B Arts (Hons), M Sc, PhD
Senior Lecturer, School of Criminology and Criminal Justice
- The body and social control
- Gender and crime
- Prisons and penality
- Illegal drug use in social context
- Comparative criminology and criminal justice
- Qualitative research on crime and justice
- International and Comparative Criminology and Criminal Justice
- Qualitative Social Research
- Understanding Social Problems
- Smith, C. and Rynne, J. (2015). ‘Corrections’ in H.Hayes and T.Prenzler (eds.). Crime and Criminology 4th Edition. Frenchs Forest: Pearson Education Australia.
- Smith, C. (2014). ‘Injecting drug use and the performance of rural femininity: An Ethnographic Study of Female Injecting Drug Users in Rural North Wales’. Critical Criminology 22, 511-525.
- Mann, M., Menih, H. and Smith, C. (2014) ‘There’s “hope for you yet”: The female drug offender in sentencing discourse’. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Criminology 47(3), 355 - 373.
- Coztanzo, B., Bull, M. and Smith, C. (2013). ‘If these walls could speak: A visual ethnography of graffiti at Boggo Road gaol. Queensland Review 20(2), 215-30.
- Smith, C. (2012). ‘Corrections’ in H.Hayes and T.Prenzler (eds.). Crime and Criminology 3rd Edition. Frenchs Forest: Pearson Education Australia.
- Smith, C. (2010). 'Maternal drug use and the deconstruction of family life' in D.C.Ford (ed.) Fragmenting Families. Chester: Chester Academic Press.
- Smith, C. (2009). 'A period in custody: Menstruation and the imprisoned body', Internet Journal of Criminology.
- Smith, C. and Wincup, E. (2009). 'Gender and Crime' in C.Hale, K.Hayward, A.Wahidin and E.Wincup (eds.) Criminology 2nd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press
- Smith, C. (2005). 'Gender and Crime' in C.Hale, K.Hayward, A.Wahidin and E.Wincup (eds.) Criminology. Oxford: Oxford University Press
- Cottee, S., Smith, C. and Wincup, E. (eds.) (2005). Selected papers from the 2003 British Criminology Conference, Bangor. British Society of Criminology [online]
- Smith, C. and Wincup, E. (2003). 'Reflections on 'Doing' Feminist Research in Criminal Justice Institutions for Women' in T.Welland and N.Pugsley (eds.) Ethical Dilemmas in Qualitative Research. Aldershot: Ashgate
- Smith, C. (2002). 'Punishment and Pleasure: Women, Food and the Imprisoned Body', Sociological Review, 50(2), 198-214
- Smith, C. (2000). 'Healthy Prisons: A Contradiction in Terms?' The Howard Journal, 39(4), 339-53
- Smith, C. and Wincup, E. (2000). 'Breaking In: Researching Criminal Justice Institutions for Women' in R.D.King and E.Wincup (eds.) Doing Research on Crime and Justice. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Smith, C. and Borland, J. (1999). 'Minor Psychiatric Disturbance in Women Serving a Prison Sentence', Legal and Criminological Psychology, 4, 273-84