PhD, M Science (Investigative Psychology), B Science Honours (Combined Science)
Masters in Criminology and Criminal Justice Program Convenor, School of Criminology and Criminal Justice
Senior Lecturer, School of Criminology and Criminal Justice
Postgraduate Program Director, School of Criminology and Criminal Justice
- Interpersonal processes
- Leadership/influence tactics
- Police misconduct
- Police integrity
- Police oversight
- Police use of force
- Group offending behaviour
Current teaching areas
- Criminology Skills
- Introduction to Forensic Psychology
- Professional Ethics and Corruption
Publications (last 5 years)
- Porter, L.E., Prenzler, T. (2012). Police Integrity Management in Australia: Global Lessons For Combating Police Misconduct. Boca Raton, Florida: CRC Press-Taylor and Francis. https://www.crcpress.com/
- Porter, L.E. (In Press for September 2015). Police Professional Standards Units and External Oversight Agencies: Can there be Productive Collaboration? In T. Prenzler & G. den Heyer (Eds.) Civilian oversight of police: Advancing accountability in law enforcement. Boca Raton: CRC Press – Taylor & Francis.
- Porter, L.E. & Prenzler, T. (In Press for September 2015). Complainants: The Gap between Aspiration and Experience. In T. Prenzler & G. den Heyer (Eds.) Civilian oversight of police: Advancing accountability in law enforcement. Boca Raton: CRC Press – Taylor & Francis.
- Porter, L.E. Prenzler, T. & Hine (In Press for June 2015). Police Integrity in Australia. In M. Haberfeld & S. Kutnjak Ivkovic (Eds.), Measuring Police Integrity Across the World. Springer.
- Prenzler, T. & Porter, L.E. (In Press for August 2015). Improving Police Behaviour through Innovative Responses to Complaints. In S. Lister and M. Rowe (Eds.) Accountability of Policing. London: Routledge.
- Taylor, P.J., Snook, B., Bennell, C. & Porter, L.E. (2014). Investigative Psychology. In B. Cutler & P. Zapf (Eds.), APA Handbook of Forensic Psychology. Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association.
- Porter, L.E., (2013). Leadership and Role-Taking in Multiple Perpetrator Rape. In J. Woodhams & M. Horvath (Eds.) Multiple Perpetrator Rape: A Multidisciplinary Response to an International Problem. Oxon: Routledge. Pp160-181.
- Porter, L.E. & Prenzler, T. (2012). Corruption Prevention and Complaint Management. In T. Prenzler (Ed.) Policing and Security in Practice: Solutions and Achievements. Basingstoke: Palgrave-Macmillan.
- Porter, L.E. (2010). Robbery. In J. Brown & L. Campbell (Eds.) The Cambridge Handbook of Forensic Psychology. Cambridge University Press.
- Gerard, F.J., Porter, L.E. & Brown, K. (In Press, accepted 17th Jan 2015). Offender and offence characteristics of school shooting incidents. Journal of Investigative Psychology and Offender Profiling.
- McCarthy, J. & Porter, L.E. (2015). Prescription fraud: A comparison of pharmacists' and laypersons' perceptions of suspicious prescription presentation behaviour. International Journal of Law, Crime and Justice, 43(1), 50-67.
- Porter, L.E. & Graycar, A. (advance online 2013). Hotspots of Corruption: Applying a Problem-Oriented Approach to Preventing Corruption in the Public Sector. Security Journal. http://www.palgrave-journals.com/sj/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/sj201338a.html
- Vogel, L., Porter, L.E. & Kebbell, M. (2014). The Role of Women in Political & Revolutionary Conflict. Studies in Conflict & Terrorism, 37(1), 91-114
- Cawthray, T., Prenzler, T. & Porter, L.E. (2013). Updating International Law Enforcement Ethics: International Codes of Conduct. Criminal Justice Ethics, 32(3), 187-209.
- Porter, L.E. (2013). Indigenous deaths associated with police contact in Australia: Event stages and lessons for prevention. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Criminology, 46(2) 178–199.
- Porter, L.E. (2013). Beyond ‘oversight’: A problem-oriented approach to police reform. Police Practice and Research. An International Journal. Special Issue: Police Oversight, 14(2): 169-181.
- Prenzler, T., Mihinjac, M. & Porter, L.E. (2013). Reconciling stakeholder interests in police complaints and discipline systems.Police Practice and Research. An International Journal. Special Issue: Police Oversight, 14(2): 155-168.
- Prenzler, T., Porter, L.E. & Alpert, G.P. (2013). Reducing Police Use of Force: Case Studies and Prospects. Aggression and Violent Behavior, 18(2), 343-356.
- Porter, L.E. & Prenzler, T. (2012). The Role of Research in Complaint Reduction. California Journal of Law Enforcement, 46(3): 7-12.
- Porter, L.E. & Prenzler, T. (2012). Police Oversight in the United Kingdom: The Balance of Independence and Collaboration. International Journal of Law Crime and justice, 40(3): 152-171.
- Caddick, A. & Porter, L.E. (2012). Exploring a model of Professionalism in multiple perpetrator violent Gun Crime in the UK. Criminology & Criminal Justice, 12(1): 61-82.
- Porter, L.E., Prenzler, T. & Fleming, J. (2012). Complaint reduction in the Tasmania Police. Policing & Society, 22(4): 426-447.
- Kebbell, K. & Porter, L.E. (2012). An Intelligence Assessment Framework for Identifying Individuals at Risk of Committing Acts of Violent Extremism Against the West. Security Journal, 25(3):212 – 228.
- Martin, K., Kebbell, M., Porter, L. and Townsley, M. (2011). The Paradox of Intuitive Analysis and the Implications for Professionalism. The Australian Institute of Professional Intelligence Officers, 19(1): 28-44.
- Porter, L. E., & Kebbell, M. R. (2010). Radicalization in Australia: Examining Australia's Convicted Terrorists. Psychiatry, Psychology and Law, 18(2): 212-231.
- Porter, L.E., Webb, S, Prenzler, T. & Gill, M. (2015). The Role of Leadership in Promoting Ethical Police Behaviour. Coventry: College of Policing. http://whatworks.college.police.uk/Research/Documents/150317_Ethical_leadership_FINAL_REPORT.pdf
- Alpert, G., Rojek, J. & Porter, L.E. (2012). Measuring the impact of organizational culture and climate on police officers’ decisions and behaviour. CEPS Working Paper, 1.