International students who have accepted their offer, paid their fees and have received a CoE are now on their way to obtaining a student visa and beginning their journey to Brisbane or the Gold Coast. Before you arrive in Australia there are some important things you need to organise:
International student visa
All international students must possess a current student visa while they are studying in Australia. As a Griffith College student, you can apply for a single visa to cover the duration of your studies. Under this visa you can package your Griffith College program with your degree at Griffith University and your English language program (if required).
How do I apply?
Prospective international students intending to study in Australia must obtain a student visa from an Australian Embassy, Consulate or High Commission in their home country before travelling.
What are the visa requirements?
The main requirements for a visa application may include:
- A letter of offer from Griffith College
- An electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from Griffith College, which is issued after you have paid your tuition fees
- A medical check-up
- Proof of academic history and English proficiency
- Proof of financial support
What are the visa conditions?
To maintain your visa you must:
- Study full time while in Australia
- Attend at least 80 percent of all scheduled classes
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress
- Maintain a valid enrolment at Griffith College and inform staff if you change your student status
- Advise Griffith College within 7 days if you change your Australian address
- Have enough money to cover tuition fees and living expenses while in Australia
- Not work more than 40 hours per fortnight when your course is in session (other than work which has been registered as a part of the course). A fortnight means any period of 14 days commencing on a Monday and ending at the end of the second following Sunday.
- Maintain valid Overseas Student Health Cover
- Not transfer between registered education providers within the first six months of the starting date of your program, without a release letter.
The Department of Immigration and Border Protection has more information about visa conditions and requirements.
How long is my visa valid?
Your student visa will be issued for the duration of your Collge program, as stated in the CoE that you will receive from Griffith College. If you plan to continue your studies at Griffith University, you may package your College and Griffith University programs together and receive a CoE for both.
The advantage of this is that you will receive one visa for the entire duration of your studies at Griffith College and Griffith University. With your letter of offer, you will receive an Acceptance of Offer form. You should indicate on this form whether you require a CoE for just Griffith College or for both Griffith College and Griffith University.
Please note: if your Griffith College program finishes in September and your university program starts in February of the following year, Australian immigration law may require you to leave Australia between October and February. Griffith College takes no responsibility for students who fail to take this into consideration when selecting their program.
Overseas health cover
As a condition of your student visa, you must maintain OSHC while in Australia. You must obtain this cover for the proposed duration of your visa. If you have an accident or health problem within Australia, you will be able to redeem some or all of your medical costs.
Griffith College can organise OSHC on your behalf. Further details will be provided in your letter of offer. Allianz overseas student health cover has more information.
Choosing where to live is a very important decision you need to make. Once you know on which campus you will be studying you can select a type of accommodation that is available.