B Economics (Monash), LLB (Monash), LLM (Monash), PhD
- Director of Professionalism
- Alternative Dispute Resolution - including an ARC Linkage Project on Resolving Franchising Conflict
- Access to Justice and Legal Services - including an ARC Discovery Project on Self-Help Legal Services
- Legal Issues Impacting on Older People
- Supervision processes in legal education and legal practice (Awarded National Teaching Fellowship from the Office for Learning and Teaching)
Current teaching areas
- Jeff received the Australian Award for University Teaching in Law & Legal Studies in 1999. He also received the Griffith Award for Excellence in Teaching in the same year.
- Foundations of Law
- Legal Research
- Alternative Dispute Resolution - Clinic
- Refugee Law and Policy Clinic
Convenor of the Graduate Program in Dispute Resolution - this involves the following courses:
- Principles of Dispute Resolution
- Mediation Processes and Practices
- Negotiating Legal and Commercial Disputes
- Workplace Conflict Resolution
- Principles and Practices of Facilitation
- Justice Mediation
- Promoting Justice Through Clinical Legal Education, Justice Press, 2013.
- Legal Aid in Victoria: At the Crossroads Once Again, Fitzroy Legal Service Press, 1998,(wrote 4 and co-wrote a further 3 of the 11 chapters).
- Clinical Legal Education at Griffith University: A Supervisor’s Manual, 1996, (with H. Douglas).
- Clinical Legal Education at Griffith University: A Student’s Manual, 1996, (with H. Douglas).
- 'Bridging different interests: The contributions of clinics to legal education' (2011) in F. S. Boch (ed) The Global Clinical Movement, New York: Oxford University Press, pp. 297-309.
- 'The first wave of modern clinical legal education: The United States, Britain, Canada and Australia' (2011) in F. S. Bloch (ed) The Global Clinical Movement, New York: Oxford University Press, pp. 3-22.
- 'Franchising Conflict: Towards Greater Understanding and Effective Resolution', in P. Prasad (ed), Agency and Franchise: Conceptual Contours, Amicus Books, Icfai University Press, Hyderabad, 2009, (with L. Frazer, S. Weaven & A. Grace).
- 'Two-Way Traffic – The Scope for Clinics in Facilitating Law School Engagement With Communities', in P. Keyzer, A. Kenworthy & G. Wilson (eds), Community Engagement in Contemporary Legal Education: Pro Bono, Halstead Press, 2009.
- 'Australian Innovations in Legal Aid Services: Lessons From an Evaluation Study', in A. Buck, P. Pleasence & N. Balmer (eds), Reaching Further: Innovation, Access and Quality in Legal Services, The Stationary Office, 2009, (with R. Hunter & C. Banks).
- '"Maybe a Solicitor Needs to Know That Sort of Thing but I Don't" User Perspectives on the Utility of Legal Self-Help Resources', in A. Buck, P. Pleasence & N. Balmer (eds),Reaching Further: Innovation, Access and Quality in Legal Services, The Stationary Office, 2009 (with M. Lawler & M. Robertson).
- 'A 2020 Vision of Australian Clinical Legal Education', in B. Naylor & R. Hyams (eds) Innovation in Clinical Legal Education: Educating Lawyers for the Future, Legal Service Bulletin Cooperative, 2007.
- 'Technology is the Answer…But What Was the Question? Experiments in the Delivery of Legal Services to Regional, Rural and Remote Clients', in P. Pleasence et al, Transforming Lives: Law and Social Process, The Stationary Office, 2007, (with R. Hunter & C. Banks).
- 'Large Scale Map or the A-Z? The Place of Self Help Services in Legal Aid', in R. Moorhead & P. Pleasence (eds), After Universalism: Re-engineering Access to Justice, Blackwell Publishing, 2003, (with M. Robertson).
- 'Interviewing', in Caxton Legal Centre, Lawyers Practice Manual (Queensland), LBC Information Services, 2002.
- 'The Role of a Solicitor at a Police Station', in Caxton Legal Centre, Lawyers Practice Manual (Queensland), LBC Information Services, 2001.
- 'Stirring the Possum: Legal Aid and the Consumer Interest', in S. Smith (ed), In the Consumer Interest: A Selected History of Consumer Affairs in Australia 1945-2000, Society of Consumer Affairs Professionals in Business, 2000.
- 'Arrest, Interrogation and Bail', in Caxton Legal Centre, The Queensland Law Handbook, 6th edition, Caxton Legal Centre, 2000.
- 'Legal Aid: at the Crossroads Again', in J Giddings (ed), Legal Aid in Victoria: At the Crossroads Again, Fitzroy Legal Service, 1998.
- 'A History of Legal Aid in Victoria', in J Giddings (ed), Legal Aid in Victoria: At the Crossroads Again, Fitzroy Legal Service, 1998, (with C. Field).
