LLM, B Arts (Hons)
Before coming to Griffith University in 2011, Philip spent five years as Professor of Criminology at Keele University in the UK. Prior to that, he was Professor and Director of the Institute of Criminology at Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand, from 2003-2005. He was at the Centre of Criminology at the University of Toronto, Canada, from 1968-2002, progressing from Research Assistant to Associate Professor. In addition to his academic work during these years, Philip has served as a consultant and adviser to a wide range of government departments and commissions of inquiry in a range of countries including Canada, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Venezuela and Brazil, as well as to the Council of Europe and the United Nations.
- Public and private policing
- The prosecution process and prosecutor-government relations
- Accountability in criminal justice
- Firearms abuse and gun control
- Aboriginal policing and justice
- Gender-based violence
- Governance of inner-city "skid-row" communities
- Occupational mortality
- Domestic and international criminal law and procedure
- 2016 Governance of the Police: Experience in Six Democracies (Piscataway, NJ:Transaction Publishers - co-author (with D. Bayley)
- 2017 “Policing protest, security and freedom: the 2014 G20 experience” Police Practice and Research: An International Journal, co-authored with D. Baker & S. Bronitt - DOI: 10.1080/15614263.2017.1280674, 1280674, currently accessible online at http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15614263.2017.1280674
- 2016 “IPES conference on “Police governance and human trafficking”, Pattaya, Thailand, 8th-13th August, 2015, Official Reporter’s Report” - Police Practice and Research: An International Journal 17(5): 493-503
- 2015 “Privatisation, Pluralisation and the Globalisation of Policing” Research Focus (Australian Institute of Police Management) 3(1): 1-8 - co-authored with C. Shearing.
- 2014 “Sentencing Aboriginal Offenders: Law, Policy and Practice in Three Countries” Canadian Journal of Criminology and Criminal Justice 56(4):- co-authored with S. Jeffries
- 2014 “Introduction” Canadian Journal of Criminology and Criminal Justice 56(4) - published in English (pp. 383-386) and French (pp. 391-395) -co-authored with C. Murphy
- 2014 “The Journal - A review of its first 45 years” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Criminology 47(1): 9-24 - co-authored with M. Manning and P. Mazerolle.
- 2012 “Sexual violence against female university students in the U.K.: A case study” Rivista di Criminologia, Vittimologia e Sicurezza/Journal of Criminology,Victimology and Security 7(2): 100-119 (with T. Mitra-Kahn and C. Gunby) - accessible online at http://www.vittimologia.it/rivista/2013vol7n2_agosto.pdf (1) Under “Articles and chapters in books” (see next page)
Articles and Chapters in Books
- In press “A History of Criminology in New Zealand” - Chapter 2 in Deckert, A. and R. Sarre (eds.) Australian and New Zealand Handbook of Criminology, Crime and Justice (London/Melbourne: Palgrave Macmillan) - co-authored with J. Rodgers
- 2016 “Human Rights and Pluralization of Policing” - Ch. 37 (pp. 396-404) in Weber, L, E. Fishwick & M. Marmo (eds.) The Routledge International Handbook of Criminology and Human Rights (London/New York: Routledge) - with M. Ruteere & C. Shearing
- 2016 “The Privatization of Policing: Implications for Democracy” - Chapter 14 (pp.140-148) in Leander, A. & R. Abrahamsen (eds.) Routledge Handbook of Private Security Studies (London/New York: Routledge) - with C. Shearing
- 2014 “The Politics of Prosecution: the role of the prosecutor of the International Criminal Court” - Chapter 4 in De Lint, W., M. Marmo & N. Chazal (eds.) Criminal Justice in International Society (London/New York: Routledge), pp. 86-116.
- 2013 “Walking biographies and innovations in visual and participatory methods: Community, Politics and Resistance in Downtown East Side Vancouver” - in Heinze, C. & A. Hornung (eds.) Medialisierungsformen des (Auto-)Biographischen (Münschen: UVK Verlagsgesellschaft Konstanz), pp. 215-243 - co-authored with M. O’Neill - accessible online at http://www.uvk.de/buecher/alle/db/titel/details/medialisierungsformen-des-auto-biografischen////ch/36402e86d4d6bee5646df9913657ef4a/
- 2012 "Prosecutions, politics and the law: The way things are" - in Chirwa, D. and L. Nijzink (eds.) Accountable Government in Africa: Perspectives from Public Law and Political Studies (Cape Town: University of Cape Town Press), pp. 105-126.
- 2012 "The shifting boundaries of policing: globalization and its possibilities" - in Newburn, T. and J. Peay (eds.) Policing: Politics, Culture and Control (Oxford: Hart Publishing), pp. 265-284 - co-authored with C. Shearing.