PhD, M Administration (Politics and Public Policy), Grad Dip Legal Practice, LLB, BA, Professor, School of Criminology and Criminal Justice, and Griffith Criminology Institute
Professor Janet Ransley researches on policing, regulatory approaches to crime reduction, crime and justice policy, and integrity in criminal justice, legal and political systems and practices.
Recent and current projects include evaluating organizational models and performance in criminal justice agencies, the role of police in promoting community resilience, strengthening Australia’s national integrity system, legal and policy responses to workplace and domestic violence, and non-criminal justice detention.
Current teaching areas
- Crime and justice policy
- Forensic mental health legislation
- Lewis C, Ransley J & Homel R, (eds) (2010), The Fitzgerald Legacy: reforming public life in Australia and beyond, Australian Academic Press, Brisbane.
- Mazerolle L & Ransley J, (2006), Third Party Policing, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Ransley, J (in press) ‘Policing through third parties: increasing coercion or improving legitimacy?’ in M.Deflem (ed) The Politics of Policing: between force and legitimacy, Emerald.
- Marchetti E & Ransley J, (2015) ‘Intersectionality and Indigenous sentencing courts: Judgement: R v Morgan’ in H. Douglas, F.Bartlett, T. Luker & R.Hunter (eds) Australian Feminist Judgements: Righting and Rewriting the Law, Hart Publishing, Oxford (pp345-359).
- Ransley, J (2014) ‘Legal Frameworks for Third Party Policing’, in G Bruinsma & D Weisburd (eds) Encyclopedia of Criminology and Criminal Justice , New York: Springer (pp2906-2914).
- Ransley J (2014) ‘Inquiries into Political Wrongdoing’, in S. Prasser & H. Tracey (eds) Royal commissions and public inquiries: Practice and Potential, Connor Court Press, (pp55-76).
- Ransley J, Dioso-Villa & Goldsmith A (2012), ‘Failures of Justice’ in Marmo M, De Lint W (eds) Crime and Justice in the 21st Century, 4th edn, LBC, Sydney.
- Ransley J, (2011), ‘From Evidence to Policy and Practice in Youth Justice’ in Stewart A, Allard T & Dennison S (eds) Evidence Based Policy and Practice in Youth Justice, Federation Press, Sydney.
- Ransley J, (2010), ‘A model corruption inquiry?’ in Lewis C, Ransley J & Homel R, (eds), The Fitzgerald Legacy: reforming public life in Australia and beyond, Australian Academic Press, Brisbane.
- Ransley J, (2010), ‘EARC: short term experiment in permanent reform?’ in Lewis C, Ransley J & Homel R, (eds), The Fitzgerald Legacy: reforming public life in Australia and beyond, Australian Academic Press, Brisbane.
- Lewis C, Ransley J & Homel R, (2010) ‘Introduction’ in Lewis C, Ransley J & Homel R, (eds), The Fitzgerald Legacy: reforming public life in Australia and beyond, Australian Academic Press, Brisbane.
Refereed journal articles
- Crissman B, Smith K, Ransley J and Allard T, ‘Women’s health in Queensland prisons: An analysis of stakeholder perspectives’, International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology, 0306624X15598960, first published on August 5, 2015
- Schindeler, E. & Ransley, J. (2015) Nomalising and Neutralising Offending - The Influence of Health and Safety Regulation. Current Issues in Criminal Justice, 26(3), 305-319.
- Marchetti E and Ransley J, (2014) ‘Reversing the Critical Lens: the role of legal players in Indigenous Sentencing Courts’, UNSW Law Journal 37(1) 1-33
- Manning M, Ransley J, Smith C & Mazerolle L (2013) ’Policing Methamphetamine Problems: A Framework for Synthesising Expert Opinion and Evaluating Alternative Policy Options’ Journal of Public Policy, 33(3), 371-396.
- Fleming, S, Prenzler, T & Ransley, J (2013) ‘The status of Indigenous Women in Policing: a Queensland Case Study’, Current Issues in Criminal Justice, 24(3).
- Bull, M., Schindeler, E., Berkman, D., & Ransley, J. (2013) ‘A Demography and Taxonomy of Long-term Immigration Detention in Australia’, International Journal for Crime and Justice, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 98-112.
- Bull, M, Ransley J, Schindeler E & Berkman D, (2013) ‘Sickness in the system of long term detention of asylum seekers’ Journal of Refugee Studies, Vol 26, No.1.
- Mazerolle, L & Ransley, J (2012) ‘Crime, place and pollution’, Criminology and Public Policy, vol 11(2).
- Mazerolle, L, Ransley J, White, G & Ferguson P (2012) ‘Violence in and around entertainment districts: a longitudinal analysis of the impact of late-night lock out legislation’, Law and Policy, 34(1), 55-79.
- Ransley J & Mazerolle L (2009) 'Policing in an Era of Uncertainty' Police Practice and Research, vol 10(4).
- Schindeler E & Ransley J (in press) ‘Prosecuting Workplace Violence in Australia’ Australian Institute of Criminology.
- Ransley J, Mazerolle L, Manning M, McGuffog I, Drew J, Webster J (2012) Reducing the Methamphetamine Problem in Australia: Evaluating Innovative Partnerships between Police, Pharmacies and Other Third Parties, NDLERF, Canberra.