B Science, GDip Second Studies, M Industrial Relations, PhD
Adjunct Associate Professor, Griffith Business School
- Union strategy, culture and protest behaviour
- Vulnerable workers, including women, youth and migrants
- Employment relations in retail, the community sector and universities
- The teaching of business subjects
Refereed journal articles
- Ressia, S, Strachan, G and Bailey, J 2016, ‘Going up or going down? Occupational mobility outcomes of skilled migrants in Australia’, Asia-Pacific Journal of Human Resources, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 64–85.
- Bailey, J, Peetz, D, Strachan, G, Whitehouse, G and Broadbent, K 2016, ‘Academic pay loadings and gender in Australian universities”, Journal of Industrial Relations, vol. 58, no. 5, pp. 647-668.
- Kensbock, S, Jennings, G, Bailey, J and Patiar, A 2016, “Performing: Hotel Room attendants’ workplace experiences”, Annals of Tourism Research, vol. 56, no. C, pp. 112-127.
- French, E, Bailey, J, van Acker, E and Wood, L 2015, ‘From mountaintop to corporate ladder–What new professionals really really want in a capstone experience!’ Teaching in Higher Education, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 767-782.
- Skinner, TC, Peetz, D, Strachan, G, Whitehouse, G, Bailey, J and Broadbent, K 2015, Self-reported harassment and bullying in Australian universities: explaining differences between regional, metropolitan and elite institutions, Journal of Higher Education Policy and Management, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 558-571.
- Bailey, J and Robertson, M 2015, ‘A care union in a time of austerity’, Labour and Industry. Published online 18 May 2015 at doi: 10.1080/10301763.2015.1043509.
- Bailey, J and Peetz, D 2015, ‘Australian unions and collective bargaining’, Journal of Industrial Relations, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 401-421.
- Bailey, J, Price, R, Pyman, A and Parker, J 2015, ‘Union power in retail: Contrasting cases in Australia and New Zealand’, New Zealand Journal of Employment Relations, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 1-18.
- Kensbock, S, Bailey, J, Jennings, G and Patiar, A 2015, ‘Sexual harassment of women working as room attendants within 5-star hotels’, Gender, Work & Organization, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 36-50.
- Price, R, Bailey, J and Pyman, A 2014, ‘Varieties of collaboration: The case of an Australian retail union’, International Journal of Human Resource Management, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 748-761.
- McDonald, P, Bailey, J, Price, R and Pini, B 2014, ‘School-aged workers: Industrial citizens in waiting?’, Journal of Sociology, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 315-330.
- Kensbock, S, Jennings, G, Bailey, J and Patiar, A 2014, ‘Distinction work and its consequences for women working as room attendants within five star hotels on the Gold Coast, Australia’, Hospitality & Society, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 55-73.
- van Acker, E, Bailey, J, Wilson, K and French, E 2014, ‘Capping them off! Exploring and explaining the patterns in undergraduate capstone subjects in Australian business schools’, Higher Education Research and Development, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 1049-1062.
- Bailey, J and Peetz D 2014, 'Australian unions and collective bargaining in 2013', Journal of Industrial Relations, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 415-432.
- Bailey, J, Robertson, M and Hulme, L 2014, ‘Challenging the “care penalty”: The Queensland pay equity campaign for community services workers’, Journal of Industrial Relations, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 43-61.
- Strachan, G, Bailey, J Troup, C and Wallace, M 2013, ‘Gender equity in professional and general staff in Australian universities: The contemporary picture’, Labour and Industry, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 215-230.
- Bailey, J 2013, ‘“Maybe it’s because I’m green”: Transition pedagogies for IR and HR students’, Labour and Industry, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 200-214.
- Kensbock, S, Jennings, G, Bailey, J and Patiar, A 2013, ' "The lowest rung": Women room attendants’ perceptions of five-star hotels’ operational hierarchies', International Journal of Hospitality Management, vol. 35, pp. 360-368.
- McDonald, P, Price, R, Bailey, J and Pini, B 2013, ‘Young people’s knowledge of work rights’, Youth Studies Australia. vol. 32, no. 2.
- Bailey, J and Peetz, D 2013, ‘Unions and collective bargaining’, Journal of Industrial Relations. vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 403-420.
