Allan does research combining law and social theory centred on class, gender, race and sexuality. His particular focus is on Feminist Standpoint Theory, Australian sovereignties, and ideologies. Allan previously served as an editor of the Griffith Law Review (2008-2012) and currently serves as an Editor of the Alternative Law Journal. He is the founding editor of the Griffith Journal of Law & Human Dignity where he serves as an Executive and Consulting Editor.
- Property Law
- Feminist Standpoint Theory
- Sociobiology and biological determinism
- Community Title
Current teaching areas
- Property Law and Legal Theory
- Communication Processes-in-Law
- 'Critique in Legal Education: Another Journey' (2017) 26 Legal Education Review 137.
- 'Gender: “Developments” in Australian Law' (2017) 31 The Journal of Jurisprudence 19.
- 'Marx at the Gold Coast: Reflections on teaching and the confrontation with ideology' (2016) 4(1) Class, Race and Corporate Power.
- 'Queensland: A return to the Moonlight state?’ (2014) 39(1) Alternative Law Journal 3 (with K. Galloway)
- 'Australian Sovereignty, Indigenous Standpoint Theory and Feminist Standpoint Theory: Why First Peoples Sovereignties Matter’ (2013) 22(2) Griffith Law Review 315
- 'Non-Indigenous Lawyers Writing About Indigenous People: Colonisation in practice', (2012) 37(2) Alternative Law Journal 107
- ‘Australian Aboriginality and Sociobiology’ (2011) 11 Tribal Law Journal online: http://lawschool.unm.edu/tlj/volumes/vol11/Ardill.pdf
- ‘Sociobiology, Racism and Australian Colonisation’ (2009) 18(1) Griffith Law Review 82
- 'Firebombs and Ferguson: A review of hate crime laws as applied to child sex offenders’ (2009) 34(4) Alternative Law Journal 257 (with B. Wardle)
- ‘The law of strata title in Australia: A jurisdictional stocktake’ (2006) 13 Australian Property Law Journal 1 (with K. Everton-Moore, C. Guilding & J. Warnken)
- 'An agency theory perspective on the owner/manager relationship in tourism-based condominiums’ (2005) 26 Tourism Management 409 (with C. Guilding, J. Warnken & E. Fredline)
- ‘Community Titles Reforms in Queensland: A regulatory panacea for commercial, residential and tourism stakeholders’ (2004) 25(1) Queensland Lawyer 13 (with K. Everton-Moore, E. Fredline, C. Guilding & J. Warnken)
- ‘The right to a fair trial: Prejudicial Pre-trial media publicity’ (2000) 25 Alternative Law Journal 3
- 'The Ideology and rhetoric of positive accounting theory’ (2000) 6 Accounting, Accountability & Performance 1