B Arts (UQ), LLB (Hon) (UQ)
- Family law and family law systems, particularly in relation to family violence and gender related issues
- Impact of the 2006 reforms to family law, in particular in relation to shared parenting, family violence and parental conflict
- Indigenous children and the family law and child protection systems
- Women and the criminal justice system
Current teaching areas
- Director of Clinical legal education program
- Family Law
- Legal Professional Practice
- Civil Procedure
- Semester in Practice
- Advanced Family Law Clinic
- General Legal Clinic
- Public Interest Lawyering
- Family Law Principles, Thomson Reuters, 2011 (with A. Harland, D. Cooper and R. Alexander).
- 'Shifting Language and Meanings Between Social Science and the Law: Defining Family Violence', (2013) 36(2) University of New South Wales Law Journal University of New South Wales, Australia, 359-389.
- 'A call for clarity in the use of social science research in family lay decision-making', (2012) 26 Australian Journal of Family Law, 81-115.
- '"Of Hoods" and "Ships" and Citizens: The Contradictions Confronting Mothers in the New Post-Separation Family' (2010) 19(3) Griffith Law Review, 472-503.
- 'Social Science or "Lego-Science"? Presumptions, Politics, Parenting and the New Family Law', (2010) 10(2) Queensland University of Technology Law and Justice Journal, 164-190.
- 'The Place of Culture in Family Law Proceedings: Moving beyond the dominant paradigm of the nuclear family' (2010) 7(20) Indigenous Law Bulletin, 8-12 (with K. Ruska).
- 'Getting "Women" on Butcher’s Paper at the Australia 2020 Summit: "Social Inclusion" and Women’s Place in the 21st Century' (2008) 28 Australian Feminist Law Journal, 175.
- 'How Judicial Officers are Applying new Part VII of the Family Law Act: A Guide to Application and Interpretation', (2008) 20(2) Australian Family Lawyer, 5.
- 'Shifting the gaze: Will past violence be silenced by a further shift of the gaze to the future under the new family law system?' (2007) 21 Australian Journal of Family Law, 87.
- 'Review of Exposure Draft of the Family Law Amendment (Shared Parental Responsibility) Bill 200' (2005) 19 Australian Journal of Family Law, (with 11 other authors).
- 'Women in the Legal Profession: A somewhat personal, somewhat Queensland perspective' (2005) Proctor, Queensland Law Society.
- 'Chapter on domestic violence' in Caxton Legal Centre's Legal Resources Book, 1994 (updated in 2002).
- An Unacceptable Risk: A Report on Child Contact Arrangements Where There is Violence in the Family, 2000 (with K. Rendell and A. Lynch).
- Report of the Taskforce on Women and the Criminal Code, 1999, (with V. Sturgess).
- Rougher Than Usual Handling: Women and the Criminal Justice System, 1993.
- 2011– current - Member of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait islander Inclusive Curriculum Development and Implementation Working Party
- 2005 – 2011 - Member of the Griffith Work Integrated Learning Network
- 2007 – 2010 - Management committee member of Immigrant Women’s Support Service
- 2001 – 2007 - Board member of Legal Aid Queensland
Awards and Honours
- 2011 - Member (AM) in the General Division of the Order of Australia: For service to the law, particularly through contributions to the rights of women, children and the Indigenous community, to education and to professional organisations.
- 2010 - Australian Learning and Teaching Council Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning as Member of Griffith Work-Integrated Learning Network
- 2009 - Travis Lindenmayer Award for services to family law
- 2003 - Centenary Medal: for distinguished service to the law and women’s issues in Queensland
- 2001 - Inaugural Queensland Woman Lawyer of the Year Award presented by the Women Lawyers' Association Queensland
- 1990 - Australian Young Lawyer of the Year presented by the Young Lawyers' Section of the Law Council of Australia