- Peetz, D and Bailey, J 2012, ‘Dancing alone: The Australian union movement over three decades’, Journal of Industrial Relations, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 525-541.
- Bailey, J, Macdonald, F and Whitehouse, G 2012, ‘“No leg to stand on”: The moral economy of IR changes’, Economic and Industrial Democracy, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 441-461.
- Price, R, Bailey, J, McDonald, P and Pini, B 2011, ‘Employers’ and child workers: An institutional approach’. Industrial Relations Journal, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 220-235.
- McDonald, P, Pini, B, Bailey, J and Price, R. 2011, ‘Contested terrain: Youth’s aspirations for education, work, family and leisure’, Work, Employment & Society, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 68-84.
- van Acker, E & Bailey, J 2011, ‘Embedding generic skills in capstone courses’, Asian Social Science, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 69-76.
- Bailey, J 2010, ‘Mt Lesueur as a “space of engagement”: A Rural-urban, cross-class conservation campaign’, Labour History. vol. 99, Nov, pp. 37-54.
- Bailey, J and Gwyther, R 2010, ‘Red and green: Towards a cross-fertilisation of labour and environmental history’, Labour History. vol. 99, Nov, pp. 1-16.
- Bailey, J, Price, R, Esders, L and McDonald, P 2010, ‘Daggy shirts, daggy slogans? Marketing unions to young people’, Journal of Industrial Relations. vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 43-60.
Forthcoming journal articles
- Bailey, J, Troup, C and Strachan, G (forthcoming 2017) ‘Part-time work and advancement: A study of female professional staff in Australian universities’, Journal of Higher Education Policy and Management.
- Ressia, S, Strachan, G and Bailey, J (forthcoming 2017) ‘Operationalizing intersectionality: An approach to uncovering the complexity of the migrant job search in Australia’, Gender, Work and Organization.
- Price, R, McDonald, P, Bailey, J and Pini, B (eds) 2011, Young people and work, Ashgate, Aldershot.
- Bailey, J 2016, ‘Union density’, in A Wilkinson and S Johnstone (eds) The encyclopaedia of human resource management, Cheltenham, Edward Elgar, pp. 462-3.
- Peetz, D, Price, R and Bailey, J 2015, Ageing Australian unions and the 'youth problem', in Hodder, A and Kretsos, L (eds) Young workers and trade unions: A global view, Houndmills, Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 54-70.
- Bailey, J 2012, “Ken Laidlaw”, entry in Nolan, M. (ed.) Australian Dictionary of Biography. vol. 18. 1981-1990. L-Z. Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, pp. 1-2.
- Peetz, D and Bailey, J 2011, ‘Neoliberal evolution and union Responses in Australia’, in A Wilkinson, G Gall & R Hurd (eds) International handbook on labour unions: Responses to neo-liberalism, Edward Elgar, Cheltenham, pp. 62-81.
- Esders, L, McDonald, P and Bailey, J 2011, ‘Declining youth membership: The views of union officials’, in R Price, P McDonald, J Bailey and B Pini (eds) Young people and work, Ashgate, Aldershot, pp. 263-281.
- Price, R, McDonald, P, Bailey, J and Pini, B 2011, ‘A majority experience: Young people’s encounters with the labour market’, in R Price, P McDonald, J Bailey & B Pini (eds) Young people and work, Ashgate, Aldershot, pp. 1-17.
- Lynch, S, Price, R, Pyman, A and Bailey, J 2011, ‘Comparative retail trade unions’, in I Grugilis & O Bozkurt (eds) Retail work, Palgrave Macmillan, Houndmills, pp. 277-296.
- Price, R, Bailey, J and Oliver, D 2010, ‘Managing young workers: The privileged generation?’, in G Strachan, E French and J Burgess (eds) 2009, Managing diversity in Australia: Theory and practice, McGraw-Hill, Sydney, pp. 239-253.
Forthcoming book chapters
- Ressia, S, Strachan, G and Bailey, J (forthcoming 2017) ‘Gender and migration: The experiences of skilled professional women’, in G Healy, K Broadbent and G. Strachan (eds) Women in the professions, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Strachan, G, Peetz, D, Whitehouse, G, Bailey, J. and Broadbent, K (forthcoming 2017) ‘Academics: Segmented careers, harassment, home lives and flexibility’, in D Peetz and G Murray (eds) Women, labor segmentation and regulation: Varieties of gender gaps, Palgrave Macmillan.
