B Arts (Hons), PhD
Associate Professor, School of Criminology and Criminal Justice
- Drug and alcohol regulation/drug and alcohol diversion programs
- Network governance
- Policing and non citizens or new citizens
- The sociology of punishment and sentencing practices
- Policy analysis/policy transfer
- Qualitative research methods
Current teaching areas
- Sociology of crime
- Punishment justice and reform
- Bull, M. (2015) ‘Community Policing and the Limits of the Bureaucratic State’, Asian Journal of Criminology, Vol 10, No. 2, pp163-177
- Costanzo, B., Bull, M. & Smith, C. (2013) ‘If these walls could speak: a visual ethnography of graffiti at Boggo Road Goal’, Queensland Review, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp.215-230.
- Thomas, N., & Bull, M., (2013) ‘Negotiating the challenges of coerced treatment: A study of community-base service providers in Australia’, Contemporary Drug Problems, Winter, Vol 40, No. 4, pp.569-594.
- Bull, M., Schindeler, E., Berkman, D., & Ransely, J. (2013) ‘A Demography and Taxonomy of Long-term Immigration Detention in Australia’, International Journal for Crime and Justice, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 98-112.
- Bull, M. (2012) ‘The acoustics of crime: new ways of ensuring young people are not seen and not heard’, Cultural Studies Review, Noise Special Edition, Vol 18, No 3, pp. 194-213.
- Bull, M., Schindler, E., Berkman, D., & Ransley, J. (2012) ‘Sickness in the system of long term immigration detention’, Journal of Refugee Issues, Vol 26, No.1, pp. 47-68.
- Bull, M. (2014) ‘Social Explanations’, in Tim Prenzler and Hennessy Hayes (eds) Introduction to Crime, 4th Edition, Pearson: Sydney.
- Bull, M. & Thomas, N. (2012) Policing and culturally and linguistically diverse communities in Australia: A national approach? Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence in Policing and Security and Australian and New Zealand Policing Advisory Agency (ANZPAA). Brisbane.
- Bull, M. & Meredyth, D (2012) Exploring the experience of security in multiethnic communities undergoing rapid change: A Flemington case study, CEPS Griffith University, Institute of Social Research, Swinburne University of Technology. pp.127
- Harvey, R. Hogg, R. & Bull, M. (2010) Building Trust. Working with Muslim Communities in Australia: A review of the community policing partnership program, Australian Human Rights Commission and Australian Multicultural Foundation, Melbourne. http://apo.org.au/research/