Information for students

For general enquiries or advice about your studies, please contact Student Connect via one of the available methods listed on the website.

Visit Student Connect

To see how Griffith is supporting international students, visit the COVID-19 international student support page.

Visit international student support

To read about the return to campus plans for Trimester 2, and other changes to Learning and Teaching practices, visit the Studying in Trimester 2 page.

Visit Studying in Trimester 2

If you are feeling anxious or concerned

The Griffith Online Health and Wellness Centre can direct you to counselling services on campus, as well as numerous other support resources.

If you require support outside University hours, the Griffith Mental Wellbeing Support Line is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to provide immediate assistance for emotional and mental distress. Phone 1300 785 442 or text 0488 884 146.

Frequently asked questions

Learning and teaching
What do I need to study online?

You can access course software from your own device (Windows and Mac) using

Most courses will require:

I'm currently doing work integrated learning (e.g., placements, internships, industry or community partnered projects) - what should I do?

All international Work Integrated Learning (WIL) placements have been suspended. The University will work with students to reschedule as soon as possible.

Domestic Work Integrated Learning can operate where it is safe to do so. It is the expectation that students will only be placed in organisations with a COVID Safe Plan in place which details their provisions for compliance with social distancing and adherence to safe work practices.

Queensland Health Guidelines and the University’s policies must be adhered to before a placement occurs (in person or online).

Will there be changes to the start dates for trimesters 2 and 3?

In recognition of transitioning learning and teaching to online delivery, the break between Trimester 1 and Trimester 2 has been extended by one week. Trimester 2 will now start a week later than originally scheduled, on Monday 13 July. The extended break will assist students and staff to adapt to the current situation and allow more time to recuperate after Trimester 1.

See Academic Calendar and key dates for further information.

Are classes being cancelled?

The University transitioned classes to remote/online learning from April 1. Some Learning and Teaching activities are being brought back on campus, where it is feasible to do so. For information on adjustments we are making to our teaching and learning experiences please visit studying in Trimester 2.

What is happening with face-to-face lectures, classes and learning activities?

For information on adjustments we are making to our teaching and learning experiences please visit studying in Trimester 2.

Computer laboratories remain open for students who require these at our Nathan and Gold Coast campuses. Return to campus activities have also commenced, including to those previously closed campuses of Logan, Mount Gravatt and Southbank.

However, this return is being carefully planned for and is phased to ensure compliance with Health guidelines. To keep up to date with these, please check your student emails, as well as Learning@Griffith messages for updates regarding your individual courses.

Students involved in on-campus research projects should liaise with their academic supervisors.

Where can I find information on Griffith's financial position and plan?

In recognition of the longer-term financial impact and challenges faced by Griffith and the broader higher education sector, the University has established the Roadmap to Sustainability (R2S) program to reshape the University for future success and sustainability.

Can I access financial support to keep studying?

The following financial support options are available to eligible students.

Coronavirus Supplement

The Australian Government has announced that university students receiving certain welfare payments will be eligible for the fortnightly $550 Coronavirus supplement. If you are currently receiving one of the following payments, you will automatically receive the temporary supplement:

  • Youth Allowance for students
  • Austudy

See the Australian Government announcement for more details.

COVID-19 Student Support Bursary

Griffith has so far dispensed over $2m to the COVID-19 Student Support Bursary, available to undergraduate and postgraduate students experiencing severe financial disadvantage that is impacting their ability to study online. The bursary has now been increased with a total pool of $5m available in order to provide assistance for students struggling with living expenses. Applications for Trimester 2 open July 6th, 2020.


Griffith has invested over $2.5m in a broad range of scholarships for students experiencing financial hardship or educational disadvantage. You can check your eligibility and apply for these online via the scholarships and awards website.

Other financial support

If you are a current domestic undergraduate student, you may be eligible for an interest-free student loan or education costs bursary to assist you with the purchase of course materials, equipment or the additional mobile data or internet plan required to undertake your study. See the student financial support site for more information.

Can I refund my parking permit?

Students and staff were eligible for a pro-rata refund effective Monday 13 April on their Griffith University parking permit. Please note that requesting a refund of annual permits will be seen as having relinquished the permit and students and staff will need to reapply for a permit when the University returns to normal business operations.

How do I obtain a refund?

  • If you purchased a permit via credit card:
    Please email advising that you wish to cancel your permit. Please provide the following details:
    • your full name
    • your bank account and BSB number.
I’m having issues with my landlord because I am having trouble paying my rent. What can I do?

If you are currently experiencing a tenancy dispute, information is available at the Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) website.

When tenancy disputes occur, the RTA encourages tenants/residents and property managers/owners to try to resolve disagreements by talking to each other. Often disputes arise when someone does not meet the terms of the tenancy agreement so it is a good idea for everyone to understand their rights and responsibilities.

The RTA's free dispute resolution service provides conciliation to help people resolve tenancy disputes if they are unable to do this themselves.

I’m having some issues paying my rent because of COVID-19. Are there grants I can access?

See Queensland Government COVID-19 Rental Grant for information about whether you're eligible for this grant, and to apply.

Funding is available for Queenslanders who have lost their job due to the impacts of COVID-19 and who do not have access to other financial assistance.


Applicants must meet the following criteria:

  • you live in Queensland
  • you have, or will shortly have, a bond registered with the Residential Tenancies Authority
  • you are an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or have a temporary or permanent protection visa or possess a bridging visa
  • you do not have more than $10,000 in cash and savings
  • you can provide evidence of attempts to negotiate a payment plan with your lessor
  • you have lost your job and have applied to Centrelink for income support
  • you are waiting for your application with Centrelink to be approved.
What's happening about academic standing and progression?

You will still receive a grade for your coursework. No student will be excluded from the University on academic grounds during this time.

Will there be any on-campus exams for in-trimester and end-of-trimester exams?

Practical, professional and performance related exams can be held on campus with the approval of the health and safety Expert Advisory Panel (EAP), where necessary. For example, Health Objective Structured Clinical Examinations or performance related activities.

Oral exams may be held face-to-face or online. There will otherwise be no on campus examinations.

Affected students will be advised in due course.

I will be sitting an online proctored exam, where can I find out more information?

For a comprehensive list of FAQs regarding online assessment and ProctorU, please refer to this document.

Can I get an assessment extension?

You may still apply for assessment extension. The course convenor can approve your extension under these circumstances:

  • medical grounds with a medical certificate, a maximum period of 21 calendar days
  • medical grounds with no medical certificate, a maximum period of five calendar days
  • bereavement, a maximum period of 21 calendar days
  • other personal, professional or exceptional circumstances, a maximum period of five calendar days.

Vice Chancellor's emails to students

In accordance with planning processes, Griffith has activated its emergency planning arrangements and convened a specialist advisory group.

The group will monitor and follow the advice of the Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health, Queensland Health and the World Health Organisation.