- Deputy Head of Research
Mary Keyes is a Professor at Griffith Law School and is admitted to practice as a Barrister of the Supreme Court of Queensland and of the High Court of Australia. Her research expertise is in private international law, particularly in the area of jurisdiction. She is widely published in private international law, and is co-author of a leading Australian textbook, Private International Law in Australia (3rd ed, 2015, with Professor Reid Mortensen and Professor Richard Garnett). She is currently working on a book on party choice in private international law. Professor Keyes is the Review Articles editor and a member of the editorial board of the Journal of Private International Law.
Professor Keyes teaches international litigation, conflict of laws, international commercial arbitration and contract law, and has a particular expertise in mooting in legal education.
- Private international law, particularly jurisdiction, choice-of-law for tort and theory
Current teaching areas
- Private international law
- International Commercial Arbitration
- Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot team
- Jurisdiction in International Litigation Federation Press, 2005, xxv + 305 pp.
- Policy and Pragmatism in the Conflict of Laws Ashgate Publishing, 2001, xviii + 228 pp (with M. Whincop).
- Private International Law in Australia, Third edition, LexisNexis Butterworths, 2015 (with R. Mortensen and R. Garnett).
- Codifying Contract Law: International and Consumer Law Perspectives, Ashgate, 2014 (edited with T. Wilson).
- Australian Private International Law in the 21st Century: Facing Outwards, Hart Publishing, 2014 (edited with A. Dickinson and T. John).
- Private International Law in Australia, Second edition, LexisNexis Butterworths, 2011 (with R. Mortensen and R. Garnett).
- Halsbury’s Laws of Australia, ‘Conflict of Laws’, LexisNexis Butterworths, 2006.
- Changing Law: Rights, Regulation and Reconciliation, Ashgate Publishing, 2005 (co-edited with R. Hunter).
Chapters in Books
- ‘Improving Australian Private International Law’ in A Dickinson, M Keyes and T John (eds), Australian Private International Law in the 21st Century: Facing Outwards, Hart, Oxford, 2014), ch 2, pp 15-45.
- ‘Codifying Contract Law: Internationalization Imperatives and Regional Perspectives’ with T Wilson, in T Wilson and M Keyes (eds), Codifying Contract Law: International and Consumer Law Perspectives, Ashgate, Aldershot, 2014, ch 1, pp 3-13 (with T Wilson).
- ‘Internationalizing Contract Law’ in T Wilson and M Keyes (eds), Codifying Contract Law: International and Consumer Law Perspectives, Ashgate, Aldershot, 2014, ch 2, pp 15-36.
- 'National Approaches to Surrogacy: Australia', in K Trimmings and P Beaumont (eds), International Surrogacy Arrangements: Legal Regulation at the International Level, Hart Publishing, 2013, Ch. 2, pp 25-47.
- 'The Suppression of State Interests in International Jurisdiction' in S McVeigh (ed) The Jurisprudence of Jurisdiction, Routledge Cavendish, 2007.
- 'Jurisdiction agreements: exclusive, optional and asymmetrical' (2015) 11(3) Journal of Private International Law 345-378 (with Brooke Adele Marshall).
- ‘The Formal Recognition of Sex Identity’ (2014) 28 Australian Journal of Family Law 266-289.
- 'Commercial surrogacy - some troubling family law issues' (2013) 27 Australian Journal of Family Law, 105-134.
- 'Cross-border surrogacy agreements' (2012) 26 Australian Journal of Family Law, 28-50.
- 'Financial agreements in international family litigation' (2011) 25 Australian Journal of Family Law, 167-184.
- 'International civil legal co-operation' (2011) 37 Commonwealth Law Bulletin (with Robert McClelland, the Australian Attorney-General), 661-669.
- 'Substance and Procedure in Multistate Torts' (2010) 18(3) Torts Law Journal, 201-227.
- 'Jurisdiction Under the Hague Choice of Courts Convention: Its Likely Impact on Australian Practice' (2009) 5 Journal of Private International Law, 181-211.
- 'Statutes, Choice of Law and the Role of Forum Choice' (2008) 4 Journal of Private International Law, 1-33
- 'Group Learning in Law' (2008) 17 Griffith Law Review, 357-382 (with K. Burns).
- 'Order, Illumination and Influence: Dicey, Morris & Collins on the Conflict of Laws' (2007) 3 Journal of Private International Law, 355-371 (review article).
- 'Foreign Law in Australian Courts: Neilson v Overseas Projects Corporation of Victoria Ltd' (2007) 15 Torts Law Journal, 9-33.
- 'The Doctrine of Renvoi in International Torts: Mercantile Mutual Insurance v Neilson' (2005) 13 Torts Law Journal, 1-16.
- 'Changing Legal Education: Rhetoric, Reality and Prospects for the Future' (2004) 26 Sydney Law Review, 537-564 (with R. Johnstone).
- 'Jurisdiction in International Family Litigation: A Critical Analysis' (2004) 27 University of New South Wales Law Journal, 42-65.
- 'Contracts and the Family: Whither Intention?' (2002) 26 Melbourne University Law Review, 577-595 (with K. Burns).
- 'Towards an Economic Theory of Private International Law' (2000) 25 Australian Journal of Legal Philosophy, 1-35 (with M. Whincop).
- 'The Market Tort in Private International Law' (1999) 19 Northwestern Journal of International Law and Business, 215-271 (with M. Whincop).
- 'The Nexus of Forums: A Contractual Theory of Jurisdiction over Corporations' (1998) 21 University of New South Wales Law Journal, 681-710 (with M. Whincop).
- 'The Law and Economics of Choice of Law and Jurisdiction: The Cases of 'Discrete' and 'Relational' Torts' (1998) 22 Melbourne University Law Review, 370-395 (with M. Whincop).
- 'Statutes’ Domains in Private International Law: An Economic Theory of the Limits of Mandatory Rules'(1998) 20 Sydney Law Review, 435-456 (with M. Whincop).
- 'Putting the 'Private' Back into Private International Law: Default Rules and the Proper Law of the Contract' (1997) 21 Melbourne University Law Review, 515-543 (with M. Whincop).
- 'The Moot Reconceived: Some Theory and Evidence on Legal Skills'(1997) 8 Legal Education Review, 1-41 (with M. Whincop).
- 'Corporation, Contract, Community: An Analysis of Governance in the Privatisation of Public Enterprise and the Publicisation of Private Corporate Law' (1997) 25 Federal Law Review, 51-96 (with M. Whincop).
- 'Giving Theory “A Life”: First Year Student Conceptions of Legal Theory' (1996) 7 Legal Education Review, 31-65 (with G. Orr).
- Law Faculty Learning and Teaching Citation 2007.
- Griffith University Award for Excellence in Teaching, Beginning Teacher Award 1999.