Understand how to apply and meet your visa conditions

International students are required to hold a valid student visa for the duration of study in Australia. Under this visa you can package your Griffith College program with your degree at Griffith University and your English language program (if required).

How to apply

Prospective international students intending to study in Australia must obtain a student visa from an Australian Embassy, Consulate or High Commission in their home country before travelling.

Department of Home Affairs


When you apply for a student visa, you must provide evidence that:

  • your primary purpose in coming to Australia is to study
  • you satisfy the visa's English requirements
  • you accept responsibility for obtaining your visa and meeting the conditions
  • you have genuine access to sufficient funds to cover your tuition costs, overseas student health insurance, return airfares and living expenses for yourself and any dependents.

Find out more

Document checklist

Use the Australian Government's document checklists to help you complete your application.

Please note, visa applicants may also require a health check and/or a finance assessment.

Document checklists

Bringing your family

If you wish to bring your family with you to Australia, it is important you understand how to apply for the appropriate visa

Understand your visa conditions

To maintain your visa you must:

  • Study full time while in Australia
  • Attend at least 80 percent of all scheduled classes
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress
  • Maintain a valid enrolment at Griffith College and inform staff if you change your student status
  • Advise Griffith College within 7 days if you change your Australian address
  • Have enough money to cover tuition fees and living expenses while in Australia
  • Not work more than 40 hours per fortnight when your course is in session (other than work which has been registered as a part of the course). A fortnight means any period of 14 days commencing on a Monday and ending at the end of the second following Sunday.
  • Maintain valid Overseas Student Health Cover
  • Not transfer between registered education providers within the first six months of the starting date of your program, without a release letter.

The Department of Home Affairs has more information about visa conditions and requirements.

Department of Home Affairs

Overseas student health cover for international students

It is a condition of your student visa that you have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your student visa. This cost is separate to your tuition charges. You must provide evidence of your health cover when you apply for a student visa.


Overseas Student Health Cover provides cover towards the costs of:

  • out-of-hospital medical treatment
  • in-hospital medical treatment
  • prescription medicines
  • emergency ambulance assistance
  • pre-existing conditions (after the first 12 months of your policy)

You will have:

  • access to a 24-hour emergency helpline
  • on-campus support
  • efficient direct billing and claiming processes.

Griffith College can organise OSHC on your behalf. Further details will be provided in your letter of offer.

Our preferred provider is Allianz Global Assistance.

Allianz Global Assistance

Contact us

Do you have a question? Get in touch with us