Book and conference reviews
- Bailey, J 2013, Review of Standing, G 2011, ‘The precariat: The new dangerous class’ (Bloomsbury Academic, London) in Journal of Industrial Relations. vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 461-463.
- Bailey, J 2011, Review of Tattersall, A (2010) ‘Power in coalition: Strategies for strong unions and social change’ (Cornell University Press, Ithaca, NY) in Industrial Relations/Relations Industrielles, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 305-307.
- Bailey, J 2011, Review of McGrath-Champ, S, Herod, A and Rainnie, A (eds) (2010) ‘Handbook of employment and society: Working space’ (Edward Elgar, Cheltenham and Northampton, MA) in Journal of Industrial Relations, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 259-262.
- Bailey, J 2010, Review of Irving, T and Cahill, R (2010) ‘Radical Sydney: Places, portraits and unruly episodes’ (UNSW Press, Sydney) in The Queensland Journal of Labour History, no. 11 (September), pp. 45-47.
- Bailey, J 2010, Review of Bowden, B, Blackwood, S, Rafferty, C and Allan C (eds) (2010) ‘Work and strife in paradise: The history of labour Relations in Queensland 1859-2009’ (Federation Press, Sydney) in The Queensland Journal of Labour History, no. 11 (September), pp. 42-44.
- Bailey, J, Gwyther, R, Jacobsen, D and Mallory, G 2010, Conference report: “Red, green and in-between: Labour and the environment in historical context”, Labour History, vol. 98 (May), pp. 213-216.
- Guest Editor, thematic in Labour History, November 2010 (of articles which explore the intersections between labour history and environmental history).
- Broadbent, K, Strachan, G, Bailey, J and Ressia, S 2010, Reaching out: Enhancing the accessibility of the Queensland Working Women's Service (QWWS) for migrant women. Griffith University, Brisbane.
- Bailey, J & Walton, A 2009, The LHMU ambulance officers’ survey: February 2009. Consultancy for the Liquor, Hospitality and Miscellaneous Workers’ Union, March 2009.
- Elton, J, Bailey, J and ten others 2007, Women and WorkChoices: Impacts on the low pay sector, Centre for Work + Life, University of South Australia, August 2007, available at http://www.nfaw.org/media/2007/07-08-13.html.
- MacDonald, F, Whitehouse, G and Bailey, J 2007, Tipping the scales: A qualitative study of the impact of Work Choices on women in low-paid employment in Queensland, Report to the Queensland Department of Employment and Industrial Relations, June 2007, available at http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/industrial/index.htm. (This project attracted $20,000 in funding from the Queensland Department of Employment and Industrial Relations).
National Competitive Grants
Australian Learning and Teaching Council Grant ($218,000)
2010- 2012 Australian Learning and Teaching Council (ALTC) Priority Program:
“Capstone Courses in Undergraduate Business Degrees: Better Course Design, Better Learning Activities, Better Assessment” (with Dr van Acker, PPP, Professors Keithia Wilson and Lorelle Frazer and Dr Ray Hibbins, plus partners from four other Universities: QUT, Macquarie, Newcastle and Wollongong)
ARC Linkage Grants
2009-2012 Gender and Employment Equity: Strategies for Advancement in Australian Universities
$348,000 (plus $180,000 cash, and in-kind, from partners)
Host Institution: Griffith University
CI, with Professor Glenda Strachan (lead CI); Professor Gillian Whitehouse (UQ); Professor David Peetz; Dr Kaye Broadbent
- National Tertiary Education Union
- Universities Australia
2007-2010 Social Citizenship and Employment for Secondary School Students
$231,246 (plus $52,500 cash, and in-kind, from partners)
Host Institution: QUT
CI, with Associate Professor Paula McDonald (QUT) (lead CI); Professor Barbara Pini (Curtin); Dr Robin Price (QUT); Ms Theresa Chase (PI - YWAS)
- Brisbane Catholic Education Centre
- Young Workers Advisory Service
- Department of Education, Queensland
- Queensland Council of Unions