- 'Recent Developments in Legal Aid in Victoria', in J Giddings (ed), Legal Aid in Victoria: At the Crossroads Again, Fitzroy Legal Service, 1998, (with M. Noone).
- 'Getting Your Lawyer on Hire Purchase', in J Giddings (ed), Legal Aid in Victoria: At the Crossroads Again, Fitzroy Legal Service, 1998, (with C. Field).
- 'Processual Antecedents of Perceived Channel Conflict in Franchising' (2014) 15(2) Journal of Business Economics and Management, 316-334 (with S. Weaven, D. Grace and L. Frazer).
- 'Self-Advocates in Civil Legal Disputes: How Personal and Other Factors Influence the Handling of Their Cases', (2014) 31(1) Melbourne University Law Review (with M. Robertson).
- 'Examining the Role of Franchisee Normative Expectations in Relationship Evaluation', (2013) 89(2) Journal of Retailing (with L. Frazer, S. Weaven and D. Grace).
- 'Opportunities and Limitations in the Provisions of Self-help Legal Resources to Citizens in Need', in (2012) 30(1) Windsor Yearbook of Access to Justice (M. Lawler and M. Robertson).
- 'Taking care of business: Are franchise systems structured to promote conflict?', (2011) 22(1) Australian Dispute Resolution Journal, 41-48 (with S. Weaven, D. Grace and L. Frazer).
- 'Why No Clinic is an Island: The Merits and Challenges of Integrating Clinical Insights Across the Law Curriculum' (2010) 34 Washington University of Journal of Law and Policy, 261-289.
- 'New Perspectives on the Causes of Franchising Conflict in Australia', (2010) 22(2), Asia-Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics 135 (with S. Weaven & L. Frazer).
- 'Understanding the Dynamics of Conflict Within Business Franchise Systems', (2009) 20, Australasian Dispute Resolution Journal, 24-32, (with L. Frazer, S. Weaven & A. Grace)
- 'Contemplating the Future of Clinical Legal Education', (2008) 17(1), Griffith Law Review 1.
- 'Strategy, Choice and the Skilled Legal Negotiator', (2005) 31(2), Monash University Law Review, 258-272, (with L. Crump).
- 'Australian Community Legal Centres Move Into the 21st Century', (2004) 11(3), International Journal of the Legal Profession, 257, (with M. Noone).
- 'Evaluating Environmental Dispute Resolution', (2003) 14 Australasian Dispute Resolution Journal, 145, (with J. McKillop, R. Neumann & N. Sipe).
- 'Clinical Legal Education in Australia: A Historical Perspective', (2003) 3(1) International Journal of Clinical Legal Education, 7-28.
- 'Large Scale Map or the A-Z? The Place of Self Help Services in Legal Aid', (2003) 30(1) British Journal of Law and Society, 102-119, (with M. Robertson).
- '"Lay people, for God’s sake! Surely I should be dealing with lawyers?" Towards an assessment of self-help legal services in Australia', (2002) 11(2) Griffith Law Review, 436, (with M. Robertson).
- 'The Tyranny of Distance: Clinical Legal Education in "The Bush"', (2002) 2 International Journal of Clinical Legal Education, 64, (with B. Hook).
- 'Teaching the Law as it Relates to Older People', (2002) 27(2) Alternative Law Journal, 78, (with J. Thomas).
- '"Informed litigants with nowhere to go": Self-help legal aid services in Australia', (2001) 26(4) Alternative Law Journal, 184, (with M. Robertson).
- 'Teaching the Ethics of Criminal Law and Practice', (2001) 35(2) Law Teacher, 161.
- 'Legal Services in Rural Communities: Issues for Clients and Lawyers', (2001) 26 (2), Alternative Law Journal, 57, (with B. Hook & J. Neilsen).
- 'Why Should Lawyers be Different? Professional Placements in Legal Education', (2000) 4(1) Practical Experiences in Professional Education, 1.
Higher Degrees Research Supervision
- Abida Arunachalam - The Contributions of Paralegals to the Australian Legal System - Roles, Education and Regulation.
- Yael Berger - Decision making amongst CTP claimants: self representation, risk appraisal and choice in situations of uncertainty.
- Craig Cameron - Work Integrated Learning: A Study of Legal Risk, Tertiary Liability and Risk Management by University Lawyers.
- Peggy Kerdo - Adversarialism, Emotional Intelligence, Clinical Legal Education and the Practice of Law.
- Michael McNamara -Towards a Deeper Understanding of Supervision And The Practice of Law: A Focus on the Queensland Situation.
- Jeff Thompson - Non-verbal communication and mediation.
- Steven White - Companion and farmed animals: A regulatory analysis.